Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Default Low Carb Suggestions for a Weight Watchers girl

I've been doing weight watchers since Jan 1st and so far I've lost 16 pounds and 8 inches. However, from Feb 10th-Yesterday I haven't lost a single pound.

I received some suggestions that I should lower my net carbs down to 100-125 g per day.

I was wondering if anyone else on WW has done this and if it's worked. Also, if there are any suggestions for lower carb foods that are not too high in points.

Thanks!
novelistabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

I buy the Kroger brand low-carb yogurt, it's super awesome! Not sure if you have a Sav-a-Lot where you live but they have low-carb whole wheat wraps which are really good and only 1 point I believe.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Depending on the foods you choose to eat, carbs can be lowered automatically. Like i choose not to have many chips, crackers, breads. The only carbs i really get are from fruit, and foods with mineral carbs because i refuse to use the points lol!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #4  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

More Lean meats and more veggies is the way to go. I try to limit my carb intake to 2 servings per day plus any carbs from fruits.

One of my favorites is turkey sausage and chicken sausage. Only 2 points or points plus per serving and super tasty. We usually make peppers and onions with it.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i wonder about lower carb items too... carbs seems to be the higher point value foods, to reach my allowance easier... If i just ate lean meats and vegetables all day (mostly) i'd be no where near my allowance
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #6  

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I did try turkey sausage this weekend. It was delicious.

So far today with breakfast, lunch, mid-morning and afternoon snack I'm only at 67 carbs. So it's not that hard!!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

You are doing really well to lose 16 lbs since January 1st! I wouldn't suggest going too low on carbs, although you might lose weight a bit faster, I don't think low-carb diets are very sustainable (I did one for at least a couple years, and I always ended up binging!). Fruits and veggies have a lot of carbs, and those are obviously good things! Cutting out refined foods (anything white, bread, pasta, rice) and using whole grains instead is a great way to still include healthy carbs.

Do you work out? I would suggest adding more workouts and/or eat less fruit and refined carbs to jump-start your weight loss again. It seems like maybe you are just at a mini-plateau, which is totally normal!!
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  

sfree13 - yea...i totally agree that i don't want to lower my carbs too much. I am trying for 100-125 per day. i had been eating more guacamole and hummus and peanut butter and nuts back in jan/early feb and was consistently losing 2 pounds a week. I stopped that and went to lower point foods where I could eat more, but they ended up having a lot of carbs and weren't filling me up.

I want to try to get more healthy protein. I don't eat much red meat, so lean meat, soy, avocado, nuts, hummus, beans, cottage cheese are just a few of the things I'm trying to work into my diet again and see if that helps.

I do work out at least 3 times per week, but usually more than that. I do a combo of elliptical, running/walking, weights, zumba, kickboxing.

Also, does anyone use protein powder to make protein shakes? If so, is there a filling and healthy option that you would recommend?

Last edited by novelistabac; 03-15-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelista225 View Post

Also, does anyone use protein powder to make protein shakes? If so, is there a filling and healthy option that you would recommend?
I do use whey protein almost every day. I make a protein shake in the morning, at least. I use 1 cup of soy milk (1 pp---50 calories per cup), and one scoop of protein powder (2 pp -- 100 calories and 24 grams of protein!). I sometimes add frozen cherries and strawberries, or just drink it more like chocolate milk. I can't remember the name of my whey, but it has zero carbs, zero sugar, and is low in fat. Its pretty much just protein but it has a nice chocolatey taste! I've tried many many different types of powders, many health stores have samples, so ask if you can try them! It is hard to find one you like sometimes that has the requirements you want, but just keep trying

I am not vegetarian, but I tend not to eat a lot of meat, just because I don't like it that much. I do eat yogurt, soy milk, other soy product, tofu, beans, nuts, nut butters to get my protein. I like to have one scoop of powder a day (minimum) as I then reach at least close to 50% of my protein needs for the day I read somewhere that your body can only absorb about 25 grams of protein at a time, so if I had 50 in the morning, it still would only absorb 25 (i'm not certain on the exact number, this is an estimate).
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote