Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #1  

Default So Frustrated...

I'm so tired of trying to lose weight the "right" way by eating healthy and exercising. It just does NOT work for me. Every time I try, I give up after about two months because I don't lose any weight. I watch my carbs, watch my calorie intake, I exercise regularly and no results. I remember the last time I really lost a lot of weight...and I remember the extreme measures it took. I don't want to do that again! The only way that I can lose weight is to eat almost nothing. One teeny tiny "child size" meal a day and that is it. If I eat small light meals throughout the day, I just stay the same weight even with an hour of exercise a day. If I eat three regular meals a day, same thing. I've been getting up, exercising, then I eat a couple of hard boiled or scrambled eggs with a couple slices of turkey bacon. I have some sugar free jello a little later. A salad somewhere during the day that consists of lettuce, a sprinkling of red peppers, and a few olives. Dinner is usually a salad or a chicken breast and a large portion of vegies. I feel like I'm doing it right but getting no results. The weight just stays the same. I really hope I don't have to go back to going the entire day with absolutely nothing and then only eat a tiny bit that fits on a little saucer place with room to spare. Sadly, doing it that way is the ONLY way I have ever seen results. Could something be wrong with my body?
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If what you say is 100% accurate then yes, there's probably something wrong. Whether it's hormones or metabolic damage, I'm not sure. What's your current stats and do you have a long history of crash dieting/eating disorders?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

First, how much are you weighing now and how much do you need to lose?

Yes, something could be wrong with your body. Have you been to a doctor to explain what's going on?

Do you have food journals where you track every thing that goes into your mouth?

You'll need to show him and a nutritionist (if you go to one) what you're eating so your team (doctor, nutritionist, endos, who knows who else) can know what you're doing and what's working or not working.

Weight loss doesn't have to be difficult or that hard unless there is something wrong with you.

There's something wrong with me, PCOS, and it makes weight loss difficult, but not impossible.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #4  

I am at 253 right now and have been for over two months. I did start journaling within the last month to account for everything easier. I really should see a doctor but lack of medical insurance makes that impossible. I have another issue that may or may not have to do with the weight issue as well. Incoming TMI moment...my TOM is excessively irregular. I skip it all together sometimes....other times it lasts for over a month straight with massively heavy bleeding and clotting and I end up feeling very drained and weak and out of it. I don't know if my periods are bad because I'm over weight or if my weight problem can be due to the hormonal problems I might be having. I really wish I could see a doctor!!!!! I feel like my body is becoming ruined.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/200/145

Height: 5'6

Your body might be holding on to your fat because it may not be getting enough nutrients.It doesn't sound like you're eating bad, just not enough maybe. But it is hard to balance eating enough and trying to lose weight; However, I would try taking a supplement like a multi-vitamin to help digest your food. I've been on the extreme fat smash diet for 2 weeks now and i've lost 5lbs. <--and that's because i've added in somethings I wasn't suppose to.
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Wow, it certainly does sound like you have some underlying health issue. The month long bleeding/clotting is a much bigger issue than not being able to lose weight, imo. I'm sure it's all tied together. I'm not from the US so I have no advice about what to do with the doctor. Do you have any sort of social services programs to turn to when you need to see a doctor?

Last edited by sacha; 03-24-2011 at 12:50 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The period thing is also an indicator of PCOS. I wish you had the insurance so you could go to an reproductive (gyno) endocrinologist so he/she would have you checked out.

How about if you read up on PCOS and figure out if you have any of the other symptoms?

We PCOS women have to follow a different set of expectations than others when dieting, because our bodies are simply not the same as others.

Do some reading, see if any of it resonates with you, and then figure out if you can follow some of the recommended diet plans. More of the diets are around the IR/diabetic diet, anyway, which means that you should be eating more frequently to manage your IR (if you have it, but we don't know until you get to a doctor) and to have it be full of vegetables and proteins (low on the refined flours, rices, and sugars).

I'll warn you ahead of time, it'll take a while for your body to adjust (if you have PCOS) because you may not have been feeding it the right things in the past. AND, to top it off, our weight loss is VERY slow unless you do something drastic.

Let me know if you want more information. I have some book recommendations you can check out from the library if you want to read more about it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #8  

Thanks so much for the info! I will definitely check it out and do some reading. Either I have something like that or I just need to do something to jump start the weight loss. Thanks again
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #9  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

If you do not have medical insurance than may I suggest Planned Parenthood if you are having irregular periods -- or even hormonal issues that could be causing weight loss issues? I used them when I was uninsured and even now when I have insurance.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #10  

I didn't think of that. I am not sure what all they do at Planned Parenthood. I will look into that! Thanks for the advice.