General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/215/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Multivitamins causing fatigue?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

This may seem a bit odd but i've found that when i'm taking a generic, one-a-day multivitamin, I feel really tired a few hours later and then all day.

After a quick sniff around, it seems some other people find that taking a multivitamin does the same to them. It never occured to me that something that should be making you more energetic was having the reverse effect.

Anyone else encountered this? Is it really the multivitamin or something else at work (or not at work as the case may be)?
bazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Good question. I don't think this has ever happened to me, but right now, I'm taking one of those vitamins that are made out of whole foods.

Maybe you need to take a different kind of multivitamin?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Low levels of Vitamin D are a common (but frequently missed) cause of fatigue. Just had my levels checked a year ago and it was only 7.5...levels should be at least 50! After 6 months treatment, it's only up to 14! Back on Vitamin D Supps...

Also...just read some info about taking Magnesium with Vitamin D is very important and they work in synergy. Google info on that..you'll be surprised...I know I was.

BTW, I'm so happy I had a good doc (last year) who decided to check my vitamin D...most docs won't do it unless the patient requests it. I think it's an expensive test...
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'm not sure about the exhaustion, but if you're looking for a good multivitamin, I like food based vitamins rather than those synthetics that run rampant in drugstores. I order Rainbow Light http://www.rainbowlight.com/ via amazon and they're the only thing that I've been able to stomach, and my nutritionist gives them a thumbs up.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/133.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
Low levels of Vitamin D are a common (but frequently missed) cause of fatigue. Just had my levels checked a year ago and it was only 7.5...levels should be at least 50! After 6 months treatment, it's only up to 14! Back on Vitamin D Supps...

Also...just read some info about taking Magnesium with Vitamin D is very important and they work in synergy. Google info on that..you'll be surprised...I know I was.

BTW, I'm so happy I had a good doc (last year) who decided to check my vitamin D...most docs won't do it unless the patient requests it. I think it's an expensive test...
Yup, I complained about fatigue to my doctor several weeks ago and had a similar problem.

As to the other poster, maybe get your vitamin levels checked and see what is going on. I get sick to my stomach after taking a multi-vitamin (for a good 4-5 hours) and a little "spacey" for an hour or so after taking it so I take the vitamins in the evening now. Could you do that?
asweetchicagogirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

You need to put your multivitamin in the trash and purchase a WHOLE-FOOD VITAMIN (vegetarian tablet). You need to take multivitamins with food. If it is making you tired, you are lucky -- cause for many it makes them nauseated as well. So chuck it! NOW!

Oh, and depending on your age, if you are young woman, you likely need some iron in your vitamin.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/150/140

Height: 5'6

i don't know what causes the fatigue, but most people don't really need multivitamins (or any other supplements) to begin with.

if you're that concerned about your daily nutrient intake (as well as about the fatigue), check with your doctor. personally, i would just stop the multivitamin use until further notice.

Last edited by plasticfoodwrap; 03-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.
plasticfoodwrap is offline   Reply With Quote