PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6''

Lightbulb Natural Supplements??

So I've been struggling with any actual weight loss for the last 2 months since starting my lifestyle change. Long story short--I'm trying to explore why I'm not seeing results. I remember a few years back my doc put me on metformin but I couldn't handle it. I was throwing up all day long. Well. I decided to research maybe why I was put on metformin. Which brings me here. Maybe I am insulin resistant or have PCOS. I began looking into natural supplementation as like I said, I couldn't handle the metformin. Just wondering if anyone here has tried cinnamon or chromium picolinate to help with their IR/PCOS? With the little research I did it sounds good...but I want to hear personal experiences.

***Woops....didn't see this was already a sticky.

Last edited by lucyford; 03-11-2011 at 09:36 AM.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I am taking chromium POLYnicolinate (which is the chelated version of the chromium) precisely because I didn't want to take metformin and deal with the side effects.

For me, it's worked GREAT. I get it at Whole Foods (when I can find it) and since I started taking it (with a 1500 calorie diet) I've lost 13 pounds.

That's a lot of weight for me!

Based on the research for effectiveness, the minimum is 800 mcg and that's what I'm taking right now. I don't know if I will increase the amount, because ultimately, I want to increase my insulin sensitivity through diet/exercise.

I'm also low-carbing.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #3  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I take chromium picolinate, cinnamon, fish oil, a prenatal and Calcium with vitamin d in it it seems to manage my symptoms pretty well. I also drink peppermint tea.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #4  

I went ahead and ordered cinnamon and chromium. Though, I got the picolinate because it was before I found out about the poly version. I've been adding 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to my coffee the last couple days until my supps get here. They should arrive Monday. I'm also trying to get more consistent with the fish oil.

SMSDREAMER....how long have you been on that regimen?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #5  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

bout a month. Its been working for me, I started dropping weight like crazy when I started the vitamins. Before I was stalled at a huge plateau. But, That was also the time I started running/walking regularly and dropped refined cards because they do bad things to those of us with IR and PCOS
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #6  

Alright...chromium and cinnamon arrived yesterday. Today is my second day on them, in addition to a multi vitamin and fish oil. I have to say, I really think the cinnamon works to suppress my appetite. I noticed it a bit when I was adding it to the coffee. It's weird, I never really realized just how much food was on my mind until now...that it isn't. I'm really hoping this helps. I'm putting in the work at both the gym and the kitchen, I deserve to see results. I'll haven't lost a pound in over a month so I'm hoping I'll see something by the end of this week. I'll post results when I see them!!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #7  

Just an update that I've lost a pound!! Doesn't sound like much--but when you're working your butt off with no results for two months it IS a lot!! I haven't changed my plan one bit but to add the supplements and after a week they are seemingly working.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #8  

Another quick update for anyone interested. I've been on the chromium and cinnamon for almost two weeks now and I have noticed some BIG changes. First and foremost...I literally have no sugar craving anymore. At all. Again, I have to say I had no idea how much I had been craving it until the cravings are gone. It's actually really refreshing to not have food/sugar on the brain all day. I have to say I don't think it's placebo...I really feel these supplements are working.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

That's great!!!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

Good for you!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #11  

Still on the supplements...and still losing! I went completely off plan last week...it was spring break and my gym was closed so I thought I'd take a break and have some Easter indulgences. I didn't gain anything...miracle in itself. I stopped taking the supplements for 2 days and I don't know if it was that or the not going to the gym but my sugar cravings were back in full force!! It was awful. I don't want to skip them ever again!! I'm hitting the gym hard this week and have already been losing. I only update the ticker once a week though so we'll see by Sunday!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
Still on the supplements...and still losing! I went completely off plan last week...it was spring break and my gym was closed so I thought I'd take a break and have some Easter indulgences. I didn't gain anything...miracle in itself. I stopped taking the supplements for 2 days and I don't know if it was that or the not going to the gym but my sugar cravings were back in full force!! It was awful. I don't want to skip them ever again!! I'm hitting the gym hard this week and have already been losing. I only update the ticker once a week though so we'll see by Sunday!
wow it IS remarkable how it has helped you! Very encouraging! I'm keeping my bottle close by and gonna keep taking it too and see how it goes
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #13  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

thats great! i have a feeling if i did more exercising id be losing more too LOL