Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #1  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Exclamation She called me a "clown". Nice.

There are times when you just can’t win – mentally speaking.

For the past year I have been in a size 16 or 18 depending on type (skirt vs. pants). Since the beginning of this year, I have lost 25+ pounds. Yay me! And now I am in the size 12/14 range. I have quite a few 12 skirts I reintroduced into my wardrobe and only a few pair of 14 pants. Unfortunately my weight has not come off proportionately. I lost back fat, stomach, waist and lower legs but my hips and thighs have not shrunk as much. If they had, I’d probably be wearing size 12 pants. So my issue is my pants are swimming in the butt and legs. I can easily cover up the waist issue. Well, yesterday I was sitting at the desk of a fellow coworker (and friend) and when I got up she looked at my pants and said, “You look like a clown”. I laughed and said, “Yeah, I know!”. I immediately felt self-conscience but not to the point where what she said bothered me too much. I had a “it is what it is” attitude. But after a while it started to really piss me off! She is dieting too and has been successful. So shouldn’t she understand how insensitive that comment was? It was bad enough I was insecure when I was wearing my 16/18’s but now I’m feeling insecure all over again!

I can’t go lower than a 14 pant right now because my hips and thighs aren’t small enough yet and the clothes would be tight in those areas. I am literally stuck between sizes! And even if I wanted to go out and buy new (or almost new) clothes, I can’t. I live alone, single income, have a mortgage, car payment, insurance, etc. And I just recently spent a LOT of money trying to get my kitty well – but unfortunately I had to put him to sleep last week. The finances aren’t really the point. It’s just the freaking comment I can’t get past.

*sigh*

I guess I’ll be wearing skirts till I drop at least another 10 pounds which will hopefully put me in a comfortable 12 pant.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 03-03-2011 at 09:29 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #2  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I have a similar body type, all of my weight is in my hips. My thighs have shrunk but my hips are still HUGE and my pants look like I have a droopy tush. When I was 155 I still wore a size 12 pant which is what I'm wearing now.

The comment is way out of line but maybe she thought she was being nice by mentioning that you were losing weight? Sometimes people don't realize that their comments can be double ended.

What ever the case, I hope you don't let it get to you too much. You're doing a great job!
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Well, I'm sure she didn't mean for it to bother you so much. Some people just need to think before they spew forth words.

In the meantime, if you are self/conscious about your in-between size, can you go find a few inexpensive skirts or something looser and flowing to wear while you are re-inventing your shape? Maybe some (and I hate to use this word, but I will) stretch pants? Lots of companies make pants with some give to them. Hope this helps.

Congrats on your loss and continued success to you!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

She wasn't tactful. I think you did fine laughing it off. Don't dwell on it.

But ill fitting pants are ill fitting pants. Even YOU already know that the pants are not fitting right and it is noticeable. You don't have to wait til someone else brings it up.

Change to skirts/dresses and find a tailor to take up the pants how you need.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

It's possible what she was trying to say is - you've lost so much weight, your clothes are huge on you. If it didn't feel like an insult till you had time to sit and dwell on it, it probably wasn't. It may have been a bit ham-fisted, but it doesn't sound mean spirited.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Are there any consignment shops around? You might be able to buy at reduced prices or maybe trade a few things with them.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #7  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I feel you on this, it seems Im always between sizes. I actually had a friend of mine - with good intentions I know - give me gift certificates for christmas because "You need new clothes, yours are too big and it looks kind of sloppy" I know he didn't mean it in a rude way, but it still bothered me for quite some time.
Hugs to you!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I agree with NiteNicole. Is she the type to make that kind of back door compliment? I wish someone would (could) tell me my pants looked like clown pants!
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

About 2 years ago I made it a very strict point to NEVER mention ANYONE'S weight/issues/loss (in Real life) again. I don't care if a person has lost or gained 100+ pounds. I will not say a word. I used to comment all the time...say things like, "keep up the good work" or "you are doing great". Stuff like that. I did it because I liked to hear it myself when I was attempting weight loss. After being a member here and seeing the countless threads started about comments either good, bad, indifferent, weird, aloof or just plain catty, I made a vow to keep my mouth shut! Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No matter what a person says or does, it's not going to sound right to everyone.

My point is, your friend probably was trying to be funny, and it it came out sounding rude to you. Granted, some people TRY to hand out double edge comments, but most people are like me....just not so great with words.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think she meant to be rude, still it was a thougtless comment. Congratulations on losing 25 pounds !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #11  

A tailor can take in those legs for a few dollars.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 380/see ticker/194

Height: 6'2"

Sorry her comment offended you! I'm sure she didn't mean to be mean but she shouldn't have said that.

A tailor should be able to help you with the pants for just a little $. Good luck!
southernbelle102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #13  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

That's rude of her. Since you are self-conscious, I would suggest that you take your pants to get altered. Believe me, dressmakers and tailors can work magic. Just find a few that you love, or that you wear often and get them adjusted. It will do wonders for your confidence.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Shop around different brands or look into maybe some skinny leg jeans- that may help

I'm sure she didn't mean to offend- honestly she probably thought she was making you feel better like "OMG girl those those pants are big for you- you know- cuz clowns wear big pants with suspenders?

Like this: http://cdn.costumesupercenter.com/cs...432/7164RI.jpg
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

The comment was meant to be an acknowledgement of your progress not an insult. I have the 'clown pants syndrome' because my big pooch belly keeps me in a larger size than is flattering to my legs. Can you say "Hammer Time"!!?

Since money is tight, do you sew or have a sewing machine or a friend with a sewing machine? It would take maybe 5 minutes to straight stitch a tighter outer seam (not crotch area) on both legs of a pair of pants or 1/2 hour if by hand. But beware, kitty will want to lay on the pants while you sew!!!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote