Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #1  

Default Do you retain water after a semi-long distance run?

Lately, I've been running more (and finding that I love it! ). On Tuesday I went for a four mile run, and when I weighed in on Wednesday morning and was up to 125.5, which is higher than I've been since the summer. I always watch what I eat and measure everything/strictly count my calories, so I odn't think that's the culprit.

Yesterday, I went on a five mile run and ate less than usual, and still weighed in this morning at 125.5. My question is this: I know you can retain water after lifting, but does the same apply to long-distance running?

Thanks

Last edited by Kaspara; 03-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Kaspara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't experience water-retention after runs, no. I run 3 to 4 miles, six days per week and see no (negative) impact on the scale. However, I've been diong this for a long time, so perhaps my system has been regulated.
Nice work on running more - great sport for the psyche.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I experience some sort of "swelling" after almost any kind of exercise that's vigorous. After a hike, the next day my pants/tall boots always feel a little more snug. It lasts a day or two, then goes down. I'm assuming it's water. I tend to always be thirsty and most likely a little dehydrated so I think my body just grabs onto the water to keep my muscles safe.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4  
Workin' It

I retain water after long runs every time. I also tend to drink a lot during the longer runs and in the time afterward, so that probably adds to it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #5  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

I also retain water-- especially after "hard runs" where I've pushed myself to beat previous times. I run about 6-8 miles at a stretch and have seen "gains" the day after runs, then weight begin to drop off after a day or so.
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #6  

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it just is both worrying and annoying since I've been exercising more, but am heavier than I've been in over six months. Hopefully I'll flush out tomorrow
Kaspara is offline   Reply With Quote