Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188.5/112/119

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy My weight won't budge!

I've been on weight watchers since May last year and have lost quite a bit of weight, but now I am close to my goal (although I still feel fat and like I have loads to lose) it just won't shift! My weight has been going up and down for months now and I have only lost 2lbs since the start of February! I joined a gym and have been going 2-3 times a week for the past few weeks but it doesn't seem to have made a difference at all. I just don't know what to do and it's really getting me down as I feel like I'll never ever get there HELP!!

Last edited by Fairy; 03-23-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Are your calories low enough? What is your balance of protien, carbs, and fats? I know it's a lot harder to lose weight at 142 then it is at 180 you should but you should be losing atleast 1 pound a month though if you are sticking entirely to plan. Maybe you need to change your routine like if you run you should bike or do the elliptical and if you usually do aerobics you should try kick boxing or dance. How much water are you drinking? If you've been sticking entirely to plan you could try eating at maintaince or going over your calorie limit for a day or two to see if your body is holding on to reserves.

Last edited by niafabo; 03-23-2011 at 09:13 AM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

My advice to you would be to reassess how many calories you are taking in... wat you need to take in cold be lower now to lose weight. Also cut the carbs. try to get less then 100g net cards.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
now I am close to my goal (although I still feel fat and like I have loads to lose)
If you're close to goal maybe you're unhappy with the way you look, not so much what you weigh. Lifting weights can really transform what your body looks like however you have to be prepared that it's not going to make that number on the scale go down much (in some cases people see the scale go UP).

Case in point: When I lifted weights regularly I was a full size smaller than I am now but weighed exactly the same.

But you said you were CLOSE to goal so to break that stall you're in you could try mixing up the ratio of macronutrients (protein, fat & carbs). I've found that I lose best on a high protein diet with no processed grains. Also cutting sugar and HFCS out of my diet (as much as humanly possible, lol) has been a big help too.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm not there yet, but based on what i've read on other threads, calorie cycling really helps.

Every calorie counts the closer to goal. I'm not sure how calorie cycling translates to WW but maybe you can cycle your daily points but keep the weekly points at the recommended number?
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Also, take measurements, get your body fat measured with calipers and keep track of your strength and stamina. You will notice changes in these things even though the scale may not be moving much. It should not be your only barometer of success.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #7  

Going to the gym 2-3 times a week is not enough to do anything towards weight loss. You need at least 1 hour a day most days of the week and to alternate weights and cardio.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you have been dieting fairly consistantly since last May I'd suggest you take a diet break to reset things metabolically and hormonally.

It is true as others have mentioned the thinner you get the more difficult losing fat can become but I wouldn't think you're at the point where you need some fancy scheme. Having said that cycling calories around your workout days is not a bad idea.

After a break.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/168.8/135

My advice in these situations is usually to mix it up and try something new. Our bodies tend to get used to a certain amount of calories and a certain amount of time working out per day. If you change it up a little (like the calorie cycling or doing some new workouts) it can sometimes jumpstart (again) your metabolism. Good luck!
Hot4Teacher23 is offline   Reply With Quote