Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Default I have something to say!!!

Wow, what a difference a few lbs can make in social gatherings!

Last night my husband and I went out with friends, something we haven't done in a loooong time, normally it is just me and him doing our own thing. Mostly because I hate feeling like a 3rd wheel. You see, my husband is very, very outgoing and can break the ice like nobody's business. He is literally like my personal comedy show and while it's fun, usually you will find me sitting quietly and listening intently to everything everyone else has to say. This is due to the enormous amount of times I have been talked over. I cannot STAND to be talked over, it is seriously in my top 3 pet peeves. So, you can imagine my surprise last night when I decided to jump in on the conversation, people actually listened!! And responded!!! More than once!!!

I am not just "seeing things" either; I can't say FOR SURE that my weight contributes to this, but what else would the reason be???? I'm still not quite sure I understand this social ladder thing; Like when other people talk, no matter what they look like or where they came from, I listen and take turns talking.

Just a weird shift I observed last night and wanted to share. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

You are probably just gaining more confidence and that confidence is being reflected in how people treat you. Even at your highest weight you were a lot smaller then a lot of people I know who are the center of attention where ever they go.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #3  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

Congrats to you on opening up and taking part in the conversation! Confidence can be such a nice thing to happen with weight loss!
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Nia, I still have a loooong way to go on that. I am realizing that my own personal thoughts about myself are not only unhealthy, but very abnormal. Things that weight loss cannot change, like my hair, or my nose, things like that.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Well I'm just so happy you realize it because some people make the mistake and think that weightloss will magically change everything for them and it can lead to problems. We all have issues with self esteem sometimes. I know that I do. That's why it amazes me that I have friends who can light up a room despite their appearences and bring a smile to everyones face. I just hope that one day you can be one of those people and that when you smile the whole room will smile back at you.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #6  

Well I've been on both ends of the spectrum in the past few years and yes people definitely treat you differently. Glad it was fun for you.
geekgal is offline   Reply With Quote