Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #1  
Journey to New Self!

S/C/G: 287/272/268

Default Late Night Cravings! Ugh!!....

I think it is sabotaging my hard work and efforts but I CANNOT seem to gain control of it when I notice the urges become more frequent. On good days, I would do good the entire day, my workout for an 1+, record my meals in my food journal couting calories all feeling really energized and satisfied..then there are days where I do all of this and binge late at night. It starts with urges that are hard to ignore even WHEN I DO. It seems to happen more often when I am about to have my cycle. When this happens its ridiculously out of control and the urge for sweets and snacks are at a 10. I feel guilty afterward but I am really reaching out for support and advice now. I am really working toward a 'transformation' now and this is only holding me back. I signed up for my 1st 10 April 2 and I need not let this issue get the best of me. Appetite suppressant tips? Similar situations? Suggestions?

Thanks
Dee
whitlockdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

This happens to me too, and *usually* I can just force myself to fall asleep and by the morning I'm fine. Eating carrot sicks and drinking green tea helps me too.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #3  
Zumba Freak :)

S/C/G: 267/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I, too, have late night cravings. Try to eat something that isn't heavy - like sugar free jello, veggies, chug a bottle of water, or if you can - chew come sugar free gum. This helps me
martha328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #4  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

You might want to add more protein to your diet. Also, try to go to bed before that mid-night snacking bug starts acting up. Being over-tired makes me snack a lot.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I have the worst night-hunger! Just now I'm switching between drinking tea, and drinking lo-cal hot chocolate at night, and seems to stop me from serious binging... for now :P
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Invest in an air popped popcorn maker. You can have a big bowl of popcorn for about 100 calories if you air pop it and it relieves the munchies.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I also have been having bad cravings. I have been trying to get to bed earlier, drink glasses of water, and eating carrots or celery when I really feel like I have to eat. It's hard, but one day at a time. I've been trying to just focus on each day. If I can only get through today, I tell myself. I hope yours get less pronounced as time goes on, though! They're hard to ignore!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I have them too. Finally figured out it is about a week before TOM. I am trying to go to sleep. If that doesn't work I try to have a spoon of peanut butter. If that doesn't work I end up witht he BIG 'OLE bowl of cereal. My nighttime nemesis- but last time I made three small bowls thinking I must really want it if I got up three times to refill the bowl!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I take a sleeping pill that makes me want to eat. Sometimes I don't even remember doing it. I feel so bad the next day because I stick to plan and turn down temptations and then blow it after I go to bed. One day last week I ate buffalo wing flavored pork rinds that were in the cupboard forever with truvia, melted butter and cinnamon. GAG!!! I know because of the leftovers. I try to quit taking the sleeping pills but then I lay there wide awake all night and have to go to work the next day. I think about maybe if I had a week off and could stay off them for however long it takes to sleep because of exhaustion. The last time I tried I made it three days without sleep before I gave in and took one.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #10  

I know how that feels. I get the binge urge at night, especially when Im about to hit my monthly cycle too. Its really hard to fight, and most times I lose, especially when im just starting out. What I do is chew gum, I love that new Extra deserts delights gum, and drink lots of water then go to bed waiting for the feeling to pass. In the morning I feel great for winning the battle. But on the nights I lose and give in to the temptations I feel horrible and defeated the following day. The feeling alone drives me to try harder not to give in again.
LaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #11  

Night time cravings are my number 1 down fall. I notice I look forward to that late night snack after putting my kids to bed! Its like my way to unwind. Ugh! And the later I stay up the worse it gets.
Someone else suggested air popped popcorn. Perfect. You can have a lot (I like basically eating as much as I like) and not completely destroy a day. It takes me forever to eat popcorn. So I can't down an excessive amount.

And lately I've been having a glass of wine at night. 4 oz, white zin. About 80 cals. Its something sweet for me to "nurse" at night, and by the time I'm done I'm tired (wine make me sleepy) and I'm off to bed. BEFORE I can get to eating. I also set a bed time. Like the kids were asleep by 8pm, so I set a bedtime for 9pm. I only give myself about an hour before I put myself to bed.

I usually spend that hour cramming in everything I want to do before sleep (like this website, facebook, phone calls to friends, ect) so I don't have time to snack. I think when I stay up for hours at night I am looking for things to do.

Hope something I said helps!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #12  
Journey to New Self!

Wow so glad to hear familiar situations!..like I am having a craving now and its 1AM where I am..I think I will drink water and eat a plum (they're about 30 cal. and have low GI) Hopefully this will hold me until the craving passes!! I think I will join the binge support group too. Saw it after I started this thread
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I've just started eating HUGE dinners (as in, 50%-70% of my daily calories) and I have NO nighttime cravings. I have varied between having all my meals equally sized, my lunches large etc, and big dinners of tons of healthy stuff where I am REALLY full afterwards is the only thing that actually kills the nighttime cravings. I had one brownie for dessert last night and I couldn't even bear the thought of having another bite- that never happens!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #14  
Journey to New Self!

huge dinners is a good idea..for dinner today (technically yesterday) i ate a huge salad?..its holding me so far...night 2 of binge freeness..we'll see how it goes..
Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Default Hunger pangs wake me! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarianlives View Post
I have the worst night-hunger! Just now I'm switching between drinking tea, and drinking lo-cal hot chocolate at night, and seems to stop me from serious binging... for now :P
Well, everyone knows that I am not the biggest eater, however, my hunger pangs are at night and like now, I could eat a horse. Before I changed my eating habit (altho I seem to be regressing!), my first meal was at noon and I was fine, I could skip breakfast and do a late lunch, but I could NOT skip dinner and had to have a late night snack as I am a night owl and by I go to bet at 2am, my last meal was 7 hours prior at dinner.However, even when I go to bed earlier, I sometimes used to be awakened by hunger pangs.

To the OPP, on my current eating plan, I keep low cal snacks, soups or I drink some hot tea and a piece of fruit. I also make space in my calorie counting for midnight snack and I have still, and am still losing weight. Find a way to either go to bed early or leave space for a midnight snack ( make sure it is low cal!)

Last edited by kimmieval; 03-18-2011 at 01:33 AM.
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote