Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default When family inadvertently tempts

Yesterday, hubby's grandmother came over, and visited for a bit. She also broiught a big old pot of her good old spaghetti. To my credit, I had *a* serving, and accounted for all of my calories on my fitday account. We tell her of our intentions to lose weight. Today, she comes over having just come from a doctor's visit. The bad news was, her cholesterol was sky high, as was her glucose level. So, apparently in an attempt to save her from herself, she brought over a huge cake she made yesterday. Red velvet with buttercream icing, home made. Again, I restrain myself. I get the tiniest sliver possible without slicing thin air and have that and immediately write in my calories. I know that she meant to be considerate, but I wished she realized that if she couldn't keep herself from eating it, hubby and I certainly won't be able to handle a delicious cake around without going crazy. It just seems to be the way of it, with my family and with his. We announce our intentions to lose weight, hoping it helps people to understand that we really would rather not have desserts and high calorie food in abundance around, and immediately after, it seems that they're always trying to give us food like this. Does that ever happen to you? Maybe your support can continue to help me keep strong!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I know it sounds awful, but throw it out. OR better yet take it to your work. If your coworkers are anything like mine it will be gone in seconds.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #3  

It's not terrible, and I wholeheartedly agree. We play dungeons and dragons with some friends (nerds, I know! :P ) and I'll call and see if the guys might want to have the rest. Whatever is left, will be in the garbage.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Yes, yes - share it with folks who would enjoy and appreciate it. Or even just enjoy it

Cute avatar! Good luck with your upcoming move, too - do you know to WHERE yet - will you have good public transport in the new location?
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #5  

Well, once hubby gets shipped, I'll be going to AZ with my mum and dad and I will probably try and get my license then. My mom and dad are now training for a full marathon and will exercise with me and they dont' keep sweets around the house. Thank goodness! Once we're through with basic, my mom will help me move my ferrets and some of my things down to Charlston, NC which is where my hubby will most likely be stationed for training. Perhaps I can get my full license at that point
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tell her you will have it later and later you give it away or throw it out. I have actually taken some of this unwanted food and given it to homeless people, They are delighted and the giver never know we gave their food away.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Charleston is gorgeous - you'll enjoy it there! HOT and muggy in the summer, though

Sounds like you have good plans worked out - bonus that you can be active with your folks, too! That's great.

Some cities have such good public transit that you don't even NEED a license until you're driving on a trip ... not mine, however.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/siggy/120

Height: 5' 3"

haha...my six year old took a box of tagalongs today, waved them in front of my face, and said in a sing-song taunting voice 'taaagggaaallooonnggss'. Im 99% sure my dad told her to do this
setsysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #9  

Yes, that's a great idea too, bargoo. Nationalparker, I am so excited to go. I've never been, but I love the Carolinas. ^_^
setsysan, that would be exceptionally tempting. She is a six year old, so at least when she tempts you with things, you know it's just because she's little.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

What branch is he going into? Im working to get down to weight to try to join the air force, but im also considering the army or the navy if the air force wont give me the waivers i need, i have a couple tickets that had fines over $100 and have bad credit and ive heard af doesnt like to give waivers
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel your pain- my hubby's family always wants to eat out and his aunt is forever making cakes for us. As much as I LOVE his grandmother and aunt them moving away is almost a good thing lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatferretfanatic View Post
We play dungeons and dragons with some friends (nerds, I know! :P ) and I'll call and see if the guys might want to have the rest. Whatever is left, will be in the garbage.
I like this idea. If they're anything like the guys my DH played D&D with, they either don't care about their weight or are in desperate need of calories.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote