General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Ever have a mole removed?

Have you ever had a mole removed? I have a rather prominent one on my neck. It never bothered me and was always covered by my hair, but I realized the other day that with my shorter hair, it's quite exposed. I always kind of liked it because my mom had the same type mole in the exact same spot. Now I just think it's weird.

I'm thinking about having it removed?

Does it hurt?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I've had several taken off my face and I didn't experience any pain. They injected a little lidocaine first and then it just felt like something scraped across my skin. Nothing painful at all. After the lidocaine wore off, I did need to change the band-aids often b/c it was summertime and the sweat made the raw skin sting. Overall, I am really happy. I only had a little scarring with the largest one but it's not bad at all and makeup covers it just fine.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

They will freeze the area so you won't feel a thing, cept the freezing needle. I had two removed one off of each arm.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #4  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

I haven't, but my mother has had several removed, including a large one on her chin. She said it didn't hurt, and there is no scar visible at all.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Depends. Usually it's just a local freezing and cut out, some places use liquid nitrogen to freeze it off - that irritates for a few days until it does fall off. It's a little tender after removal either way until it heals completely. It's like a toothache - you can't stop thinking about the irritation, but it doesn't really hurt.
Hope this helps.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Thanks guys! This is a pretty good sized raised one, like a wadded up piece of string.

Just "freezing it" doesn't too reassuring, but...if you all say so.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

I had a bunch removed last September. The ones around my neck were technically skin tags, they numbed with lidocaine and snipped off with scissors. There was one on my nose which was a hemangioma, basically a blood vessel on the outside of my skin. That was numbed and burned off. There was a large wart-looking mole on my forehead that was numbed and sliced off just under the skin, left a scar that looks like a chicken-pox scar. There was a mole on my chest that was numbed and scooped out so that the skin around and under could be tested. That one left the worst scar, still pink but getting better daily.

Did they hurt? Well, the sting of the needle was unpleasant but did not make me cry. Didn't feel the removal, and while they were healing the itching was worse than any pain I might have felt. I do remember my forehead being sore for a day or maybe 2, but I attributed it to being so close to a bone, no fat underneath?

I would not let fear of the pain (which I found to be minimal) stop you from having it taken off. The ones on my face and neck were purely vanity, they were ugly and I wanted them gone. The one on my chest was not only ugly, it was scary. They were sent for testing, all turned out fine!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #8  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Thanks guys! This is a pretty good sized raised one, like a wadded up piece of string.

Just "freezing it" doesn't too reassuring, but...if you all say so.
My dermatologist used the lidocaine and this little blade scraper looking thing. Oh yeah, he also cauterized the area. I have never had them freeze one off. It probably depends on the size, location, type of mole.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I had one on my thumb removed. It was growing very fast. The shot really hurt. It has to go very deep into my tissue. He then dug it out. Tured out to be a skin cancer, sasquatch something or other.

I'm now seeing a different dermatologist. He has used liq nitro to burn off several that were more annoying than anything else. He just burned off another one that looked like another cancer in training.

You'll be fine. Let us know how they removed it.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

I had one removed on my back. My doctor froze it and it fell off a few days later. My husband also had one removed by string, like castration. I prefer the freezing method! No pain!! I do have slight darkening where the mole once was. But no bump!!
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I had one cut off in a doctors office by a PA (physician's assistant).
He numbed it with a lidocaine shot first. I don't remember any pain, but it bled a lot and got blood all over my shirt.
I still have a shiny round scar there though. So, think about possibly having a scar where you have it taken off.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I had a suspicious mole removed and the dr injected both a pain killer and a blood vessel restrictor. She then carved a deep elliptical shaped area out and then 3 stitches. Result negative. If it doesn't look suspicious (and this mole didn't to me) it would probably be a more simple procedure.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have had one burned off and one frozen off,no cutting involved.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #14  
~Kim~

I had a rather large one removed. I had the numbing shot and then he removed it with a razer blade and then burned the blood vessels. It didn't hurt while he did it, but then the shot wore off it stung for a few hours. I have a scar and right in the middle a spot has turned dark brown again. He said there is a chance it will grow back.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Had one removed under my right breast. It was weird shaped and the bra kept hitting it so it was removed. It didn't hurt, but have some others on me that are yucky looking. I wanna get them removed, but the one that was left an ugly round scar. I don't want a bunch of pockmarks on my face and arms.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote