Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Default Antidepressants

Hi Everyone

Just curious if anyone is taking anything for depression/anxiety and have you had issues with gaining? My doctor put me on Zoloft today and I'm worried I will gain. I went to a forum where people were talking about gaining 35lbs after starting this particular medication.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I had something horrible happen to me at work in February and I've been off for about 2 weeks. The NP put me on Xanax which is something she doesn't like to prescribe because of the addiction factor but it's been working for my anxiety.

I've heard of people gaining with the traditional SSRIs (Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil). I've heard of people losing with Wellbutrin and Celexa. I've also heard of people gaining lots and lots of weight with birth control. I think it comes down to your habits. The true side effect to the medications is not weight gain but a slight increased appetite and as long as you stick to your WW plan I wouldn't think you would be at risk for excessive weight gain.

And if you do gain a little weight, and it's not related to a change in habits and you attribute it to the medication, go back to your doc and discuss it. You weigh yourself so often and are so in tune with your body it's not like you could gain 35 lbs and not notice it happening.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #3  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
I think it comes down to your habits. The true side effect to the medications is not weight gain but a slight increased appetite and as long as you stick to your WW plan I wouldn't think you would be at risk for excessive weight gain.

This. Medication itself doesn't make you gain weight (Unless it causes water retention) It messes with your hunger levels. If you go into it aware that those things could happen...you'll be fine.

Stop stressing out so much. Worrying about if the meds are going to make you gain weight isn't good. You're on them for anxiety...don't cause any extra anxiety.

Maybe it's time to take a break from "weight loss mode" and just concentrate on being healthy, following the program and getting all of your guidelines in. Stop weighing yourself daily for a bit...and only do it at the meetings. That may make a difference for you.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

I gained 40 pounds on Paxil. I woke up one night, eating a sandwich, in a chair in front of my fridge. I don't know how much of my overall weight gain was food and how much of it was a metabolic change, but I know it was humanly impossible to have gained 40 pounds in 3 months based on what I was eating. But I did a lot of self medicating with food. I had a doctor tell me once that they put some people on Paxil to lose weight. But that's been 10 years.

I was also on Zoloft after a nasty divorce, and I know I gained a few pounds, but nothing major. Again, I had food contributing to the equation - lots of fast food and restaurant food until I got settled again, and of course some comfort food! Personally, the small gain on Zoloft was far outweighed by the improvement in the quality of my life! I don't take anything now, but wouldn't be afraid to start Zoloft again.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #5  

Hi Kim,
When my father was listed for a lung transplant my MD put me on Wellbutrin, as part of my depression is weight gain, i did ALOT of research on my own and found that was the best choice for me. I had been on Prozac years ago and gained.

Years later, i'm still on the Wellbutrin but as my father got sicker, i had anxiety so i added Ativan (as needed). Celexa was added as that doesn't promote weight gain but had a reaction. SO finally i'm on a great combo of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta (both of which suppress hunger) and it's working fantastically. Even after losing my dad at Xmas, i was able to stick with the program and work without too much emotion.

I will say, as i've been on this a while, i think alot of people blame antidepressants for weight gain (which i don't disagree it does contribute) but i also think that once people are starting to feel better they are more apt to eat more which is another reason for the weight gain. Which isn't a bad thing, it's like taking your life back but for me, weight gain wasn't an option lol!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Thanks so much for your replies!

I'm going to stay on track and not worry about gaining weight because as long as I track daily and exercise I should be fine. I need to get healthy mentally right now because if I don't I'm going to fail at everything I'm trying to achieve.

I took my first dose of Zoloft last night and today I have absolutely no apetite and feel a bit nauseated. I warmed up a Lean Cuisine because I didn't feel like cooking and am trying to eat the whole thing but it's hard. Hopefully this feeling goes away soon.
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #7  
Nine years to go!

S/C/G: 270/256/140

Height: 5'2

I've been on Celexa for almost a year now. I DID regain the 30 pounds that I lost, but I do not in any way think the medication had anything to do with it. Now that I am on WW, I think the Celexa is actually helping me because I am not stress-eating.
Ten Years is offline   Reply With Quote