Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/292/180

Height: 5'7

Default Severe Depression

Hi everyone! I just joined here and boy am I happy to see this forum. Depression is a huge part of all my problems. I am currently on lexapro for my depression and it seems to help to a point.. well to the point where I don't sit and cry every day like I used to but I am still down all the time. Its so hard to exercise and think about eating right when I am just tired and sad all the time. I try to stay positive. I have a gorgeous little girl who lights up my life but it gets to where I have to force myself to do everything I do in a day. I don't have any support around here. My husband is a truck driver so hes never home, money is always tight, and I hate the way I look, I hate that my health is so bad and I have no self control to do anything about it. It would really be nice to find anyone who can relate with me. Just to know I'm not all alone!
Tamlynne31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #2  

Hello Tamlynne

I can relate to you very much. I also suffer with severe clinical depression, OCD, Anxiety, Socialphobia and a few physical health problems. I leave the house about six times a year and have to have a family member with me. You are not alone Tamlynne!! I know that you must feel despair sometimes but you have a beautiful little girl She must bring you through some rough times. I never really wanted children myself but i do have 2 nephews and a niece and they are wonderful. A visit from them does cheer me up. My tablets also keep me from going over the edge, i'm on Tegretol and Amitriptyline and they take the edge off. It is very hard to diet and have tried many many times but this time is different. I'm doing it for my health! I know that eventually one day if i carry on the way i am i am going to reach 400 pounds, then it will be 450 and then 500 and then one day i will wake up and i will find i can hardly get out of bed physically. That is my motivation this time around. I want to be able to move around the house more easily, not dread summer coming up for fear of the way it will affect me. All these things are my motivation. You have to find yours Tamlynne and i am sure you have got one, maybe your little girl. I'm on a calorie controlled diet, i'm doing it on my own though, no clubs. I find it better my own way. I have 1500 calories a day. I started Tuesday 1st March, and i keep a diary of daily menus. I find this helps me so much to keep a track of my calories and it gives me something to do, like a hobby in a way lol. I know you have it inside yourself Tamlynne!! You just need to sit down and have a good talk with yourself, what do you want? Ask yourself why you want to be slim, Are you worried about your health? Do you want to wear nicer clothes? Do you want to be fit? etc etc etc. Find your motivation and don't let go of it!! Write it down and keep looking at it everyday. You can do this! So sorry i have nearly written a book lol. But you are NOT alone!! There are many people in our postition we just need to know that we are not alone and that we can succeed, there is something inside us all that just needs a push start or a trigger to start us off.

God bless Tamlynne
Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything and most of all good luck on your journey. I know you are going to do it!

Hugs Sammy x x x

Last edited by RainyBear; 03-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
RainyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Hi Tamlynne *Hugs*

I know exactly how you feel.. For me it started when I had my second child and I began to suffer from severe Post Partum Depression which I wasn't treated for until after I had my third child. I was so embarrassed and didn't want to admit to myself that I needed to be on medication to help get my depression under control. After I started having intrusive thoughts I knew something was seriously wrong and went to the doctor and was put on a combination of meds that saved my life.

After a year I decided that I felt well enough to try and deal with life on my own so I got off everything I was taking. For 4 years I was doing great up until now.. The depression and anxiety attacks started again and I think it's due to being overwhelmed with school, taking care of 3 kids, the house, bills, etc. I was put back on Zoloft and am patiently waiting for it to work.

I wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I know depression sucks but losing weight is possible! I have lost 100lbs in 13 months! Exercise, I found really helps my depression because it makes me feel awesome afterward and for the rest of the day. You CAN do this and if you ever need anyone to talk to please don't hesitate to message me =D
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Kim I am impressed that you were able to lose 100 lbs in 13 months but on anti-depression meds? Did you find that they were hindering your weight at all? I go in and out of depression and that is one reason why I just haven't pursued medication. I recall it being hard to lose weight but your "story" is to the contrary.

Tammy and Rainy my heart goes out to you. Being at home unfortunately exasperates your depression. I used to have a lot of social anxiety and ironically the best way to deal with that is to get out. Try small steps. It might be to a park where there is more space and you feel like you can breathe. I took a risk two years ago and joined a Friday night Bible study. The first year was hard and my attendance was hit and miss. I still have a hard time pushing myself some times but it is getting easier.

Find one outfit that makes you feel good about yourself and wear that to death. Just make sure that it is comfortable, reasonably attractive and you can wear different places. I have been unemployed for 18 months and money has been extremely tight. I bought some really super cheap but nice clothes on Walmart.com in the Plus size Women clothes. Right now, you can get $5 tops and they have 97C shipping if you don't want to go out or free shipping from site to store. If you have a little more money to spend, WomanWithin.com has cute ts for under $10 and lots of cute sweats under $12 in colors galore.

There are a lot of exercise shows on tv you can exercise to. If you have a dvr or vhs player you can go to the public library and check out some workout videos as well. Don't let not having money and being home stop you from trying.

We are here for you any time of the day or night. Reach out. This is a great support site.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

I had a severe post partum depression along with suicidal behavior after the birth of my twins. It was hard and I ended up seeking help 8 months into it as I felt out of contol, I also had anxiety and panic attacks. I still deal with anxiety and sometimes feel that I am relapsing into my depression. This days I force myself to get out of the house. It helps. I also don't have much support with my mother died from cancer and my family fell apart and my husband works long hours so I feel like a lonely boat sailing in a big ocean at times. I don't have advice as after 15 months of it "clouds opened the view to the sun" somehow and even the antidepressants could not do it for me. Sometimes it's the therapy and good self help books that help a lot and help to re-wire your thinking. Hang in there and try to find some inspirational book.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #6  

Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually sitting here crying just knowing that others are pushing through this! My daughter is definitely what pushes me though. There are so many days I don't even want to get out of bed but I do it for her. I hate leaving the house cause I feel I am always being looked at and judged but I am trying to get through it cause she needs to get out and have friends. I take her to dance class and I actually made a friend there. It kinda sucks though cause I worry all the time about what I say and if she thinks its stupid or if I am too pushy or anything. I just want to be myself for once without worrying.

I started using the blog here and started posting what I eat during the day and posting my recipes.. I have no readers yet but it makes it feel like theres even more of a purpose to this.. like sharing my recipes and all might encourage someone else or someone will see I am just like them and maybe I will make some more friends.

I know its gonna be a long road but I need to make it this time! I can't fail again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyBear View Post
Hello Tamlynne

I can relate to you very much. I also suffer with severe clinical depression, OCD, Anxiety, Socialphobia and a few physical health problems. I leave the house about six times a year and have to have a family member with me. You are not alone Tamlynne!! I know that you must feel despair sometimes but you have a beautiful little girl She must bring you through some rough times. I never really wanted children myself but i do have 2 nephews and a niece and they are wonderful. A visit from them does cheer me up. My tablets also keep me from going over the edge, i'm on Tegretol and Amitriptyline and they take the edge off. It is very hard to diet and have tried many many times but this time is different. I'm doing it for my health! I know that eventually one day if i carry on the way i am i am going to reach 400 pounds, then it will be 450 and then 500 and then one day i will wake up and i will find i can hardly get out of bed physically. That is my motivation this time around. I want to be able to move around the house more easily, not dread summer coming up for fear of the way it will affect me. All these things are my motivation. You have to find yours Tamlynne and i am sure you have got one, maybe your little girl. I'm on a calorie controlled diet, i'm doing it on my own though, no clubs. I find it better my own way. I have 1500 calories a day. I started Tuesday 1st March, and i keep a diary of daily menus. I find this helps me so much to keep a track of my calories and it gives me something to do, like a hobby in a way lol. I know you have it inside yourself Tamlynne!! You just need to sit down and have a good talk with yourself, what do you want? Ask yourself why you want to be slim, Are you worried about your health? Do you want to wear nicer clothes? Do you want to be fit? etc etc etc. Find your motivation and don't let go of it!! Write it down and keep looking at it everyday. You can do this! So sorry i have nearly written a book lol. But you are NOT alone!! There are many people in our postition we just need to know that we are not alone and that we can succeed, there is something inside us all that just needs a push start or a trigger to start us off.

God bless Tamlynne
Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything and most of all good luck on your journey. I know you are going to do it!

Hugs Sammy x x x
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #7  

I have had depression since I was about 16 and when I had my daughter I had horrible PPD. I didn't want to hurt my daughter in anyway but I just want to cry all day and I worried sooo much over everything. My doc put me on zoloft and it worked great but after 2 years of it it was doing nothing. I tried a couple other pills and then got on Lexapro. Its not perfect but it keeps me from sitting around crying all day over everything.

It amazes me to hear people losing 100 lbs cause it feels like just a dream for me. It feels like I will always be this weight.. to lose 100 lbs.. OMG I would be in heaven! I might be able to get off all these meds I take and maybe my back pain would be better. I need to do it.. I just HAVE to

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
Hi Tamlynne *Hugs*

I know exactly how you feel.. For me it started when I had my second child and I began to suffer from severe Post Partum Depression which I wasn't treated for until after I had my third child. I was so embarrassed and didn't want to admit to myself that I needed to be on medication to help get my depression under control. After I started having intrusive thoughts I knew something was seriously wrong and went to the doctor and was put on a combination of meds that saved my life.

After a year I decided that I felt well enough to try and deal with life on my own so I got off everything I was taking. For 4 years I was doing great up until now.. The depression and anxiety attacks started again and I think it's due to being overwhelmed with school, taking care of 3 kids, the house, bills, etc. I was put back on Zoloft and am patiently waiting for it to work.

I wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I know depression sucks but losing weight is possible! I have lost 100lbs in 13 months! Exercise, I found really helps my depression because it makes me feel awesome afterward and for the rest of the day. You CAN do this and if you ever need anyone to talk to please don't hesitate to message me =D
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #8  

I LOVE Woman Within!! LOL thats where I buy all my clothes. I hate clothes shopping. I can't find anything in the stores that fit me, the shirts are too short or the necks are too low. I hate feeling my double chin touch my skin so I need shirts with necks that are close.. crew necks they are or something like that. They have such pretty tops with low necks and I wish I could wear them but I am so self conscious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
Kim I am impressed that you were able to lose 100 lbs in 13 months but on anti-depression meds? Did you find that they were hindering your weight at all? I go in and out of depression and that is one reason why I just haven't pursued medication. I recall it being hard to lose weight but your "story" is to the contrary.

Tammy and Rainy my heart goes out to you. Being at home unfortunately exasperates your depression. I used to have a lot of social anxiety and ironically the best way to deal with that is to get out. Try small steps. It might be to a park where there is more space and you feel like you can breathe. I took a risk two years ago and joined a Friday night Bible study. The first year was hard and my attendance was hit and miss. I still have a hard time pushing myself some times but it is getting easier.

Find one outfit that makes you feel good about yourself and wear that to death. Just make sure that it is comfortable, reasonably attractive and you can wear different places. I have been unemployed for 18 months and money has been extremely tight. I bought some really super cheap but nice clothes on Walmart.com in the Plus size Women clothes. Right now, you can get $5 tops and they have 97C shipping if you don't want to go out or free shipping from site to store. If you have a little more money to spend, WomanWithin.com has cute ts for under $10 and lots of cute sweats under $12 in colors galore.

There are a lot of exercise shows on tv you can exercise to. If you have a dvr or vhs player you can go to the public library and check out some workout videos as well. Don't let not having money and being home stop you from trying.

We are here for you any time of the day or night. Reach out. This is a great support site.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #9  

I am so sorry to hear how hard it has been for you. I can relate. I hate trying all these meds and nothing helps. the one I am on now doesn't fully help but it keeps me from crying all the time.

This might be a stupid question but when you go out where do you go? Sometimes I get more depressed going out.. I want to go shopping but have no money to, I have so much back pain that its hard to walk anywhere, I have no friends close by and gas prices are so high. Ugh its making my stomach hurt thinking about it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateryna View Post
I had a severe post partum depression along with suicidal behavior after the birth of my twins. It was hard and I ended up seeking help 8 months into it as I felt out of contol, I also had anxiety and panic attacks. I still deal with anxiety and sometimes feel that I am relapsing into my depression. This days I force myself to get out of the house. It helps. I also don't have much support with my mother died from cancer and my family fell apart and my husband works long hours so I feel like a lonely boat sailing in a big ocean at times. I don't have advice as after 15 months of it "clouds opened the view to the sun" somehow and even the antidepressants could not do it for me. Sometimes it's the therapy and good self help books that help a lot and help to re-wire your thinking. Hang in there and try to find some inspirational book.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #10  

Thank you Pamatga for your kind words

Hi Tamlynne your more than welcome for the reply. I am going to read your blog aswell, we will do it. Just keep thinking that
RainyBear is offline   Reply With Quote