Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Disproportionate arms :(

So, it's driving me absolutely nuts that my arms are just NOT losing at the rate that the rest of me seems to be losing. I can fit into smaller sizes, but the arms will almost ALWAYS be very snug, or even so tight that I have to wait until the shirt is loose on my torso, but just fitting the arms, to be able to wear it.

I'm sure there's not much that can be done about this, just crappy luck of the genetic draw. I'm curious, though, if anyone else has or is currently struggling with this, and if it ever gets any better.

(also, I haven't done much resistance training in a while, so it's not extra muscle that I know of.)
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 415/413/175

Height: 5'9"

maybe you need to do more resistance to try and gain more muscle in your arms to help make them smaller? Just a thought....
I have large arms too, sleeves never fit right even if the rest of the shirt does, so annoying!
Good luck with it!
KiltedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The only good news is that eventually your arms will shrink in size.

I highly reccomend weight training for a variety of reasons but the last thing you want is skinny fat arms.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My arms used to be big and flabby. Then I lost weight and did a lot of weight lifting. Now they're big and muscular!

They'll always be big, but weights are awesome for making them look a LOT better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
My arms used to be big and flabby. Then I lost weight and did a lot of weight lifting. Now they're big and muscular!

They'll always be big, but weights are awesome for making them look a LOT better.
Same! I am so happy with how I can see muscular definition in my arms... and of course there is a bit of saggy skin... but, not nearly as much as I thought I would have. I rub lotion on them EVERY night, too.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #6  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I had the same problem with you. I would wear cardigans and avoid baring my arms at all cost.

They do get smaller though. I've noticed that yoga and strength training has helped tone them a lot the last 20 or so pounds!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

The women in my family has small waists...but huge arms. So I can relate. It drives me nuts!!
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I can relate as well! - always have had big arms. And now that I'm pushing 50, I have the dreaded "bat-wings" (LOL, okay, not really laughing!!)

Weight lifting DOES help. My arms are still big (I still have 30 pounds to lose) but they are much more toned, and therefore not quite as flabby.

And once I've lost "the ******* weight" if I am still not happy about my bat-wings after maintaining for a year, I am not above seeing a plastic surgeon to get some suckage done! Seriously! - I was not meant to fly, ya know! And there's more than one way to skin a cat, er, ummm. BAT WING.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #9  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Your arms do not have to stay big. From experience, when I weighed 235 my arms were huge. They were also disproportionate to the rest of my body. Since losing 91 lbs. and lifting weights every other day like clock work, they are quite small. I never thought they would be. I figured I'd be like John said above, skinny fat arms. LOL
Keep working on it! You can do it. They will get much, much better. Don't worry about gaining muscle in your arms. Women don't really have the capacity to get huge arms without supplements and training for serious lifting. Your arms will look better than you ever imagined. Good luck.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I used to have this problem when I WAS thinner, although I haven't noticed lately.

I've always had an awful time finding clothes that fit me, whatever size I was. There was never enough room in the thighs, too much room in the waist. Armholes too big, yet the arms too small (?!) It's an ongoing struggle.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

My arms got bigger when I started because I was building up muscle with weight lifting now they are finally starting to slim down and when my arm is a certain way or I flex you can see the muscle poking through. I understand your frustration I'm hoping the fat will get off them already so people can finally see my hard work and so I don't have to get shirts that are too big for me just so my arms will fit.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

My arms were the very last thing to go, actually not even at my goal weight of 145, but when I gradually slipped under during maintenance. I read somewhere that women are genetically programmed to put their fat on hips, thighs and upper arms. I forgot what the equivalent for men was. Bellies and backs I think.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote