Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/178/140

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Post How to fight the sweet tooth?!!!

So I am new to the dieting world. I stopped drinking soda and all caffeine years ago, we switched all ground beef to turkey and I don't eat any fried foods. I do however have the worst sweet tooth it is my never ending down fall! I love cakes, brownies, and choclate. I have tried some of the 100 calorie packs...most of them suck cause they don't taste right. A lot of the sugar free stuff isn't that great either so are there any tricks out there that any one can help with?!

Also any recipes for just good low cal/fat foods that have lots of flavor? I hate to sound so silly but it is not something I am very good at yet and need a little push in the right direction! Thanks to all for your input and patience
Sonjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I also have a sweet tooth-but since I have been controlling my diet and exercise better, it's been toned down quite a bit! I just let myself have the things that I want in moderation, but I work for them. I don't eat quite as many calories at dinner or earlier so that I could have it, and on top of that, I walk to the store to go get it myself and only get one of whatever it is. Often, I do heavy hands on the way to the store, which burns even more calories. I don't record that exercise, and I don't use that to negate my treat-but I find that I feel good about eating something I want if I have worked for it. If I have to have chocolate, I get a candy bar at the store and split it with someone or save half of it for another day and really enjoy the bit that I have-a half a candy bar lasted me four hours. Before I started this ordeal, it would have been gone within five minutes. It used to be, that sugar acted as crack-one bite of anything sweet and I needed more omg right now! But now, I really can take it or leave it and I don't really have to have it. That also might be because I do let myself have treats once in awhile. I hope this helps-that's how I deal

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 03-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Best way to get rid of a sweet tooth is to get rid of the simple carbs. And really, the right fats are ok. Calories have to come from somewhere and that's carbs, proteins and fats. Too much protein is hard on the kidneys, so have some peanut butter or avocados or nuts And get rid of the empty calories in those simple carbs.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-28-2011 at 11:52 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

The only way for me to get rid of the cravings is to get rid of the sugar. An alkie can't switch over to light beer and sober up.

Lets face it, we don't need sugar to live. Oh yeah, it makes life sweet, but some people just can't do sugar...just like some people can't do booze. I happen to fall in both categories. Darn it!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I treated my sugar addiction like I was an alcoholic and cut it old cold turkey. That means that I had no artifical sweeteners or sugar for a long while. I even stopped fruit for a bit (but only about a week). First I introduced fruit back it and then I went with cooking only with natural sweeteners (blue agave is my favorite, followed by maple syrup and honey).

Now I can eat sugar on occasion and it doesn't drive me nuts. I even a a dark chocolate toblerone bar sitting in my fridge at the moment, which would've been eaten in probably one day before!

One thing I will say, though. IF you struggle with sugar/cravings eating low fat desserts is a BAD IDEA. They don't fill you up and you just want MORE and MORE. The desserts that work best for me now are high fat but I just take a bit. This cheesecake recipe is amazing: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dess...heesecake.html (I use blue agave as a sweeteners, make sure you cut the measurement by 3/4 if you use agave and cook at a lower temperature) and it fills you up. I can eat a much smaller piece and be satisfied than if I were eating something that was lowfat.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I treat my sweet tooth with Power Crunch protein bars and Think Thin protein bars and Fiber One 90 calorie bars. My sweet tooth has been very happy with those choices lately.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar = 19g protein, 2net carbs, tons of fiber, loaded with chocolately nutty goodeness - and TOTALLY satisfies my sweet tooth and fills me up at the same time!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I agree that the most complete way to free yourself of a sugar addiction is to cut as much sugar and simple carbs out of your diet as possible for a few weeks, then slowly add fruit and higher-sugar vegetables back in. Personally I am currently eating less than 15 g of sugar per day with no artificial sweeteners of any kind (good, bad, or indifferent) and I'm very happy with the food I'm eating. When I first saw that number I though there was no way I could get that low but I assure you it's possible and enjoyable.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I swear by Atkins protein bars and whey protein shakes too (be careful some of those protein bars and protein shakes are FULL of carbs). I'm not on the Atkins diet, but when I need something sweet, I grab one of those and get some fat, protein and a bit of sweetness.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/178/140

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Thanks everyone is being so helpful! I love hearing what helps your cravings. I am guessing I will have to cut out sugar entirly for a while I just hate having do so. I have a med issue that has caused me to have to eliminate ALL other vices and I think sugar replaced it all. I think it is the main reason I gained (other then being in culinary school and pregnant lol) and the main reason I cant get rid of it. I am VERY new to dieting so any advice any one has is great and you are all so encouraging with the amount of weight people have lost it makes me feel more hopeful then I have in a long time thanks so much
Sonjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Not sure what your diet is but could adding some fruit help? An apple or some grapes or strawberries? My husband is learning to eat some fruit instead of candy bars. He doesn't really need to lose weight and he's doing great eating some fruit in the evenings instead of the junk he used to eat before.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #12  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I completely agree with eliminating sugar from your diet if you're a sugar addict. But, since sweets aren't my "food drug" of choice I can eat them in moderation. Occasionally I do have a craving for something sweet.
I've turned into a food snob since I've started eating healthier. I don't eat something unless it's really worth eating. I am not going to waste good calories on a piece of birthday cake that comes from walmart, a 100 calorie snack pack or some cheap ice cream. But, I will eat a really great piece of home made chocolate goody from the local sweet shop in down town, but I only buy enough for one or two bites and I savor it.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #13  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
I completely agree with eliminating sugar from your diet if you're a sugar addict. But, since sweets aren't my "food drug" of choice I can eat them in moderation. Occasionally I do have a craving for something sweet.
I've turned into a food snob since I've started eating healthier. I don't eat something unless it's really worth eating. I am not going to waste good calories on a piece of birthday cake that comes from walmart, a 100 calorie snack pack or some cheap ice cream. But, I will eat a really great piece of home made chocolate goody from the local sweet shop in down town, but I only buy enough for one or two bites and I savor it.
Same here, I'm such a food snob now too! I refuse to buy cheap crappy chocolate so I only buy expensive imported dark chocolate and then try to spread it out as long as possible. Or I make my own sweets with whole wheat flour, natural sweeteners, oatmeal, fruit, and nuts.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #14  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

To get my chocolate fix I have started eating a Kelloggs Fiber Bar the Chocolate Chip ones are awsome. 120 calories but so worth it and the fiber helps fill me up so I can eat one as an afternoon snack and make it until dinner time.
Also, sugar free extra gum has come out with some really good flavors, I have tried the mint chocolate chip and strawberry short cake ones and they are good. Only 5 calories a stick and can sometimes help take away the cravings.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #15  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
To get my chocolate fix I have started eating a Kelloggs Fiber Bar the Chocolate Chip ones are awsome. 120 calories but so worth it and the fiber helps fill me up so I can eat one as an afternoon snack and make it until dinner time.
Also, sugar free extra gum has come out with some really good flavors, I have tried the mint chocolate chip and strawberry short cake ones and they are good. Only 5 calories a stick and can sometimes help take away the cravings.
Yes! I love the Key Lime pie gum that Extra has...only 5 calories and it kicks the "I need to have something sweet after lunch" craving. I also love the FiberOne Oats & Chocolate bars...they are 140 calories, but I love them and I make them fit into my calorie allotment for the day.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote