Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #1  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Default To Tuck or Not to Tuck...

...that is the question. I've NEVER tucked my shirt into my pants because I've felt less self-conscious with my shirt covering my hips and belly. I just looked at myself in the mirror and noticed how 'sloppy' I look today in my long baggy shirt, but the thought of leaving my belly exposed is pure terror. At what point in your weight loss did you decide it was okay to start tucking in your shirt?
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwagontsl View Post
...that is the question. I've NEVER tucked my shirt into my pants because I've felt less self-conscious with my shirt covering my hips and belly. I just looked at myself in the mirror and noticed how 'sloppy' I look today in my long baggy shirt, but the thought of leaving my belly exposed is pure terror. At what point in your weight loss did you decide it was okay to start tucking in your shirt?
Um...today! LOL! Seriously, I just tucked for the first time today...and threw a sweater over top.

I guess I'm not ready yet, but I should be! I've seen women a lot larger than me tuck in their shirts and they look fantastic! It's not like we're actually hiding anything when we leave things untucked.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

It REALLY depends on the outfit for me to tuck in a shirt. For most of my casual wear, I don't tuck, I think it would look granny-ish. But for some trousers with a dressy blouse and a nice belt, I definitely tuck for a figure-flattering look.

But this is one of those things where we only THINK we're creating the illusion of us being smaller by "hiding" our problem areas. I used to wear humongo baggy sweatshirts because I didn't want people to see my tummy. Well my huge sweatshirts made me look like a giant shapeless blob and much bigger than I actually was. If I wore clothes that were flattering to my body at the shape and size that it was, I would have created the illusion of being smaller than I was. Or at the very least, I wouldn't have looked like a blob.

Make your outfits as figure flattering as possible. Blobby/baggy/shapeless billowing fabric is NEVER flattering. Clothes don't need to be skin tight and hugging every curve of your body to be flattering (in fact, they shouldn't be). Create long lones, small waist, and accentuate your best features.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
But this is one of those things where we only THINK we're creating the illusion of us being smaller by "hiding" our problem areas. I used to wear humongo baggy sweatshirts because I didn't want people to see my tummy. Well my huge sweatshirts made me look like a giant shapeless blob and much bigger than I actually was. If I wore clothes that were flattering to my body at the shape and size that it was, I would have created the illusion of being smaller than I was. Or at the very least, I wouldn't have looked like a blob.
^^ This. It depends very strongly upon your shape and upon the outfit, but if you have a waist at all, you might look better than you think tucking in your top to let your waist show.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I would check your shirt's fit before worrying about the tucking. It may simply be too big for you now. Did you buy it at a higher weight?

It's tempting to hang onto shirts even after they've become big because it seems possible to wear them at different fits (loose or tight, big shirt or slim fitted shirt). In reality, it's not. There are very specific cuts for shirts as the designer envisions different ways for them to skim the body & different ways to balance different types of pant.

This simply may not be the most flattering wardrobe item you own at the moment. If so, you know what to do.

I'm of the opinion that if you catch a glimpse of yourself in something, and it chills you to the bone, you should get rid of that garment. Immediately. Because it will forever after have the dark little cloud of that memory hanging over it in your closet, every time you look at it, and you will feel a little bad about yourself when you see it. And you will keep passing over it, never wearing it, choosing something else you own that makes you happier & has positive connotations attached. (You were happy when you wore it, you felt pretty, someone complimented you on it.)

So dump it now. Or it will just take up space for weeks, maybe months, till you are forced to dump it.

And remember, clothes are one of life's more replaceable things. Don't you owe yourself a shirt that makes you happy? Maybe after the next five pounds, or whatever your next goal is?

Last edited by saef; 03-16-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typos due to my half-distracted mind thinking the thread was about a drag queen. (I watch "RuPaul's Drag Race" a lot.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #6  
Gonna Do It This Time!

I'm definitely guilty of wearing my big, baggy clothing. I keep telling myself I'll go out and get myself a new wardrobe...when the weather changes. I should have treated myself to new clothing for the fall/winter (and never did) and now I'm thinking I should go out and pick up some new things for the spring/summer. I just dread doing it, but I guess I really can't put it off any longer.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, darling, "dread" is a sad word when it comes to shopping. It should make you happy. You are emerging. You are shedding your outgrown, outsize stuff for something that fits better.

One shirt. Or maybe two. Promise me. What's your best color? You don't need to do a wholesale replacement of everything, all at once. You know, that's the same kind of all-or-nothing thinking that doesn't help us much when we're working at slow & gradual & steady weight loss.

Toss that shirt. Bring home another that makes you happier. Now that is not too intimidating, is it? Your mission: One shirt. Just one. That fits. That's all.

It may make you happier than you think, to see yourself in a smaller size.

Assignment given. I expect you to report back here within a week, with new shirt that fits right in your hand.

Last edited by saef; 03-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I'm of the opinion that if you catch a glimpse of yourself in something, and it chills you to the bone, you should get rid of that garment. Immediately. Because it will forever after have the dark little cloud of that memory hanging over it in your closet, every time you look at it, and you will feel a little bad about yourself when you see it. And you will keep passing over it, never wearing it, choosing something else you own that makes you happier & has positive connotations attached. (You were happy when you wore it, you felt pretty, someone complimented you on it.)
I had never thought about this in this way, but there's a lot of truth to that.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I had never thought about this in this way, but there's a lot of truth to that.
There's a lot of truth to what she said about pitching one shirt and replacing it with one shirt too. The things I learn in the place!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

So dump it now. Or it will just take up space for weeks, maybe months, till you are forced to dump it.
I agree wholeheartedly. There was this pair of warm trousers in January ... I can't tell you how bad ... They went and then I only had one warm pair. So now I'm in long johns and wide summer linen trousers. I tell you, that's a *much* better look for me.

So chuck it. Ditch it. And full-scale get rid of it.

You won't look back.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #11  
Gonna Do It This Time!

@Saef: I went shopping for clothing last year and found it extremely frustrating because my bottom is a regular 16 and my top is still a 1X (I am blessed with big boobs). I had such a hard time finding anything that fit me properly so I pretty much gave up. I find that 1X women's sizes are cut very different from an 18 Misses size. The 1X are baggy and the 18 Misses are fitted and they are too tight and gap in the front. Yes...excuses, I know. I promise I'll go look for one great shirt this weekend.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I am afraid of tucking too! And I am also guilty of wearing too big clothes. Right now my pants are hanging off of me and my shirt is a 1X, clearly too big for me at the moment. And I even went out! The bigger clothes just make me feel bigger...we do deserve clothes that fit. Thank you saef you are so right! I have done some shopping and do have clothes that fit me, I need to pitch the ones that are too big and buy a few more things that fit.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #13  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

This is somewhat off the topic of tucking or not tucking, but to go along with the discussion of well-fitted clothes = positive feelings....

The process of donating/tossing/giving away my old clothes and getting new clothes was a very significant process for me. I'm not too materialistic, and I don't care all that much about fashion or what brands I'm wearing or anything, so I was kind of surprised how much it meant to me. Getting rid of the old big clothes was kind of like sloughing off the old Megan. Also, it got rid of any excuses to gain any weight back because I'd have to either go naked of face the miserable shame of having to go shopping for bigger clothes. As I bought new clothes, I found myself gravitating to brighter, more stylish, and of course more flattering clothes. I wasn't just buying any clothes to try to cover up as much of myself as I could, I was buying clothes that I felt presented my body in an attractive way and that made me feel good about myself. For the first time in my life, I was developing my own style.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote