Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Question What if I....

So I'm feeling really down today. Like REALLY blue... I haven't lost a lb in 2 weeks. 149 thats it...Mini plateau i guess. What's funny is the past 2 weeks i haven't gone over my calories once for the first time i think in months. I did go out to dinner right before tho when i saw 148 on the scale so i know i can get there. So discouraging seeing the same number day after day, when I've lost 1-2lbs almost every week thus far. Im proud of what Ive done don't get me wrong, It amazes me i've come this far but once the excitement wears off its still me having to lose ANOTHER 15lbs. Summers coming up quick and if i don't make it close to goal ill feel like i totally failed.

I've been lurking around at all the plateau threads and advice. I have ideas rolling in my head like lowering my calories, upping my calories. Another thing i thought of today was what if, I went off plan for a week or so..stop counting calories and then jumpstart again back to 1100-1200calories. Screw with my metabolism for a week and then "start" dieting again. Anybody ever try this?? I mean i'm willing to gain the couple lbs if i can start going back to losing, ya know? err i dont know im so confused. I know that a 2wk plateau doesn't seem like much but when i've kept at this for the last 4months and struggled everyday because i'm still so obsessed with food it makes it that much harder when i don't see results. Staying on plan and pushing through this is getting the best of me
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #2  
ALLERGIC TO BODY FAT

S/C/G: 189/14x/138

Height: 5'3"

I had the same thing happen to me so I started reading about BMR and eating the correct amount of calories to fuel my body. I was staying around 1200 for so long and with my exercise, you would think the pounds would have been melting off of me, but they were coming off painfully slow. So, I took a week off to let my body rest from overtraining and up'd my calories. Now, if I hadn't been exercising so much, I probably wouldn't have taken the week off from exercise, i simply would have just increased the calories. I am still in the middle of my experiment, but hopefully I will see soon if this is going to work. I think it is!!!

Understanding that I should never ever eat below my BMR makes sense to me now, but before I just wanted to wrap myself around 1200 and call it a day. Unfortunately its not always about eat less, exercise more..especially if you are not taking in enough calories.

I wish I could tell you more right now, but since I am in the middle of resetting my metabolism, I will have to check back with ya in a week or 2 and give you the results
DEDIKAYTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Please do! I'm very interested to see your results!

Last edited by WeightForMe; 03-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #4  
ALLERGIC TO BODY FAT

S/C/G: 189/14x/138

Height: 5'3"

I sure will!! Stay tuned!

Last edited by DEDIKAYTED; 03-22-2011 at 06:43 AM.
DEDIKAYTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I do understand how you feel. My weight loss hasn't been completely linear, that's for sure!

It's not new advice or anything, but have you been taking measurements along the way? Something I noticed for me is that, when my weight loss seemed to hit one of these "mini-plateaus," that's when my measurements (and therefore, clothing sizes) would change. Seems weird, I know, but that was my experience.

You've lost 25 pounds! That's a BIG loss- don't sweat too much about a couple of weeks without a "regular" loss. Your body does need to adjust along the way, so be nice to yourself and don't beat yourself up.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

From mid-November until the beginning on March, I was bouncing between 165 and 175. Though I was moving, I considered it a plateau. I also was having some binging issues. Like DEDIKAYTED, I started looking at what my BMR is, amount of exercise (5 days a week in the gym plus 2 days walking) and calories. What I realized was I was eating not nearly enough calories - 1150 to 1250 for those 3+ months. I then upped it to about 1650 and since I did, the binges are gone and my weight has gone steadily down. I wasn't feeding my body nearly what it needed! I did not take a break from exercise but just the change in calorie allotment has helped. Since changing it just over two weeks ago, I've lost 7-1/2 pounds. I had also gotten a bit lax in my water intake, only getting 64 ounces a day. I've gone back up to 80 - 96 ounces a day which I'm sure has helped as well.

I would recommend looking at your BMR first and seeing what you are taking in compared to what it is. If you are under, you might consider raising your allotment. Good luck!
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

I'm glad this was posted. Recently I had surgery and due to complications I dropped 20 lbs in a month, which was a lot and very quickly.

I am currently following a bland diet and my appetite has yet to return to normal. I was very happy to lose the weight and I have been counting calories and staying around 1200 per day. I just can't seem to want to eat more.

I got on the scale today and I gained 4 lbs. I was very upset because I hardly eat and didn't think I would gain weight. I don't usually work out so that hasn't changed. I do move around a lot around the house, cleaning and going up and down stairs but that's about it.

I'm glad I read this post. I checked my BMR and it says I should be eating 1700 calories. Between the bland diet and my lack of appetite it will be a challenge (I never thought I would ever say that about food!), but now I know I need to eat more.

WeightForMe, maybe you're having the same issue and need to up your calories too.

I hope that works for us!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote