Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 12:17 PM   #1  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Exclamation Winter Chat

The season finally caught up with the weather. As I was driving home from the market I thought, wow it will be getting lighter again. Dark @ 4:30 is not good for the soul. We got snow this week. Very rare in my neck of the woods. True, an hour away in the Sierra Mts, we have feet of new powder, but here in the valley...only once in awhile. We may get some more tonight. I hope so. It looks so beautiful from the front window. I do not enjoy the ice that I scrape from the windows ea day to drive my car. Two more weeks and I will have my own garage to park in!

I am not sure I will be able to close escrow bythe 30th, 31st. I had to change morgage companies as FHA will not allow a vegas company with no Reno offices to represent me. So, I switch, but I have not got the paperwork. It was suppose to be overnighted to me. I did not get it yesterday. The title co will be closed 2.5 days this week. That does not leave much time. I keep asking the universe for a small miracle! The loan is in the underwriters office, so that is a good sign.

I am looking forward to getting this next week over with. BF and I have not exchanged gifts in 3 years since we were always so short on money. Now we have some extra change as we had no bills this month, as the tree is full of gifts, but it is overwhelming and not normal. We didn't go overboard, but it is still wierd seeing gifts with my name on them and knowing all the stockings will be filled. It is wierd celebrating Xmas instead of opening gifts tonight. I hope I don't have that let down feeling I always have on holidays. I do not care for them all that much. Emotions are always so high.

If escrow doesn't close on time, I will be sitting in front of the tv watching HGTV all day. They have new shows premiering that day. I am excited for House Hunters coast to coast!!!! I love house hunters!!!!! So...anyway, Jan 1st will be a good day!

I finally gave in and let BF get a muscle car. 3 weeks later he gets a call asking if he still wants my RE agent's truck in Vegas. So my dad is flying to Vegas tomorrow to get it for him, and BF doesn't understand why he needs to sell the El Camino!!! He does not need two trucks! I don't like the el camino as it sounds like a semi truck warming up! But he wants a car to work on... I don't know if I can win this war. My parents bought the truck for him. He only has to pay 50 a month. So, I can't complain about the money. He sold his Bronco to buy the camino. But I want the garage for my car, not car parts!!!!! Men!!!!!

Well, I am off to pack a few things. I may go get a walk in today. Everyone is home, I can escape. Later I have to go w/ dad for his wifes Xmas present. Men!!!! ~flower
Old 12-22-2002, 11:44 AM   #2  
you can call me flower

Well, the overnight pkg I was waiting for all week finally got here yesterday in standard mail. I sat at home for 4 days waiting for UPS or Fed EX!!!! Ughh~~~ I found a ton of mistakes. I found out some of the fraud accounts finally made their way on to my credit report. Uhgggg!!!!! I was so stressed out that I skipped lunch and went to my local new age store and bought stuff just for me. I like the owner and although Reno has better prices, I would like her to stay here.

My dad is delivering the paperwork in person tomorrow. No waiting on the mailman 3 days before Xmas. My luck it would get lost. Or really really late. When we called the lady said there is no real reason why we couldn't close by New Years Eve. Thing good thoughts for me ok???

So, who here has to put on their best behavior for relatives that they don't care for this week??? I don't have to this year! Yeah!!!!!! But I kinda miss it, just a little bit.

Well, I have to go drive my parents to the airport. Will someone please post on the Winter chat page so I am not talking to myself??? Maybe tell me what plans you have this week??? ~flower
Old 12-22-2002, 12:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I was just on my way over, Flower.

Ruth... I'm here.

Relatives. Provided my SIL doesn't bring her dogs, everything should be just fine. Well, not counting my MIL. I mean I love her... don't get me wrong. I just don't really LIKE her! I'll have to do a sort of Vitus' dance to keep from being trapped in a corner with her and being talked at to death.
Hmmm, then there's my BIL. I LIKE him, but he irritates me. He always belches at the dinner table. And I don't think he washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom, so I don't like sitting beside him because we join hands to say a prayer before eating.

My parents should be fine. They're quite socially acceptable. (listen to me... what a friggin' snob I am...)
And my sister. And her partner, who is exactly like me and anti-social. When he's had enough of us, he just lies down and has a nap.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:18 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Relatives - hmmmmmmm. I actually like mine! Well, neice Linda's husband is a jerk but we are inclined to ignore Patrick. He is one of those types who always has some game organized and "everyone must participate"! My dad always used to say "Why are there more horses' asses than horses?" when Patrick did this. He is one of the outlaws in the family. We pretty well ignore him. Luckily he and Linda will be at HIS parents' place this year for dinner. My Harry does not suffer fools gladly or otherwise!.

Tomorrow my pal Claire's tall son Matthew is coming over to finish the high-up decorating and then we will go to their place for a cold buffet.

Christmas Eve will be at my pal Bob's house - a very elegant after Church repast. Can you say potted lobster and champagne? I'll be home at midnight to listen to the animals.

Christmas morning I'll probably go to Church in another town - doesn't hurt to go twice in 24 hours. Of course we'll open our gifts before this.

We will do dinner at my sister's place and it will be very elegant and civilized - no dogs this year. Last year Hershey was with us and quietly removed a fairly valuable bone carving from under the tree - she was about to enhance its artistic value, I'm sure. Miss Lucy will spend Christmas afternoon and evening at my friend Claire's house where there are dogs and kids and babies and no expensive bone gifts!

Have not made any more plans than that at the moment. Son, DIL and Grand Daughter will be coming Boxing Day or whenever - they have the sickies right now. Anyhow, we are going to Ottawa to see them on the 29th, for sure.

Sheesh! Maybe I should check this out with my social secretary.

Ellis, wanna send the damned dogs to Claire's place? I'll meet you in Kemptville or Merrickville for the exchange.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:19 PM   #5  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Christmas Eve with my parents, which should be okay (if my Dad behaves.)
Christmas morning with my in laws which should be okay. (if DH's Mom behaves.)
Christmas afternoon with DH's extended family and 8 non-family members (don't get me started) that his aunt is dragging along......KILL ME NOW!!!
I'm already easing into my annual funk in anticipation of this joyous event.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:08 AM   #6  
a brave new me...

Angry Christmas Eve

Just invited my parents up for church on Christmas Eve and we are going to have dinner and a hot tub party at my house. Then Christmas Day will be a nightmare at the inlaws. I will meditate and consume large quantities of alcohol. Then Friday night my entire family will get together to open presents and eat and laugh and have fun. Then Saturday is the "family portrait from ****" at the inlaws again. So it will be good, bad, good, bad in that order.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:00 AM   #7  
Is it Friday yet?

Flower - I *love* House Hunters! I hope all goes well with your escrow... it's not fun, but next year you'll be in your own home for the holidays!!!

Christmas eve I'll hang out at my Moms - she does an "open house" kinda' get together and we end up with people coming and going from 5pm on. We always do munchie finger foods - a dangerous day for me.
Christmas, my Mom and Stepfather load up presents and come to my house to open them all. Then we make breakfast - usually biscuits n' gravy - then I'm left blissfully alone for the day. At night I have them and my 'surrogate Grandma' Pat over for dinner - this year ham, scalloped potatoes, rolls n' veggie.
New Year's eve and day are really quiet. On the eve we all go out to dinner... Then my birthday a couple days later - then life goes back to normal!!! I'm really looking forward to normal...

Off to track UPS shipping... such fun...

Terri
Old 12-23-2002, 11:03 AM   #8  

Christmas time it is just us four - six if you count the cats (& we do!). Family has been visited or is too far away to visit. It is kind of quiet but nice and relaxing too. And not too much cooking cuz DH likes to do it...fine with me!

Lidian
Old 12-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #9  
you can call me flower

I almost feel sad that I don't have any horror stories in the making! I have to have dinner tonight with a few wierd people I am not related to tonight. But it will give me something to be thankful for as I go to bed.

I am going to be off line for a little bit. I will be repacking some things the next 2 days then staying at a hotel for 2 days and then moving the next week or so. I have to sign up for cable internet too. So when I am hooked up, I will come and post again. Take care everyone! I will miss you all!!!! Happy Holidays! ~flower
Old 12-24-2002, 03:29 PM   #10  

I am thankful my eldest DD is feelng better - she got hit rather suddenly with one of those nasty viruses that are going round. And I'm thankful the four of us are together in our own house for Christmas.

I am thankful to have made such terrific friends on this board - I love the Alternachicks! I wish you all a very very happy holiday --

Love, Lidian
Old 12-24-2002, 08:40 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Lidian... I'm so glad your eldest is feeling better. love and hugs...

Terri... could you save me a plateful of scalloped potatoes, please?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:13 PM   #12  

Thnaks Ellis - you're a sweetie! That was really the one thing I wanted for Christmas, she has been downgraded again to a cold but is comfortable now...

I love scalloped potatoes, mmmmm....

Take care and have a great day tomorrow,

Lidian
Old 12-24-2002, 10:24 PM   #13  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Lidian and Ellis-Glad to hear that your DD and DH are feeling better in time for Christmas!!!

...and I'll add another YUM!!! to the scalloped potatoes!!
Old 12-26-2002, 10:20 AM   #14  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello all!

Well... it's over... we survived the major part of the holidays!
The New Year's holidays aren't nearly as stressful - I sit in front of the TV, watch Dick Clark (what am I gonna do when that man finally looks his age and dies??), eat the last of the left over dips n' nummies from Christmas, cry singing Auld Lang Syne, then go to bed... 3 days later, I'll turn 33

Had myself a ****'ofa giggle on Christmas eve - thought of you guys actually... We have some family friends, Sue n' Deb (a couple), that we hadn't seen in over a year. They came over Christmas eve and I took them over to see my new house and we were chattin' on the short drive home. Sue asked me about my divorce and if I was seeing anyone yet, or getting out there and I said "no, not really, but I did recently join a gym, but it's all women so *that's* not going to get me very far!" Deb, walking behind us said "Wellllll...." and Sue laughed and snapped "Deb, we're not going to go there!" I told them, "what the ****... go there" and they started busting up laughing. My Mom told me this is the closest they've gotten in the 10 years they've known them, to even *mentioning* their being a couple. My response to my Mom was, well you don't go around talking about how hetero you are do you?? Aaaah, the whole thing was wonderful - open, trusting and humorous. Very nice...

I still have enough scalloped potatoes left if anyone wants any!

I did recieve what could've been a nightmare gift from my neighbors. LOVE them, very sweet people - they gave me a beautiful china & wrought iron server - loaded with Lindt, Godiva, Rocher, etc... chocolates!!!! I thought "ok, I'm going to eat what I want - a couple pieces, and freeze the rest - put it in the back of the freezer! Well, I started opening and guess what???? IT WAS ALL OLD!!!!! I don't know where they bought it, but I finally found an experation date on something and it expired 2/16/01! Problem solved.... threw it all away.

I hope you all had an awsome holiday and that Santa was very good to you!!!

Terri
Old 12-26-2002, 11:36 AM   #15  

Hi Terri,

The scalloped potatoes sound great but I think I had better not - weight loss pretty well stalling and the bag of amazing bagels DH brought home is not helping (I love all kinds of carbs, and I could eat bagels all day...)

We are just hanging around the house here though DH has dug the front walk up - got lots of snow yesterday. One child is nursing a cold, the other is on a CD-ROM. And I am playing around with online quizzes and thinking about going out for a walk later - snow notwithstanding. Have been in the house since Monday afternoon and going a little stir-crazy!

I laughed at your stale-chocolate story - a long time ago a sweet old lady gave us some bagels as a present and when we had a good look at them they were old and hard as rocks - out they went! Good thing too - I would've eaten them all in about 2 days!

We had a nice day yesterday - quiet and relaxed, just the way like it!Glad you had a good time too - sounds like you have great friends...

Hey and 33 is YOUNG! I just turned 40 this fall and can hardly remember being 33!

I am looking forward to all the 80s rock retrospectives that pop up around this time - being as that was the time I was out and able to stay up all night dancing! (Now I just try to stay up til eleven watching TV!)

Cheerio! Lidian
Closed Thread