Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  

Cool Rock Bottom?

My question to you all is....when did you decide that you were going to lose the weight? Did you have a "rock bottom" moment? Was it a photo? a rude comment?

I decided I needed to lose the weight when I went on vacation to Mexico a few months ago...I felt so uncomfortable in my bathing suit and felt horrible looking at myself in the summer outfits...I knew I needed to do something before summer because I would be miserable if I didnt. Hope to hear from you!
MichelleLoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 142/128/100

Height: 5'2"

Oh, I'm sorry you felt bad about yourself. I hope you still had a fun vacation anyway! You can do whatever you set your mind to doing, and I know you'll be able to conquer the negative feelings you have about yourself. The thing with me is that I have "started over" many times. I've had lots of rock bottoms (hits rock bottom and is starting to dig - ha ha ha). But I never feel like giving up or that I am a loser or anything. The thing is we are all precious and worth working on. We need a daily pep talk, or daily prayer if you are a person of faith. I find that prayer helps me if I'm having trouble controlling my appetite or desire for fattening (yummy but marginally nutritious) food.

Remember that you are worth the effort!
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for your kind words....I still had fun on my vacation but it was on my mind the WHOLE time. I felt awful and hated looking in the mirror. It definitly put a damper on it but I tried not to let it bother me too much. I just knew that as soon as I got home....it was ON!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 415/413/175

Height: 5'9"

I think for me it was when I had trouble getting off the couch, and couldn't figure out why....then my daughter asked me to walk around the block with her and I thought I was going to pass out....and I thought....omg, I cant do this anymore!!!
I am just starting out on my journey, and I have a really long long way to go...but reading the success stories and seeing the before and after photos, and talking to the people on this forum are really motivating me to "do it this time!"
KiltedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

For me, it's mostly been not being the person I want to be, the best version of me-I wasn't even striving for it! And I felt bad about that. My ideal me exercises as well as pursues knowledge; My inner me is vivacious and outgoing and I feel that my self image prevents me from being that girl-so eventually, I had to get off my rump and try-trying has turned into doing and just as I have been,you will be amazed at your own progress.

I do understand what you mean though about vacation-I went on a study abroad to Greece, and we were on so many beaches. I went on the beach anyway, but I really wanted to be able to really strut my stuff. I had a ton of fun though-and I am glad that you got to go to Mexico-I've been there and it is beautiful! Next time I go abroad, I want to be able to really let loose, and I know what you mean! Good luck! You'll do amazingly
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

My rock bottom consisted of many, many stones. My perfect storm came to a head in January.

1) I wasn’t sleeping well anymore because it became such an effort to roll over and I woke myself up.
2) I met two guys over a period of 3 weeks who clearly told me they were just looking for a physical relationship. My guy friend told me it was probably because I was overweight and a-hole guys will use that to their advantage. Because, after all, that must mean we are desperate and needy! Whatever. But that comment really bothered me. Perhaps because, for me, there was a little truth in it.
3) Life was passing me by. I had zero interest in everything I once enjoyed.
4) A pair of my fat jeans became my skinny jeans.
5) My 99 year old grandmother had to write herself a note on Christmas Day to help her distinguish me from my sister. I was the “chubby” one. (FYI…my sister weighs 140; hence my goal weight of 139 – LOL)
6) Someone I have been internet/poker pals with for over a year (he lives in Canada) is meeting me in the States over Memorial Day. I sent him altered pics of myself.
7) I am no longer in the family calendar because I do not allow pics of myself to be taken. That’s going to end starting with the 2012 edition!

There are many more reasons but these are the top few.

Thanks for starting this thread. I needed to remind myself why I am doing this!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5

my mom died and it made me think about my own mortality. Not in the way you would think though. She was never heavy and the illness that took her live wasn't related to weight or diet in any way. But she was 25 years older than me. That means I could be dead in 2 years. I've already been "dieting" for over 25 years do I really want to spend the next 25 years doing it to? is that all I want my life to be?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180?/142/139

Height: 5"11

I could not stand looking in the mirror. Even when I posed in front of the mirror I was horrified. There was no flattering angle. But worse than the reflection was the fact that I had outgrown all my fat clothes! I was wearing two pairs of yoga pants all the time. They were actually the same Lululemon pants that I owned in two different colors. Black or brown. Brown or black. One pair of pants in two colors. Those were my only options. I threw a party for our friends at our house and wore yoga pants (the brown ones). I kept telling people that I had been so busy cooking that I didn't have time to change (or even shower!) but that wasn't the truth. The truth was that my yoga pants (sweatpants, really) were the only thing that fit. My thin, handsome husband wore a navy velvet blazer from Italy, a silk pocket square, and stylish jeans and his unshowered wife (me) wore yoga pants and a hoodie...it was pathetic. I refused to buy bigger clothes because I have a fortune invested in clothes already and none of my favorite stores/designers made clothes large enough for me anymore. I can honestly say that aside from being ashamed, I was genuinely scared. It was scary to not recognize my own body and feel so out of control.

As long as I am being anonymously honest online...Besides the yoga pants, one last thing was the final straw...my pubic area got fat and you could see it through the yoga pants!! I would tie a sweater around my hips so that the arms would hang down in front and hide my fatty crotch bump. In college I tied on sweaters to hide by butt, but 20 years later I'm hiding my fat va-jay-jay?? Yuck. Thankfully, that fatty pubic area has mostly disappeared already.

I'm proud to say that even though I still have a ways to go before I hit my goal, all my body related fear is gone. I feel very in control and positive about the future. Dieting has been difficult in some ways, but a real pleasure in others. To live without fear and a sense of control over my body was far worse than counting calories and being on a diet. I'm a lot happier and calmer on a diet than I could have imagined and I wish I would have taken control sooner. Being at rock bottom was very emotionally uncomfortable to say the least.

The greatest thing about rock bottom is that the next day feels better!
StephInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Honestly my rock bottom was when the man that I truely loved told me that after a certain point when someone puts on too much weight they are no longer attractive. He was saying it about someone else but he gave me this look and I knew he was talking about me. Later on when we got into a fight he said he didn't find me that attractive to begin with. I realized it was because of my weight and it broke my heart. Whether that was the real reason or not however I promised myself that I would never have to question myself if it was or not again. Lame reason to start but I found plenty of other reasons along the way that are far more important to me now.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #10  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephInLA View Post
...my pubic area got fat and you could see it through the yoga pants!!
Steph, you brought a tear to my eye because I thought I was the ONLY one who struggled and suffered with this. In fact, I have had this issue for so long I thought it was a hereditary thing that happened as women in my family got older. I never equated it to a weight thing. But lately I have noticed it shrinking and to finally know that I no longer have to suffer with this for the rest of my life is a feeling beyond words. It was the single, most shameful thing I’ve had to deal with and I never, ever accepted it as part of my body.

Thank you.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I guess I didn't so much have a "rock bottom" moment. I had known for years and years that I was fat, but the idea of trying to lose the weight was scary and complex, not to mention restrictive. I think, in all honesty, that part of me was waiting for a "quick fix" to come out that would be proven effective. A Magic Pill basically.

Then in September, my 6 year old daughter (well she's 7 now) asked me to "pinky swear" to quit smoking. I had been saying for weeks that I was going to do it, but again, was too afraid to actually DO it. Once I had PROMISED her I would quit, then I had to do it. I wasn't going to break my promise to her. I have been smoke-free since September 6. My husband still smokes, but I am totally fine without them.

Then in December, I was diagnosed with "fairly significant" arthritis in my left knee, and Insulin Resistance. My husband was then diagnosed with Diabetes. I realized that I was going to be diagnosed with diabetes in my near future too, if I didn't get a grip on this. As well, at 36 I am too young to be disabled by a "bum knee". I realized that if I could quit smoking, I could lose weight too. It took me a couple of months of going on and off plan repeatedly, but I think I have it figured out now. Overall my body feels AMAZING, not just because I've lost 16lbs but because I am living a HEALTHY lifestyle, with lots of water, and exercise, and proper sleep. It's amazing the change!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I started Jan. 2010 as I thought perhaps it would be easier to make friends if I looked like everyone else. But, I upped the anty in August after have chest pains and failing a stress test.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #13  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago and lost 150 pounds. Over the last five years, I have gained back over half that weight, due to injury, medication, and just plain laziness. I got married in October 2010 and while I love my wedding photos, I *HATE* my wedding photos... I hate looking at that fat girl, knowing I squandered all the hard work I put into losing the 150 pounds just to be fat again on my wedding day.

The final motivation for the GB surgery was my father's diabetes diagnosis. The final motivation for WW - which I just joined on Saturday March 26th - was my mother's diabetes diagnosis.

I turn 40 this year, and I want many many healthy years with my husband. We're still debating whether we want to try to have a baby, because that clock is running out of time. I need to lose the regain. There's no other option.

The upside to starting again this time? I know what I look like thinner. I know how GOOD I felt, physically and emotionally. And I know I can do it.

I felt like a failure for the regain. I've moved on from that. I now feel like a success for starting over.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #14  

Shaniam do you enjoy reading? I also read this book while I was on vacation which inspired me to lose weight as well BUT it seems simular to the story you mentioned about the guy you are meeting memorial weekend. You have to read it! Its a great fast read. Its more of chick lit. It is called Jemima J. Look into it!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #15  

Actually that goes for everyone...Read Jemima J...its a great book about a larger woman who meets a guy over the internet and makes up her weight etc...dont want to spoil it...it really inspired me!