Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Hello im new to cc and im doing south beach too.

Hello people!

Im a Weight-loss student who is currently trying to get a PHD or at least a Bachelors in South Beach That was a joke by the way.. Um..no really..im on South Beach currently and its a love/hate thing..I love it cause i lose weight..i hate it cause i really want bread! But i cant eat bread anyway because i cant have gluten or wheat..so that sucks regardless..

Anywho..i was just wondering if yalls wanted to help fill me in with this whole calorie counting thing.. i have a few questions like

1) How do you have the willpower to not go and eat things that taste amazing all the time? Like how do you choose veggies over weight watchers snack cakes?? or your other favorite snack?

2) How many pounds do you usually lose in a week when you first started? And did you exercise?

3) What site did you use to track your calories?

4) Whats a body bugg anyway? Ive heard of it but never seen it?

5) Have you found success doing calorie counting as your main lifestyle diet program? or do you combine it with other programs like south beach or atkins?

6) Any of you find success despite having insulin resistence? Do you try and eat lower in carbs? or higher in carbs:? do you feel starved? or happy medium?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post

1) How do you have the willpower to not go and eat things that taste amazing all the time? Like how do you choose veggies over weight watchers snack cakes?? or your other favorite snack?
I do eat stuff that tastes amazing all the time. I go light on the calorie-dense stuff and heavy on the not-so-dense stuff. For example, dinner last night was three ounces of steak, a cup of broccoli, and half a cup of cubed roasted sweet potatoes. It's basically the same stuff I've always enjoyed, but in different proportions (my old meal would've been two cups of potatoes, eight ounces of steak, and two little broccoli florets. )

"Willpower" has nothing to do with it. I don't let snack cakes into the house because I KNOW I'd eat them. Instead, I buy stuff that don't trigger the desire to eat more-more-more; I can eat a single Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich and not want another, but I cannot do the same thing with any cakey-type sweet.

The same philosophy goes for the stuff I used to be hooked on--salty crunchy snacks. I just don't let them through the door. If I MUST have salty/crunchy, it's going to be three crispbread pieces with some hummus and carrot sticks, not a bag of cheetos.

There's no "willpower" involved in not eating crap that isn't there.

Quote:
2) How many pounds do you usually lose in a week when you first started? And did you exercise?
When I first started, I lost about three pounds a week. I now average a pound a week--but some weeks it's two pounds, other weeks none. It's relatively slow, but I don't suffer at all; in fact, I like what I eat and I don't get cravings.

Quote:
3) What site did you use to track your calories?
I use FitDay.com. They're all about equally good, so pick whichever one has the format you like the best. The golden rule: you must write everything down. Even if you hate seeing it, even if you wish you could un-see it on your daily chart, write it down. If you can't be honest with yourself, you aren't going to have an easy time with CC.

Quote:
4) Whats a body bugg anyway? Ive heard of it but never seen it?
It's something my broke *** can't begin to afford. There's this thing called Google that helped me out, though. Looks like it's a wearable monitor thingie.

Quote:
5) Have you found success doing calorie counting as your main lifestyle diet program? or do you combine it with other programs like south beach or atkins?
I've been extremely happy with CC alone. I watch my carb intake only because carbs are calorie-dense foods; counting calories automatically makes me take smaller portions of things like bread and potatoes. If I wanted to, I could eat nothing but starchy stuff--but I wouldn't get a whole lot of substance on the plate, so I don't.

If I'm not mistaken, don't most low-carb plans mention something about not counting calories while on them?

Quote:
6) Any of you find success despite having insulin resistence? Do you try and eat lower in carbs? or higher in carbs:? do you feel starved? or happy medium?
I don't have insulin resistance. I do know that I feel miserable and starved if I cut ANY food group too low--fats, proteins, or carbs. I feel "munchy" if I let carbs creep too high. I feel ill if I eat too high-fat. Experimentation has taught me that a medium really is happy, at least for me. My ideal plate contains half vegetables, a quarter protein, and a quarter carbs plus a teaspoon or two of fat throughout.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote