Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default I think I'm developing disordered eating...

It's scary to type this, but I need to put it somewhere. I think I often make cries for help to people close to me like "I haven't eaten in two days" and nobody seems to bat an eye...I'm actually starting to do it on purpose because I love the low weights that the scale shows me when I'm dehydrated. I got home from my trip last night and weighed myself after 2 weeks and was at 210 (I was 220 before, it was a 2 week trip). I was ecstatic, but now I'm afraid to eat because I know a lot of it was because I hadn't eaten all day. I know if I eat I'll probably put on at least 5 pounds of water and that freaks me out. I want to be in onederland so bad and being 11 pounds away just makes me want to starve until I'm safely there.

I know this is horrible behavior and I could be losing muscle and ruining my metabolism. I just can't get out of the mindset. I see such fast results when I don't eat and honestly I am never hungry because I'm depressed. Logically I know I need food but my body feels fine so it doesn't bother me.

I know the only thing I can do is just stay off the scale, eat normally for a few days and then weigh myself and do damage control. But I can't. It's so hard. The 210 on the scale was such a happy moment I practically jumped for joy.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #2  

I know it's the wrong way to do it, but I understand because I do the same thing.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I lost 50+ pounds fairly quickly just by eating right and monitoring my carbs. For some reason I decided to just try starving. I think what happened was I got really depressed and stopped eating and then noticed I was still losing weight pretty quickly and I created a monster...now I don't know how to stop it without sending myself into a mental breakdown. I can't stand to see the scale go up on top of everything else.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #4  
lucysam77

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5"4"

Hi Linsy:
You need to think about this, if you don't eat you're gonna lose weight but never going to learn how do it in the right way, so sooner or later you're gonna gain back all that weight and maybe some more. Don't worry about the scale, be patient.... set realistic mini goals like losing 7 pounds in a month and go for it, keep active, watch your diet.... this journey is about get healthy. :-)

Good Luck!
lucysam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Forget about your metabolism having problems if you don't eat for extended periods of time your organs will start to shut down, your hair will fall out, your blood pressure will plummet, you could develop a permanent heart condition or suffer heart failure, your bones will become brittle, you will lose your period, and you could have abnormal hair growth. Don't think just because you have fat to burn your body doesn't need nutrients. If you don't provide your body with what it needs it will canibalize itself and take it from various parts of its body. You could be doing serious damage to yourself and for what? So you can look skinny. Won't do you much good if you have to spend all your time in the hospital.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/213/175

Height: 5'6"

If you are committed to weight loss - and it sounds like you are - you will get there eventually, and doing it slowly and the right way will make sure you stay there. There's no need to do anything drastic - you might get to see the numbers you want right now, but doing unhealthy things to get there will mean you won't be able to maintain - or even worse, that you'll do permanent damage to your body.

Losing weight should be ultimately about getting healthy, and taking care of your body. You need to nourish yourself - your body and your mind - and make this journey about loving yourself and wanting to improve, not punishing yourself.
keraniluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #7  
lucysam77

Forget about your metabolism having problems if you don't eat for extended periods of time your organs will start to shut down, your hair will fall out, your blood pressure will plummet, you could develop a permanent heart condition or suffer heart failure, your bones will become brittle, you will lose your period, and you could have abnormal hair growth. Don't think just because you have fat to burn your body doesn't need nutrients. If you don't provide your body with what it needs it will canibalize itself and take it from various parts of its body. You could be doing serious damage to yourself and for what? So you can look skinny. Won't do you much good if you have to spend all your time in the hospital.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #8  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

It sounds like you know the right way to lose weight already. It may be tempting to see bigger movement on the scale, but bear in mind, when you see 210, that's not real and it's not sustainable. Obviously you can't just go on not eating, you already know that's not an option.

I'm assuming that when you tell people that you haven't eaten for 2 days and they don't bat an eye, that is probably because they assume you are being facetious, or exaggerating. Why not reach out to one of those people to have a real conversation and talk about how you are really feeling at this point in your journey?

Coming here is also always good for a reality check and for support or motivation.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/239/130

Height: 5'0"

Everyone has made important comments about your health, and I agree with those. Please consider all those things.

Consider that you'll be malnourished and dehydrated -- horrible for your organs, especially your kidneys. Your body does need healthy fat and protein to build cells. You could become anemic and your immune system could go in the tank as well. You need water and can die from dehydration quicker than you think. I'm sorry if that sounds dramatic, but it's the truth. You're taking a serious risk here.

Try to slowly introduce more meals and more water each day. Whatever you can get yourself to do, and then slowly increase it from there. Don't assume how much weight you will or will not gain from eating/drinking more -- that's not necessarily going to happen and eating can help fuel your metabolism. You shouldn't really have less than 1200 cals in a day, so try to at least make it to that level.

If you can't stop thinking this way and can't stop restricting, please get the help of a counselor. There may be free help in your community somewhere. I'm worried! Please get help if you can't control it.
laueliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #10  
lucysam77

I'm doing 1400 calories per day plus 1 hour walking (around 3 miles) per day, I lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks, i feel more energy because of the exercise and at the same time I'm not starving myself...
Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Disordered thinking and eating is very real and can happen to anyone. I'm sorry the people around you haven't been taking you seriously. A lot of people think a person isn't endangering themselves unless they are extremely underweight but that's just ignorant and uneducated, to put it generously. Starving does produce immediate results on the scale, but like everyone is saying, you can't keep it up forever without either dying or getting very sick. Also, too much restriction often leads to binging and massive weight gain/regain. You know all this though.

It sounds like you feel you've lost control. I hope you can find the help you need.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have fallen into this pattern also - had a very stressful few weeks, didn't eat because I literally could not without getting sick, and the scale went down - and I kind of liked that the scale went down, and knew that if I ate, I'd put some of it back on again.

My solution was pretty simple, when you think about it...I put away my scale and made all of my goals about my plan. I planned my healthy, on plan meals, got my groceries together, and focused on taking care of me by exercising and eating healthy foods. I was able to turn it around by getting back into my groove before I got back on the scale.

For me, I was feeling wildly out of control from the stress. Unfortunately, not eating and not taking care of myself made me feel more stressed, more out of control, and exhausted from not fueling myself, which means that I was even less mentally able to handle any scale gain that might happen. So it was important for me to put the scale away, get my eating back on schedule, and THEN face whatever happened on the scale, once I had my body fueled up and more stable. And yes, I was up a pound or two from my starved, dehydrated low, but I was more mentally stable because I was eating and taking care of myself, which meant I was more able to handle that reality.

If you can't stay away from the scale, or you can't get yourself back in a healthy eating pattern fairly quickly, you need to talk to a professional. You don't want to wreck your mental or physical health, and if you can't turn it around fairly soon, you need to get professional help in getting yourself back on a healthy path.

to you.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 03-31-2011 at 02:06 AM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #13  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

just remeber that if you havent eaten for two days , the number on the scale is NOT your weight, that is your dehydrated weight!
We all understand, ive done it tons of times over the years.
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 AM   #14  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

just keep in mind that if after eating you'd gain 5 lbs of water weight, what you've lost isn't real. you haven't lost fat, you've lost water. there is very little difference in how you look and how healthy you are when that happens, because you still have the fat. the fat is the problem. the number on the scale is insignificant.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #15  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I know this is difficult, but why not take the focus off the scale and concentrate on exercise and eating the healthiest you can? Work toward becoming an athlete and your weight loss will follow. Don't give the scale so much power in your life. Take back your power and have your journey be about health rather than becoming "skinny". Good luck to you and I would like to reiterate what others have said above in that if you feel totally out of control, please consider getting professional help.

milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote