Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Default Hair Loss, inevitable????

Hello all, i am in my second week. I'm doing really well but i have now read some posts about hair loss. i'd like to hear from some experienced IPers that have not had the hair loss yet have lost significant amounts of weight. Thanks
calival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #2  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by calival View Post
Hello all, i am in my second week. I'm doing really well but i have now read some posts about hair loss. i'd like to hear from some experienced IPers that have not had the hair loss yet have lost significant amounts of weight. Thanks
I didn't have any hair loss at first. I noticed it really bad about my 3rd month. I have really thick hair and right now it is much thinner. It didn't start coming back when I phased off. I started taking Biotin in addition to the 2-3 Fish oils I was taking a day and now I have all this 1.5-2 in long hair all over my head (which makes styling a pain). The dr (and hairstylist agreed) that this was caused by the quick changing in fat (which is where we store our hormones). When our hormones are in flux our hair and nails often suffer. Once these things even out, our hair returns to normal.

Don't stress over it. It is a temporary condition. I wouldn't trade losing the weight for the temporary hair issues.

PS. My mom and bf's mom have both lost 50 and 30 lb and neither have experienced the hair issues. So age and what stage you are at may play a factor in here too.

Last edited by EatAnts; 03-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #3  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

[QUOTE=calival;3773997]Hello all, i am in my second week. I'm doing really well but i have now read some posts about hair loss. i'd like to hear from some experienced IPers that have not had the hair loss yet have lost significant amounts of weight. Thanks[/QUOte

I was on IP Sept thru Dec and then off and on again for a few months and now back on. I haven't had any additional hair loss. Maybe I haven't because of the off and on again for those few months. Some have had some thinning of their hair. I wouldn't do what I did though by not staying strictly on IP. I would of been at goal a long time ago. I'd taken a hair lost just to be at goal.

Hope this helps.
iowahawkeyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192.8/155.0/148

I was on for 3 months, lost 45 lbs and had no hair issues. Everyone's different, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Personally I'd rather have temporarily thinned hair than the extra fat, so even if I would have lost hair in phase 1 I would have kept going.
Stacey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/175/140

Height: 4'11"

I'm on week 2 and haven't noticed hair loss yet...I do have super thick hair though. Does anyone have a suggestion for a "preventive measure"? I'm getting married in September and while I want to look awesome in my gown, I don't want to have horrible wedding hair
puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
I'm on week 2 and haven't noticed hair loss yet...I do have super thick hair though. Does anyone have a suggestion for a "preventive measure"? I'm getting married in September and while I want to look awesome in my gown, I don't want to have horrible wedding hair
The only thing you can do is take the fish oil and add a biotin supplement. You can order this from Nashua Nutrition or GNC. The rest is up to your body. I have really thick hair too and with the loss I still have thicker hair than most it is just weird for me to deal with because I'm used to working with more. The hair stylist could still make it look fabulous every time, so don't worry about it. You'll look fabulous.
EatAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/175/140

Height: 4'11"

thank you
puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone for your responses. I spoke to my coach today and she said that this program is not a "Hyper" protein one so the issue of hair loss is not something to worry about. She will speak to the doctor who is monitoring the program for further info. I agree, everyone is different and our bodies react differently to things. So, I'm optomistic, I would not like to give up the diet--after all, my second weigh-in netting me a grand total of 9 pounds lost in 2 weeks--fabulous!! Thanks again everyone.
calival is offline   Reply With Quote