General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Dying My Hair

I'm really nervous but I've wanted to dye my hair Auburn for over a year and I even bought the coloring but I just kept putting it off and my sister decided to dye her hair that color. She finally decided to switch to dark brown and my box of hair dye is sitting her in my hand. I really don't want my hair to end up getting messed up or for me not to like it but I don't take many risks in life and I figure if it's something I've wanted to do for a long time I might as well just do it and if it turns out bad or messes up my hair then oh well lesson learned. Hair grows back right? At least that's what I keep telling myself.

So any one else around here change their hair color? If so did you like it or did you end up missing your "real hair"? Can hair dye seriously mess up your hair or does the vitamin enriched stuff keep it from doing too much damage?

So many things to think about.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I dyed my hair black before I liked it but to many people in school dyed their hair black so I didnt redye it and it didnt mess up my real hair. Hair dye can do damage to your hair if you dye it a lot with in a small amount of time like your hair could get thin or fall out but depends on genetics I think and only if you dye it a lot. I say go for it and if you have a program like photoshop you could try coloring over your hair to see how it would look, not sure if the picture would show what the color will turn out to be but I think it would come out close. Good luck
Bulletproof Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I've dyed my hair black for years and because I treat it very, very kindly in all other respects, it's remained very thick, soft, and shiny despite doing my roots each month. I don't miss my natural hair color one bit and everyone I know agrees, black hair suits me best.

As for the vitamin enriched dyes and whatnot- frankly, vitamins ON the hair will do nothing for it. Your best bet in minimizing damage, if you do go for it with a chemical dye, is using one that's ammonia free.

Anyway, I think you should be adventurous and try it. If you decide you don't like it, you can always return to your natural color.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

There are different strengths of hair dyes - rinses, semi permanent and permanent. So that will tell you if its for good or not.

I have my hair dyed to my natural color to cover gray with the stronger permanent dyes. I have it done every 6 weeks and have done this for many years. No damage. I once thought I would try disguising the gray with blonde streaks but I didn't look all the good as a blonde which it becomes when you streak it over and over. When I was a teen, I dyed it black to try to be like Cher. Yeah...no, not a good color for me.

I had a brown lab 10 years ago and would have killed to have her color fur on my head. It was deep auburn. My dog now is a tawny auburn and its gorgeous too. I envy your choice to go auburn. Do it. Go on, do it!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/197/180

Height: 5'10

Yes, and I regret it. Naturally i have a blond hair and one winter it randomly went dark blond (probably lack of sunlight). So I dyed it light blonde.. and ever since then my roots have come in dark! I wish I had my light blonde back.. but I'm not really sure if its my body or if it was really the dye that messed it up.

If you do it.. make sure you post pictures!
Live4Summer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #6  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

go for it!

If it turns out an absolutely horrible colour, you can always just re-dye over it in a few days with your natural colour, then never ever touch the stuff again xD
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #7  

Okay guys I went for it. Still gotta wait for it dry but I can already see that the hair dye left my natural highlights (they are lighter auburn highlights now XD) so atleast that makes me happy. I'll post a picture in the morning.

p.s. summer your hair probably did that naturally. i know several people who had light blonde hair but it changed to dark blonde or brown during puberty.

Last edited by niafabo; 03-23-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #8  

lol. well so much for that my hair looks basically the same the only difference is when the light hits it. XD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030772.jpg (24.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by niafabo; 03-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #9  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I dye my hair all the time. I'm actually a natural blonde. I hate blonde hair! so for missing my colour heck no! I love auburn that's usually the colour I always do my hair, sometimes I'll go drastic and dye it black, let it grow out, then go back to auburn. haha.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I've dyed my hair so many times over the years,with good,bad and neutral results,lol.I've had purple hair(was suposed to be auburn),pink hair(was red and suposed to wash out),and who knows what else.Never regretted it,even when I messed up....like now,I tried highlighting it,and I don't like how it turned out. I do let my hair grow out quite a bit in between,because I am always afraid it will get damaged.Have fun with it though...it's only hair and will grow out
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I accidently got blue streaks once. I tried to cover over blonde highlights with a brown dye with ash tones and it resulted in blue streaks.
I am actually taking a break from coloring my hair for now. Haven't seen my real color in a long time. I am seeing so many streaks of gray in it, I might change it again. lol
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I've bleached my hair, gone red, purple (the red and purple faded to a gross burnt orange), blue tips, brown...pretty much everything and I don't think I've ever regretted it. The color I always fall back on though is blonde on top with brown underneath (I'm a natural blonde but I like bleaching it a bit lighter than my natural color). Hair color isn't permanent, so you should experiment and see what you like!

The only thing I really HAVEN'T done is black. I don't think I could ever convince myself to dye my hair black. I doubt it'd work with my skin.

Last edited by Linsy; 03-24-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
lol. well so much for that my hair looks basically the same the only difference is when the light hits it. XD
Your hair looks pretty like that it came out good!

Last edited by Bulletproof Heart; 03-24-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Bulletproof Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #14  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

oohhh that looks nice (and its all shiny too~!)

also, I approve of the shirt
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #15  

lol. thanks guys!

i think i may dye it with a more auburny auburn hair dye next month. nervous about trying any sooner then that because that hair dye stung and my hair shed like crazy thankfully i've always had lots of hair so it just went from really thick to thick. XD