Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Question Irritability - Will wellbutrin help? Im on adderall to.

So let me give a little background before I ask this question. I currently take 30 mg of adderall and that is it besides my birth control as far as meds go.
However I have been suffering from major depression and for over a year now but I wanted to stay away from any other medication until now because well Im at my ropes end.
So weary that typical antidepressants would cause me to gain weight I decided to give wellbutrin a try - since my doctor said its safe with the adderall and he is starting me on a low dose.

However my main problem (stemming from the depression and anxiety) is my incredible amount of irritability. For example at work I am on the 2nd floor and lately there has been an increased vibration from something in the building (if i have a water bottle on my desk you can see it moving inside from the subtle vibrating) well this subtle vibrating becomes almost UNBEARABLE to me after a few hours i am so aggitated and pissed off and a little sick to my stomach quite frankly. The nice usually friendly me turns into a raging pent up angry person with nothing to unleash upon.
Not only that but certain noises like my neighbors in my apartment playing their music - have irritated me Soooo badly to the point where i am slamming doors in anger bc theres nothing else to do (the apt management has been reluctant to help me so im screwed until i can move out in 4 months)

So what I am wondering is if the wellbutrin should help me to basically Chill Out? by relieving some of the anxiety/depression? and do you think i should expect to experience some weight loss as well? (I certainly hope so!)
I believe my depression is the reason for being overweight. If I can finally be on a drug that will relieve that I think I can successfully lose and keep the weight off once and for all.

And all I want is to go back to feeling like the normal, old me that I miss, the one thats generally happy and at least able to tolerate annoyances without wanting to punch something. Or eat a whole cake. :P
lol
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

it should help you with both the irritability and anxiety! Irritability is often a part of depression, and anti-depressants are also prescribed even when the primary symptom is anxiety. I would totally give it a shot. Remember, it takes most people 4-6 wks or even longer before they start feeling better.

If you do decide to start it, it might even help to write down how you feel on your worst days so that once the Wellbutrin has you feeling normal, you remember why you're on it. People often go off it once they're feeling better because they're sure they no longer need it, then the cycle continues. I hope you can find some relief

Last edited by pinkflower; 03-23-2011 at 10:11 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Don't know about wellbutrin, but when I started taking lexapro for me depression & anxiety it definitely helped with irritability as well. I hope it works for you! =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/194/160

Height: 5' 4"

i take wellburtin and its works on both. but i have to take its once and morning and again at night. im not crazy about that part
fireravensees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/181/169

Wellbutrin can cause "aggitation". This happened to me so I became more irritable. it subsided within a month and I felt more even after that. It also made me feel more jittery and wound up at first. which coupled with adderral may be a concern...

but thats just my experience.

on the plus side it really helped my depression, i quit smoking, and it stopped my compulsion to binge eat.

so for me the pluses outweigh any negatives.
laughingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I was on Wellburtin for a few months but only experienced the side effects of the meds so my Primary took me off. The only med that I noticed a drastic weight gain on was Prozac. Apparently the higher the dose you're on the more weight you gain! I believe I gained about 40lbs in four months, I was living in yoga pants because none of my clothes fit me anymore (which dosen't help when you're depressed!). I'm currently on Lamictal, which has been AMAZING it's actually a mood stabilizer, afer being on anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds for years, the Lamicatal has been a life saver. We are all different in how our bodies respond to medications, but don't give up trying to find the right fit for you. Prozac was actually wonderful, but I just couldn't see myself staying on a med that was making me physically unhealthy. Good luck!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the responses everyone! You all had some really good input I've kept a blog for the past 6 months of the depression and my moods so I will definitly be referencing how I feel a month or two from now and comparing it to than...So far the wellbutrin seems alright, I am a little paranoid about the whole seizure being a possible side effect thing, but pretty much any medication is going to have scary stuff like that right? haha I just hope the odds are good it doesnt happen to me! :P anyhow it will be nice to feel less depressed, irritable, and maybe even eating healthier and not binge eating either soon so hopefully it will work well for me! :P thx guys!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

A regular yoga practice has been a huge help for my depression and anxiety, with no side affects except pants that keep getting too loose.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/212/120

I am on 150mg of welbutrin in the AM and in the PM. I take 60mg of cybalta in the afternoon. I have never been as motivated to improve my life as I am now. At first I took cybalta and welbutrin together in AM;I got muscle twitches in my face. I spaced them out and it resolved. I think the welbutrin is what controls my "hostile" irritability. Sad to say it but if I try to wean myself, and believe me I've tried it, 'The Little Witch' within awakens after about 3 days....I can't even stand myself off my meds.
deew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I have had good success with Wellbutrin XL (generic version). I used to have horrible rages at the simplest things, like a check-out line that was too long due to one person, or just anything out of my control that delayed me. Much much better now!

I think maybe that vibration in your building would upset anyone! sure hope that stops soon for you.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #11  

Well I was on the wellbutrin for a few months, and wasn't showing any sign of feeling less depressed, and actually I ended up gaining weight (go figure I thought it'd help me lose!) so I switched to Pristiq about 6 wks ago and honestly I am feeling much better in general. My appetite is about the same but some days are better than others...I hope I can lose the weight, because I am almost back at my original high weight =( I am now 184. But I am hoping to lose it again and I hope that the Pristiq will help me from binging anymore!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

The pill could be causing your irritability. Try going off it. Some people react badly to hormon contraception.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Try kickboxing or some form of exercise to take out anger. Remember the world will not change for you, you have to change yourself to fit in this crezy world.if floor shakes or neighbours hawl...nothing can be done about it.
The other day i herd a story let me tell you.
In olden days some japnese used to catch some. Cod fish, freeze it and send it to far away land to sell it.But, nobody baught it because it used to be tastless.
So, they started it sending live Cod fish with water and food for the fish. But, still the fish used be tastless as the fish used to be without any exercise. Then someone told send a catfish along the cod fish. Now, the cod fish used to chase the catfish away from the food. So the Cod used to be healthy. And there was great demand for the fish.
So depression is your catfish try and chase it away with exercise and your life will be tasty.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #14  

Thanks Puneri
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I saw that someone mentioned Lamictal above. I'm on a Lamictal, Abilify, Wellbutrin cocktail. I had the symptoms that you're describing and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder. However, I'm still unclear as to whether these are helping. I do feel better while on them, but I still experience irritability. But my rages have subsided. I was on just Lamictal and Abilify, but still had some lingering depression. So my doctor added on Wellbutrin. I haven't noticed too much of a difference. I definitely don't experience the burst of energy most people say that they get from it. But I'm also not saying that it doesn't work for me. I think that sometimes when you even out you don't really notice how much the medication is helping.

So long story made short, make sure that you're getting the right drug for the right issues. You might actually need to be on a mood stabilizer instead of just an anti depressant. But obviously this is something that you'll have to discover by working with a doctor (I recommend a psychiatrist if you can afford it). But whatever you choose, good luck in your journey. There is always something out there for everybody. You'll just have to be patient figuring out what it is for you.
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote