Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default :( switching from regular to diet.

I think I am over doing it on the "diet". I normally drink Dr Pepper and water constantly. Well I have been trying to switch from that to diet. and I think I am over doing it. I need some inspiration. Or jsut a pep talk.
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Are you still drinking the water? I am a heavy diet soda drinker. I have had family members badgering me for decades about it. Now, there is yet another study about a link between drinking diet sodas and heart attacks/strokes. I am confused by that because you aren't consuming the sugary "empty" calories and it really is low sodium. I read labels. However, I did hear that the phosphorus leaches calcium out of your bones so I have been taking Calcrate for the past six months or so to counteract that.

I do like cold water and as the weather warms up I will drink it more. I love unsweetened iced tea as well but I like the flavor and fizz in the soda products and that is why I drink them.

I don't know what you mean by overdoing since you didn't say how much you drink. I guess, I would say more than 2 liters (64 oz plastic bottle) would be pushing it as "enough". I can and have drank that much in a day.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

if you feel your drinking to much soda then you probably are. try switching to unsweetened tea or if you still need the fizziness club soda.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I think diet sodas make me feel hungrier. Maybe your whole day would be easier without sodas. I only have them as a treat right now.

If you need something with flavor try Crystl Ligt. I like the individual mixes and I shake it in a reusable cup. I buy the flavor with fiber so I get a little added fiber with my drink.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Is it the taste that's bothering you? I had trouble getting used to it at first, but now I love diet drinks and can't imagine ever buying a real soda. I'd suggest trying different types... some are hit or miss.

Maybe try switching it up with some fake-sugar tea as well, for a little variety.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  
Keep on Keep'in on

I try to drink my body weight in ounces with the water. Not always successful. I feel like I am cheating when I drink the diet because I will drink a bottle (16 oz) and then an hour later If I am not around water or I don't want water I drink a can. and so on. I just have heard stories about it being worse than anything you drink and I was just wondering if it is true.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #7  
Keep on Keep'in on

Maybe that is it. It's just not making me feel "full" like I want it to. I will try the crystal light with fiber that might help. Thanks everyone!! I tried drinking diet dr. pepper but it's hard to switch from regular to diet with that one!! I used to be able to drink it non stop my freshman year of college. that mixed with rice for lunch and daily walking helped me lose 20 lbs. Thanks for the support.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I lost most of my weight while drinking a ton of diet soda: I stopped only when I lost my taste for it. But I never felt it was a problem. I totally believe that it is for some people: makes them hungry, makes them crave real sugar. But it doesn't seem to have that effect on me. So experiment: we are all different.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #9  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i stopped drinking a lot of soda after my old nutritionist gave me a fact sheet about what they can do with soda (about 6-7 yrs ago). i won't list some of the stuff i remember from it here because i don't think it's appropriate, but if you google "uses for soda" or something like that, it might scare you straight. that's what happened to me. i drink a soda once a month (diet or not), if even.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrbeck View Post
I think I am over doing it on the "diet". I normally drink Dr Pepper and water constantly. Well I have been trying to switch from that to diet. and I think I am over doing it. I need some inspiration. Or jsut a pep talk.
I have a horrible Dew addiction I'm trying to kick right now.

Anyways, have you tried combining 1/2 regular and 1/2 diet (go to a soda fountain where you can combine them) and slowly doing more diet? Or you could always try lightly sweetened tea.

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 03-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #11  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I don't drink regular soda anymore due to the enormous amount of sugar/HFCS it contains, but I do occasionally have aspartame-free diet soda as a treat, typically Diet Rite, Diet Hansen's, or Zevia. I had to completely stop drinking most diet sodas after realizing what aspartame does to my system (see this post). I know it doesn't affect everyone in the same way but what happened to me was pretty scary; had I known what it was capable of doing to my body I'd have never touched the stuff in the first place.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote