Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #1  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

Default For anyone: how bad are those 1 carb "extras"?!

I'm 8 weeks in to my IP journey and I have to admit that I've been using some "extras" in getting by: crystal lite, hansen's diet soda, 1 carb ketchup (usually 2 carbs worth), Trader Joe's Dijon (1 carb), an Italian dressing with 1 carb, etc.

So, curious from those more experienced, how bad are these extras, really?? They haven't really affected my weight loss but I always wonder if I'd be losing faster without. These things truly keep me sane and on track (I've never had a single cheat).

I can take it, so be as honest as you want!
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Unfortunately, I think they all add up and can lead to a slippery slope. But, I do absolutely think you have to make the diet work for you. Otherwise you may quit and that won't do you any good. No one wins a prize for staying entirely on-program, the goal is weight loss. You have to be honest with yourself but realistic modifications can be made and you can still succeed. The only modification I make (I drizzle full fat Ranch sometimes ) has not slowed my weight loss down either, or at least I am willing to live with it. It makes me happy and I am still fully committed to my goal.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

I think i am very sensitive to carbs and they affect me a lot. My big cheat is peanut butter. I love a teaspoon or two of it in my banana pudding. Only a couple of carbs but my weight loss has slowed down dramatically. I may just be at a point in my journey where my weight wants to crawl so is the stalling because of the peanut butter or a coincidence? I don't know. All i know is its not worth it. What i tell myself is: how lame to slow down or stall because of a teaspoon of peanut butter. I could of eaten a cake if i wanted to stop losing weight.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #4  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

I know that for me, they've really added up and made it easier to justify little cheats. I hadn't cheated once until this month, and now I have to kick the habit of a slim jim or extra protein.
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #5  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I am a VERY strong believer that everyone needs to do this diet 100% to the T for at least 3 months....it retrains the brain....gives a person great success...and helps you see the light at the end of the tunnel. With that said...I spent 4 months perfect...2 months perfect when on, but have been on two vacations during that time.

For the last 20 pounds of my journey, I am adding a carb here or there (like yours) so that I can stay motivated to make it to the end. This is not a race...this is a life change. Whatever works to make you stay with this to the end is what everyone should do.

I have helped about 5 people start and be successful with this diet....I told all of them the same thing...no cheats, no bending, no anything for a solid three months and then we can talk about small things to keep them going.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #6  

Wow Tammy, that's great to hear that in words. I was to a T for 3 months also but then I was getting bored, but even mixing in a different product helped me stay on plan. It's when I don't plan is when things go badly.

Yes, those carbs do add up! It may not seem like much, but that's what you tell your self each time, so you might bend more then what you should.
From the beginning I only do the sugar free flavorings for my coffee and limit to 2 coffee's a day. The rest of the day is water or tea. I haven't done too many salads but when I do, WF dressing. I've learned to enjoy the foods not smuthered in dressings, breadings, and sauces. I'm not familiar with that brand of diet soda, but soda is a no no. Carla posted a great thread about soda and the effects of it.
AmyonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

BEWARE..... MINI SOAPBOX ALERT BELOW.

My coach allowed for NO extras for the first 70% of weight that needed to be lost. I was without extras for almost 6 months. It worked for me and I lost about 80 pounds.

I honestly think the longer you can go the better off you are.

That isn't so much an issues these days and I have been told directly by people with IP that I did it not only the hard way but, a way they do not approve of now.

There is a reason that restricted items are now allowed from week one and it is because some people need them.

If you are not using restricted food items but are adding a carb from sugar free ketchup, dijon mustard, flax seed, black soy beans, shirataki noodles or some other element and you are keeping yourself in ketosis (under 30g of carbs a day) you are fine.

Just THINK about it, many people on here are losing using alternate products to do the IP PROTOCOL... THAT IS NOT IP... Sorry folks, it isn't. It uses the principals but, you will never get an exact chemistry and formulation with all the unknown elements of those foods. We know some things are closer in formulation than other but, you get more or less protein, an extra carb, extra fat, extra fiber, extra vitamins, or LESS of all those things when you choose EAS, ATKINS, PREMIER, MATOL, NASHUA, LINDORA, NEW LIFESTYLES, Syntrax, or any other substitute. Even when they come out of the same factory they are not formulated EXACTLY alike.

SO, to make those little adjustments on your own, using product you find convenient... is as fine in my book as saying you are doing IP when what you are doing is an IP PROTOCOL. Which works in all cases if you stay in ketosis, in an unbalanced diet phase, with low calories/low carb/ and low fat.

The diet is designed to rest the pancreas and make it more manageable for you to "stick with it" by being planned the way it is. It does not have to be ridiculously crazy and if you ever compare Dr Tran's original diet in his book/website to IP you will see he is even more liberal and his people still lose.

If what you are doing is working, you are losing, you aren't having cravings, and you feel like you aren't fatigued then you are doing what is good for you. Let that be your guide. More or less, we are all unique and our bodies are our little labs.

I have tasted and sampled many of the alternate products. They work fine for me and for maintenance I will incorporate them in and, for anyone who wants to do this on a smaller budget they are a great alternate option. I will not slam anyone for doing an alternate plan and I won't ask but, I won't fuss over 5 or 7 odd carbs coming from other reasonable sources either.

Sorry, off my soapbox. That is my little opinion.

ALSO, I don't know exactly where it got going, and I do know I have shared it, but, when I got my literature and started this diet NO WHERE did it say stay under 30g of carbs a day. I was told eat on the program and you are fine. I learned that little carb value thing HERE. And, yes, some coaches go by it. The truth is, some people are in ketosis at 60g of carbs a day and some at 20g a day. The lower you are to start the better the "induction" to borrow an Atkins phrase. It is not necessary to stay at that level indefinitely if your body is able to be in ketosis at a higher level. So, even that concept we readily attach ourselves to is very narrow and limiting and, in some person's case incorrect. Trust your body to let you know if you are in ketosis, it is apparent, you will lose well and lose inches too. Trust the diet and FOLLOW it.. The guess work is taken out of it if you do.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 03-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #8  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Of the 5 people I helped...2 see the doctor....3 don't....every one is doing very well.....but I agree the nutrition is just not the same (except the restricted is exactly the same on Lindora...bars are in same packaging with same numbers as clinic)

I went to my doctor and used just IP from beginning (Sept) until the middle of January...when things went "off-track". I want to go back, but my hubby is not really for it....he did not like the way I felt going to the weigh-ins...very production line.

Also it is tough to part with $100ish a week when it only cost me less than $25 a week. I never would have thought I would be a person to use alternatives, but here I am.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #9  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes I sneak some feta cheese onto a salad, and I have used kraft fat free italian dressing from the beginning... there is 1 carb per serving. The way I look at it is that I am allowed one restricted item a day, which has 15+ grams of carbs, but I only have 0-3 restricted items a week, so I figure it balances out. And non restricted packs vary in carbs as well.

I was checking out the alternate plan yesterday just to maybe switch things up for a while, and if you can still eat 2 pieces of toast, fruit and a dairy and stay in ketosis on that plan, I'm sure 1gram here and there shouldn't affect us too much.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Of the 5 people I helped...2 see the doctor....3 don't....every one is doing very well.....but I agree the nutrition is just not the same (except the restricted is exactly the same on Lindora...bars are in same packaging with same numbers as clinic)

Also it is tough to part with $100ish a week when it only cost me less than $25 a week. I never would have thought I would be a person to use alternatives, but here I am.
As I said, alternates have a place. I will be supportive of anyone who is taking control of their diet and having success and the IP PROTOCOL is AMAZING. It works! The key is making it work for your body so, if someone can do that with just a few extra carbs a day and is not using restricted items as freely as IP now allows, then I have no problem telling them it is "ok, to me". Splenda is an allowed IP item as are the torani syrups but, people go heavy with those and suddenly they have added 5 carbs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Sometimes I sneak some feta cheese onto a salad, and I have used kraft fat free italian dressing from the beginning... there is 1 carb per serving. The way I look at it is that I am allowed one restricted item a day, which has 15+ grams of carbs, but I only have 0-3 restricted items a week, so I figure it balances out. And non restricted packs vary in carbs as well.

I was checking out the alternate plan yesterday just to maybe switch things up for a while, and if you can still eat 2 pieces of toast, fruit and a dairy and stay in ketosis on that plan, I'm sure 1gram here and there shouldn't affect us too much.

Several coaches has said they are ok with a client using 1 ounces of low carb cheese (low fat too if possible) instead of 1 ounces skim milk. I don't think you are creating a problem if you manage it to a couple times a week. That little bit of fat shouldn't be a big problem.

Susie,

DO NOT do the alternate plan if you want to be sure you are in ketosis. YOU WILL NOT BE.

The alternate plan is used for diabetics who can not regulate ketone over production.

It is also used for severe caraboholics to wean them off carbs.

If you were to do it you will add between 6 and 30 fruit carbs, 20 to 40 bread carbs, and 5 to 21 milk carbs per day. At best your add ins will give you and extra 31 carbs a day on top of the 25 to 30 you normally get. It is very easy to go over and out of ketosis.

I tried it and let me tell you, other than being low carb, lower calorie (which kept me losing) it was harder. I got all my cravings back.

So, if you want to be in ketosis for sure, don't go to the alternate phase 1.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote