Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/174/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Question about elliptical machine

I tried an elliptical at the gym today. I have never been on one before and I enjoyed it so much more than either the treadmill or bike. I have a question about the calories burned and the HRM on the machine. The HRM said my heart rate was 165-169 most of the time. Is the HRM that comes on the handle grips of the Precor type elliptical accurate? How many calories would a person burn at that heart rate for an hour?

You know, I am so much hungrier since I have been excising, I wonder if I'm not shooting myself in the foot here. Before exercise I wasn't super hungry or tired on about 1500 calories a day. Now I am ravenous most of the day, and have been regularly going over that. I have been doing about an hour of cardio a day. Does anybody else get super hungry when they are exercising?
precieuseamande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't know how accurate those things are- I bought a polar F11 heart rate monitor and it's great- I bought mine used on ebay and LOVE IT

You know if you are that hungry you should make sure you are eating enough protein and fiber to keep you full and going longer, so instead of something like a turkey sandwich eat a huge turkey salad Or a plate of pasta with chicken sub half pasta for half veggies like zucchini or squash It'll help keep you fuller and give your body more nutrients you need while working out so much
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I just go by my own HRM. One time I forgot and I know the elliptical HRM is not quite as right.

I just started too and I'm experiencing the hunger thing but from past experience I know it will eventually calm down. It's the starting a new regime thing.

Hang in there!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote