Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default I have been diagnosed: Scoliosis and Gluten Sensitive

So... yeah. I have a messed up C1 vertebra... it's at 3 degrees to the left looking at the front, and at the back looking at the side, it's 9 degrees.

It's supposed to be 1 degrees right or left, and 30 (or 35... don't remember) at the back.

So... because of that... I have an S curve... a 10 degree scoliosis curve.

And have to spend 3 times a week at a chiropractor doing adjustments and stuff... for 8 weeks. After that, twice a week for 8 weeks... and then once a week for 8 weeks... then once every other week... etc. All depending on what the xrays show.

Bleh.

And I also have 3 of the 4 genes tested positive for gluten sensitivity/intolerance. The minimum required to put someone on a gluten free diet is 1 gene to test positive... which means that 'ok... you are possibly gluten sensitive... we'll see', and 2 genes testing positive is a total positive. And... 3 or 4... well... most definitely gluten sensitive/intolerant... no doubt about it.

So... yeah. I can't have (things found on a food label or ingredient list):
malt, wheat, gluten, barley, rye, oats, buckwheat, sorghum, amaranth, quinoa (due to cross contamination), spelt, rice, corn, maize, triticale, teff, textured vegetable protein, hydrolyzed plant protein, extenders and biders, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, modified food starch, MSG, Natural Flavors

And these are pretty much what I CAN eat:
Meat - Grass fed beef, wild caught fish, organic free range poultry
Fruits - any organic variety that you are not allergic to
Nuts/Seeds - any organic variety that you are not allergic to
Beans - any organic variety that you are not allergic to

The biggest reason he gave for the whole organic, grass fed, etc... has to do with cross contamination. He wants ABSOLUTELY gluten free... absolutely no trace of it at all. Which is understandable... but it makes it more expensive to eat... something a bit frustrating for my family (we are far from rich)... but it'll be MUCH easier for THEM when they get back to Europe... it'll still be hard for me... especially in college... because of the major apparent cross-contamination in all the food at the cafeteria and all.

I'm also a vegetarian. According to this Chiropractor/Nutritionist... I need to eat meat. No questions asked. His reasoning is valid... I'll probably go back to being a vegetarian when I'm living on my own again. It's just... well... easier. So... I'm still going to probably eat no more than one half to one serving of meat a day... but that's IT. I just don't like the taste of meat...

So... yeah. We've started this today... whole family. My brother is OK with it... but he's lamenting the loss of donuts and cookies. And my Dad is probably going to put up a bit of a fight when it comes to popcorn at the movie theaters... but... we'll be OK.

It's just... a lot going on. My Granddaddy is also back in the hospital for the umpteenth time because his heart is out of rythm. We all thought that it was over... and he was better. So... yeah.

I've been at the doctor's office EVERY DAY THIS WEEK... I've pretty much lost my senior exam exemptions in half of my classes (I have only 5 classes... so it's not a HUGE deal)... and now I might not be able to work as much as I have been... it's just... a lot going on. BUT... it's nice to know.

I still have my big ol' allergy blood test... so there might be some results from that... we'll see. Just wanted to give an update.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I understand the rationale to get you completely off gluten to start and let your gut heal, and since I'm an Atkins person, I think you will lose weight nicely with the planned diet, (fine to have plenty of fat, healthy fats fine!) but you CAN have grains that have no gluten, like quinoa, corn etc. and there are lots of products made from these grains that are made in gluten free facilities so you can safely eat them.
I hope you feel a LOT better soon.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #3  

Corn actually is second only to wheat in the amount of gluten in it... So... no corn.

I can have quinoa though... but I have to be very careful about cross contamination.

I'm actually going to stay away from the "Gluten Free" aisle... and just make my own food most of the time... easier... I know EXACTLY what is in it... and... I like to cook.

ETA: I want to be strict about this... my family has had a LOT of autoimmune diseases (Cushings, Meneares, Epilepsy, etc), and I have my stupid heat allergy thing... and even though I might be able to live with some products that have some gluten or cross-contamination... I would really just rather not risk it...

Last edited by Serbrider; 03-24-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would get a second opinion.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Corn actually is second only to wheat in the amount of gluten in it... So... no corn.
Most people who are celiac/gluten intolerant have no problems with what is called "corn gluten" - it's a different molecule and not a symptom trigger. Corn is considered one of the "foundation foods" for people who are cutting wheat gluten out of their diets. So you may want to do further research..here are some places to get you started:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

http://www.drugs.com/cg/gluten-free-diet.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #6  

I could... but honestly... he doesn't say any "I"... he points out specific scientific studies that we could look up ourselves and verify. He's not just saying "THIS IS WHAT IT IS, BELIEVE ME OR YOU DIE" (of course... none would say anything like that).

This doctor is HIGHLY qualified, and my mom has 10+ friends who have gone to them and their lives have been changed. Even some who already knew they were gluten free but still had issues with it all.

I know people keep saying "corn and rice and quinoa are OK"... maybe they are. But at this point... I really don't want to risk anything. Whether they are or not isn't the point right now. They COULD be bad... and there are other things in corn that can be detrimental to your health. So... easier to just say "ok... might not be bad... but why risk it?". It's like people drinking aspartame or cane sugar or stevia and so on. It might be fine. It might be perfectly fine. It might not be. It's a personal choice to say "hey... I think that this is bad for me" or whatever.

If I choose to get a second opinion, I will. If not... I won't. Living without rice and corn will NOT kill me. Might do me good... might do nothing at all. I don't NEED them in order to survive... so what's the harm in cutting them out?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you want to cut out corn/rice and other non-gluten grains, that's totally fine, more power to you. I just don't want someone to stumble onto this thread looking for information about a gluten free diet, specifically, and think that those items are off-limits for those avoiding gluten. They're not, because they're gluten free. Which doesn't mean you might not avoid them for other reasons, just that you don't have to avoid them if you've avoiding gluten.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #8  

The whole "corn gluten = bad gluten" is something new... a new study. People are ALWAYS finding out new information. I know you guys care... but honestly? Why is it so bad to cut out corn and rice? I'm a little confused.

Sure... it's drastic... completely and totally cold-turkey... but what's the harm in doing so? I see none... I do love my corn and rice... but I was told by someone who comes HIGHLY recommended to our family... and maybe he's a quack. But... if I get better... what's the harm in not eating something that might not be doing something wrong in the first place? It's like not eating green beans because you think they make you sick. They might not be doing anything wrong... but what's the harm in not eating green beans if you get the nutrition from something else?

I'm not telling anyone else on here to do it like I am. I'm not. But what's wrong with doing it how I am?

(this is the site he showed us as a resource: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/ )

ETA: Just saw your last post... thanks.

Last edited by Serbrider; 03-24-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

My only concern about you cutting out virtually all grains is that you have been eating vegetarian. I eat virtually no grains, and am fine, but get plenty of protein from other sources (as opposed to food combining for vegetarians) and eat a ton of veggies for carbs and fibre. You can do the same, but clearly this will be a big switch.
I am interested in the corn gluten concern because I have several friends and acquaintances who have celiac disease. I don't eat corn so have not served it, but always want to keep my guests dietary needs in mind when meal planning when they are visiting. I will look at the studies and keep it in mind. thanks for the info.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

We are gluten (and corn) free over at the primal/paleo thread. Feel free to join us.

By the way, Mark Sisson's wife, Carrie, (Sisson is the author of Primal Blueprint) is a vegetarian, or rather a pescatarian. She obviously has pretty darned good genes, but she is proof that you can eat this way and not eat meat if that is your preference. She eats lots of fish, though.

I am not gluten intolerant myself; however, my best friend and her mom have celiac, two of my co-workers do, and my husband (type 1 diabetic for 33 + years) is gluten intolerant. He eats the way I do, as does my best friend. My co-workers are both super tiny and thin (always have been, partially due to celiac). They both eat corn chips as well as lots of "gluten free" items made from rice (or other), like crackers, brownie mixes, etc. It's nice to find friends who share this WOE, as the bunch of us do swap recipes and ideas.

Even if you don't choose to go the primal/paleo route, here are some links to websites with fabulous recipes --all gluten free, of course.

Primal Palate - click on recipe link for lots of gorgeous and delicious recipes!
Everyday Paleo - tons of quick and easy paleo recipes
Elana's pantry - mainly gluten free sweets made with almond flour (not primal/paleo, but GF)

The best measure may be for you to see how you feel after a month or two of eliminating gluten, and in your case, corn.

Best of luck to you... it will be a major transition (especially as a vegetarian), but for me (a year in now grain free), it's been life changing.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

You really should be able to get things like quinoa without cross contamination. I went gluten free 7 weeks ago and I don't plan to go back. My chiro would like me to give up pretty much all carbs (aside from vegetables) but that isn't going to happen.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #12  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Nobody is saying you shouldn't give up corn. They are just saying it isn't necessary for everyone and that every gluten intolerant person who reads this thread doesn't have to give it up.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
The whole "corn gluten = bad gluten" is something new... a new study. People are ALWAYS finding out new information. I know you guys care... but honestly? Why is it so bad to cut out corn and rice? I'm a little confused.
Not a single person said that it was bad to cut out corn and rice, they only shared information and opinions.

Also there are no studies that declare that corn gluten = bad gluten, because no gluten is bad gluten if you can digest it. Studies (the most recent in November of 2010, I believe) have found that some people react to both wheat and corn proteins, but this isn't the first study finding this. Doctors have known since at least the 1970's that some people with celiac disease/ wheat gluten intolerance also respond adversely to corn gluten. Many do not. (Just as there are people who can tolerate corn but not wheat, there are probably also people who can tolerate wheat but not corn, and there are people who cannot tolerate both).

The reason people shared their opinions and suggested a second opinion, is that there is a lot of misinformation out there about gluten and gluten allergies, even coming from experts. Of course you are free not to seek a second opinion. You have every right to listen to one doctor's opinion, you even have the right to listen to no one's opinion. People here also have a right to share their opinion (you have the right to criticise, disagree with or disregard it).

A strict celiac diet is extremely challenging, and doing so unnecessarily adds a lot of unnecessary expense, work, and stress. You're free to do that work (necessary or not), but it's also good for people who might be in a similar situation to hear that it may not be necessary.

Was the genetic testing done by a medical doctor or a chiropractor? There's a lot of controversy over dietary advice given by chiropractors (in some states it's even prohibited). Some of the common dietary tests, including genetic tests being conducted by chiropractors and alternative medicine practitioners are based on shaky, faulty or no scientific evidence. Some have even been proven to be fraudulent (not even measuring what is being claimed).

I'm not asking you to share any details here, but if the sole source of information was a chiropractor, I'd recommend that you seek second opinions from a physician and/or a dietitian or accredited genetic testing lab.

No one is saying that you must or should eat any grains, or that anyone must (more people than ever realize that the nutrients in grains are available in other foods. Just as you can eat a balanced diet without animal flesh, you can eat a balanced diet without grains - but it could take some extra planning and effort - and expense).

I drastically limit grains and even legumes, including corn because I have a severe and dramatic reaction to wheat and a much less dramatic, but significant reaction to carbs in general, so I am definitely not saying that there's anything wrong with an entirely grain-free or even a moderately low-carb diet (especially if it includes a lot of low-calorie veggies of many colors).

The point isn't whether a person can or should avoid gluten, it's whether it's necessary It's important to distinguish the theory from fact in this regard, because living a grain-free life is challenging and often expensive. Everyone should have all the information they need (pro and con, as there is good evidence on both sides).

The case against grains for everyone hasn't been unquestionably made. There is some evidence that none of us should be eating grains and gluten, but it's hardly inconclusive. There's also some persuasive evidence that grains (at least for some people) can be part of a healthy diet. It's important not to jump to conclusions either way.

I feel confident that I should not be eating wheat and most other grains, but I can't really say that for everyone (not even everyone with celiac disease and gluten-intolerance - there still seems to be a great amount of variability in the effects based on the individual. Some people will have very mild reactions, and some will be very severe).

I keep up on the research as best I can, and there continues to be good arguments on both sides - which makes me conclude that grains are healthy for some people and unhealthy for others. I think it's important to know the evidence on both sides, because it helps you make informed decisions, and informed decisions are always better than blind ones.

You don't have to be informed, but information (even contrary information) doesn't harm you in any way. You can choose to ignore it, but others might find it helpful.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-27-2011 at 02:27 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Sorry you've gotten a bunch of not so good news at once!

Are you experiencing discomfort in your neck? I ask because a 10 degree curve is barely outside of the realm of normal curvature and should be fairly asymptomatic. If you're having issues, you may want to get a second opinion to pinpoint a more direct problem. Also, please be cautious of chiropractors who promise that they can correct curvatures. Evidence of this is spotty at best, and while is it possible to receive some decrease in curvature, especially with such a low curvature, I'm not sure that it would really provide much benefit to you. (If I remember correctly, I think 10 degrees is the very base of diagnosis for scoliosis) I guess what I'm saying is- don't stress. For the most part, scoliosis doesn't interfere with daily life or cause pain, especially at small curvatures. However, if you are having issues,I strongly recommend a second opinion, as there is most likely something else at play. Good luck!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #15  

Thanks guys.

The particular doctor is an accredited nutritionist/dietician, chiropractor, and he can give me any information I might want concerning any and all studies, genetic testing labs, bloodwork, xrays, etc. (xrays are pretty much the only things HE does... everything else he sends to outside labs used by medical doctors, hospitals, etc)

I am on my... I think third or fourth day. And I feel so irritable right now. But my mom has talked to several of her friends who have done this same exact thing... and they said that it took them about a week or two of feeling like they want to kill someone and then they felt GREAT. So... just waiting for that "great" feeling... and in the meantime... I feel like ripping someone's head off... Or crying... or both. Stomach-wise... I feel great though. I haven't moved enough to see what my allergy is up to... because that's the reason we went to this guy in the first place.

As for the neck/scoliosis.... I do have regular discomfort in my neck. Not major... unless I'm doing some kind of pilates or cruches or situps or something like that. In which case I get a horrible headache in the back of my head. And sometimes when I'm on a long road trip or something, I will get some pain in the top of my neck/back of my head, that won't go away unless I spend 30 minutes to an hour out of the car and walking or something.

I am going to see another chiropractor at some point... this particular guy is 30 minutes away... and I just don't have enough time in the day to spend over an hour three times a week just to have him do my adjustments.

I also apparently have a pinched nerve and my tailbone isn't anywhere near where it should be. Due to the C1 vertebra he said... but I don't know enough to say anything. Hoping to get another opinion from this other chiropractor that my mom was checking out. He's right around the corner from us... so I hope he's good. It would be so much better than driving over an hour to and from the other guy just for a 20 minute thing.

Again... thanks guys. The other day I was VERY pent up. I had posted this same thing on another forum, and got a bit chewed out there too... and felt very on edge and defensive. I just got told by my doctor all of these things, I had my mom talking to me about a lot of things... I'm a vegetarian who desperately wants to become vegan... and being told flat out by this guy "EAT MEAT" (exact words), and when my mom hears stuff like that and can find the resources to back that up... there's absolutely no way she'd let me stay vegetarian... and that upset me... so... yeah. I just felt as though I was getting barraged by all sides... and so got very defensive. Sorry if I offended anybody. I really do appreciate the concern and all of the time put into the responses to me and the links and personal stories given. Thanks.

Last edited by Serbrider; 03-27-2011 at 10:57 PM.