General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #1  

Default Familiar with Craigslist?

So today I posted some things on Craigslist. I've never used it before but it seems super easy. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with it that I could benefit from. Of course I won't meet up with anyone alone or at my home. I posted a couple college text books and some art supplies. I'm wondering how often I should repost my ad, things like that. Any thoughts?
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

I use craigslist for everything! Buying, selling, my husband's business, my work....

I would say repost every few days if you notice your listing is no longer in the first 100 page. Most people only go back 2-3 pages when looking for stuff.

Also, just be smart about selling your stuff or looking at stuff. Meet people at public places at times when others will be around. Or if you must go to a house or someone must come to yours, don't be alone.

We bought lots of furniture from craigslist...and my husband always went with me to look at it and pick it up.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think you can repost weekly- if you have an account it saves the postings and you can just hit "relist" and I think you have to just re-add any photos.

It might be harder to sell the textbooks on CL honestly but the art supplies might sell well.

Usually CL works best if you are willing to sell things much cheaper than they are worth.

I just sold my old TV that was worth at least $140 for $40 because when I listed it at $80 and $60 nobody would buy it. And it was a HUGE TV.

Be prepared for people to say they are interested then not showing up- that's happened to me MANY times, it's so annoying and frustrating.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have used craigslist many times, never had any problems. Just be careful, no one to come to come to your home unless you have a strong man or two with you. Same with meeting someone in a public place, do not go alone.Proper precautions and you should be fine.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Be prepared for people to say they are interested then not showing up- that's happened to me MANY times, it's so annoying and frustrating.
Ugh, hadn't thought of that but I'm sure it will happen. The text books are current and that's a pretty common way to get books around here so I'm hoping I can unload them.

Gosh, I'm getting kind of excited about this now! I have had 2 responses so far. I'm about to walk through the house to see what else I can get rid of, lol, shhhh...don't tell my husband
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #6  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I use it all the time to buy sell. A few things I've found to increase my chances of selling something in my experience is one, to set the price pretty low. People are on there looking for a deal... and really, I don't want whatever it is I have anymore so I'd rather have SOME money than X item taking up space in my house. If it's a new item, still set the price lower than retail. Also describe it really well and take good pictures. Make it easy for them to get a hold of you too. I always leave my phone number so they can text/call me (I don't leave my name so they don't know I'm female), or give the option of email and mention I check it frequently. I've never encountered any weirdos by leaving my number, but if you're uncomfortable by that then I understand. My stuff always sells within 1-2 days of posting it and I rarely encounter flakes.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #7  

Okay, I may need to check my prices on the art stuff. I did price it much lower than new (although it IS new), but probably not low enough. I'll give it a couple days and see. I did post pics, I figured that would help.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Ok. I'm kind of paranoid so here's what I do:

1. My email address doesn't contain my first name, just initial so they can't tell if I'm male or female. Then, when it shows my name when they receive an email, I changed that to first initial, last name as well. I figure if someone is using CL to hurt someone they don't want to spend extra time looking for a victim.

2. Once I agree to have someone come look at at item, I always mention that my husband or I will be available at such and such time. That way they never know. You could substitute brother, father whatever. They don't have to know you don't have anyone else living with you.

3. Unless absolutely impossible, I move whatever I'm selling into the garage. I have a table out there I can just set it on, they can just come in, look and decide to buy. This should be more comfortable for all involved. A woman doesn't have to worry about getting into a sticky situation in some back room and I as a woman don't have to let some creep in my house to find out a. what's available to steal, b. the layout of my house and c. what kind of security we have and where.

If you just use caution and common sense, CraigsList is a great way to buy and sell.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #9  

XLMuffnTop-great tips! I don't think that's paranoid at all. Just precautionary. The older I get the more careful I am.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I've had great luck with Craig's List. Love it!

Definitely post good pics of whatever you are selling. I know, at least for myself...I don't even click on an ad unless it indicates there are photos to see.

Good luck!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #11  

Yay! Had my first sale today! It was for part of the art supplies/craft show stuff so I got someone who seemed very reliable. I also had my first no-show yesterday. That was for one of the college text books. I think the younger college-aged crowd is going to be a little harder to nail down. I've had lots of emails about the books but they all seem sort of flightly. I guess it's all in the age group your dealing with. I see many craiglist postings in my future!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

See! Damn those people who don't show!

I had a guy one time call me- saying he was "on his way" to pick up an item. 3 hours later he hadn't shown up so I assumed he wasn't coming. Someone else called, came, and took the item. He then calls me to say he's "almost there" and I tell him "I'm sorry I sold it" then he proceeds to get mad at me to which I reply "you said you were on your way THREE hours ago how am I supposed to know that you were still coming? You should have said a time instead of "on my way.""

BTW craigslist can make your email show up as anyonymous- that's what I have it do.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote