Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default 2nd week blues

Not the blues so much as I am just a little dissapointed. I weighed today, and I lost a pound since last Sunday. Now, I am celebrating the fact that I lost a pound in a week, but last week I lost five. I know that the second week is usually harder. I just hoped that I would be out of the 260's by now. Oh well! 6 pounds in two weeks is great, so I can't be too put out. I have made great strides, and in just a week of running, I am able to run most of the 2 miles running instead of walking. I know that this is amazing progress. I need to start measuring myself, really. I bet I've gotten more muscle! But, I am just a tiny bit down that I haven't lost a bit more. Any encouraging words? I am sure all of you have been where I am, and it's nice to be able to vent to you guys.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 03-19-2011 at 11:40 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Try not to be too down about it. The amount of weight you lose on a weekly basis will probably fluctuate quite a bit based on a lot of factors (hormonal changes at different times of the month, sodium and water intake, changes to the balance of carbs/protein/fats - a LOT of things), and I think that's pretty normal.

I saw a nutritionist last week, and I took to my appointment my entire food log from the past ~2 months, my exercise log, and my weight log. She pointed to the week when I lost 'only' 1.4 lbs and said "what happened that week?" Nothing special happened that week - I ate within my calories, I exercised, etc. I just didn't see a big drop that week. It was, however, followed by a week in which I lost a huge amount (5.9 lbs)... so there's definitely hope that you'll see a bigger drop at your weigh-in next week.

Keep doing what you're doing right now, as it's clearly working - you are losing weight! It WILL come off, and you'll see patterns and find strategies along the way that will help you to maximize your loss while staying healthy. Good luck, and stay positive.

Btw, I am totally impressed that you can run two miles. I struggled this week through Week 1 of C25K, which involves only 60 seconds of running at a time, lol. Congrats on all the progress you have made so far - it really IS an achievement.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #3  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree that you are making huge progress with your running-geez! If you keep it up like that and really focus on your diet like you have been, you are going to start losing some serious weight!

If it's any consolation to you, I think week 2 is probably one of the hardest weeks of all. All the excitement of "I'm starting!" is starting to become a little more routine, you're not going to see that big number which is mostly water that first week, and you might still be in that "am I really going to do this this time?" mindset. At least that's how it was for me. Keep at it a few more weeks and you'll probably really start to believe it's happening, that you can keep it up, that you are unstoppable!

Also, I'm a whoosher with my losses, like chickadee. I'll lose nothing for a week or 2 (or 3), then lose 3-5 lbs all at once. It's weird, but that's another wonky thing about week 2 -- you don't know what to expect yet. Keep going!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #4  

Thanks, guys! I have been really impressed with being able to run, but years ago, before I was quite this big, I used to run with my parents. It only lasted a few months, but I got up to running five miles. Running is something I know I can do, I just remember hating it a lot more than I do now.

I woke up today feeling exactly what you guys are telling me. I'm doing it right, I have lost, and I will loose more. I guess my problem is more patience than many things. It's like sometimes, I just don't realize that I didn't get fat in a week, I can't loose it all in a week. lol. It will take just about as long, if not longer. But I'm trying to be persistent and patient.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

You have many many many more weeks to go! The more consistent you are with your plan the more results you will see. Re-dedicate yourself, mix things up and analyze what you could improve on and look forward to your next weigh-in. Best wishes!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #6  

Thanks, Stacy! That's very true-It's a beautiful day to be extra dedicated and every day after this is too!