Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Default Can anyone become thin??? I have questions lol...

Hi, I know this is a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway.
I have always been just overweight my entire life. The chunky one out of me and my 2 sisters. Never ever once have I been considered thin. And I have been conscious about eating somewhat healthy (not completely, but much more than my sisters) ...So I was wondering, for people like me, am I always going to be "big boned" or can I actually become thin?? I see it in a lot of people's before and after pictures here, but I was never sure if they used to be thin.
I think it's just because I've never seen it before in myself. I started really watching what I ate and exercising for my new years resolution this year, and yes I dropped 10 pounds! But I've been this weight before, 147, and I've been 6 pounds less years ago... but NEVER any less than that since about 11th grade.

Does anyone have a similar story that can relate to me and HAVE become thin?? Or maybe just know the answer to my question lol. I feel like it's a weightloss for dummies thread, oh well.

Will I ever be able to wear a bikini lol??

Ps. I added a picture further down towards the bottom of the first page here.

Last edited by Kristen81985; 02-28-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: update
Kristen81985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was thin when I was young but didn't know it. I thought I was big boned. I do have an unusually large rib cage probably to support my unusually large chest. As an adult, I've come to realize it's ok to be a 2/4 on the bottom and an 8/10 on top. It's just the way I'm made. I didn't like that so much as a teenager and young adult.

Some of it is bone structure. But many of us have done the "who knew" thing as we've gotten smaller and realized we are capable of being smaller than we ever thought possible. My mom always told me I was big boned. No, I wear a size 4.25 ring and a AAAA narrow shoe. I am not big boned. I was fat. There's a difference.

Try weight lifting. You could drop sizes without losing any weight at all, and it's a fantastic way to transform your shape. I highly recommend it.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i think you could. it sounds like you are comparing your body (a different body type) to your sisters'. i'm a mesomorph-muscular body type. i'll just never be a long and lean model/ballerina type of person. perhaps all you need to do is increase your muscle, and lower your carbs and or fat in your diet.

just to throw another perspective out there...many of us me included would be tickled pink to be 156. i think i haven't weighed that since my sophmore yr in high school. and i'm almost 30.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Everyone can lose weight. Not everyone can look like a swim suit model.

So depending on how you define "thin" the answer is yes, or no.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

not everyone can end up looking like a ballerina or a model so if you mean long and very lean as skinny then no it's not possible for everyone to get that way.

it all depends on genetics, your bone structure, your somatype, your body type, etc.

i for example am a big boned banana shaped (i was hourglass shaped to begin with but that has changed) mesomorphic body type which means i put on muscle fast but that i can also put on fat quite easily if i'm not careful. my waist will never be "tiny", i will probably never look like a bean pole and the more i lose weight the more muscular i start to appear. oh well.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Count me as one who was NEVER thin. In fact, I was obese most of my life. I started losing weight (and keeping it off, which is the big part) last year and am now 125.

I was very much in your shoes not that long ago. I had convinced myself that some people were naturally thin and I was never meant to be one of them. I decided it was my destiny to be fat. Happily, I changed my mindset.

It is possible. I'm not the only one here on 3FC who lost weight they carried around their entire life. I hope some of the others chime in.

However, I have to say, after 32 years of being obese, I will never be a bikini wearer, but that's OK! I wasn't really looking for that, so I'm not disappointed. I still look the best I've ever looked in my life, so who cares?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #7  

Looking at your picture I don't see a big boned person. Anyone who has the determination can lose weight. Being thin is not the goal, being healthy at a healthy BMI is.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm just gonna echo what other people have already said: Anyone can lose weight, but not everyone can look like a swimsuit model or a ballerina. Also, anyone can wear a bikini if they want to.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - I have to agree that everyone can lose weight (barring some extreme and rare medical situations), but not everyone can look like a ballerina.

I will never look like a ballerina. Though I did eventually reach a "healthy" BMI, I had to use unsustainable behaviors to get there, and eventually settled on a somewhat higher weight and a healthy lifestyle instead. I use words like "fit", "athletic" and "healthy" to describe my body now, but I'm not "thin" by any definition.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

I was a chubby/fat kid. A super slim teen and young adult(20-22). And now a chunky woman in her mid20s. LOL I have found that w/ my body.. its capable of either.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #11  

ok i've never tried uploading a picture before, i hope I did it. But anyway, I know its clothed (thankfully, lol), but this is my body now. I have the whole muffin top thing going on and back rolls around the waist and the back of the arm thing. This is how my body has been my whole life.
I don't want to be a bikini model by any means lol. (But if i was i wouldn't mind lol.) And I don't know my body type either. Apple? But I have a big butt. I'm just wondering if theres any hope here I guess.
Hopefully this picture helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (24.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

I never thought I would go from an x-large shirt to a medium, but I did. I always thought my torso was too big for that. I remember being a size 8 pants size but I also remember looking bony. I will never be a size 0,2,4 and so on and it baffles my mind how people are. I guess we just have to lose the weight and discover our new body's but you may surprise yourself and actually like what you find.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #13  

very very true! I guess I'm just going to see whats hiding under there. Lol. Thanks everyone so much!! This is what I needed.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/125

Height: 5'6"

Kirsten you are beautiful, looks like you have a perfect hour glass shape. you just need to tone up.... Keep eating as clean as you can...but instead of rewarding yourself with the belly dancing class start it now if it is something you love you will be more likely to stick with it... and it won't seem like a chore.

Remember muscle burns calories !!!

Keep it up !!! consistency counts !!!
Izzadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

wow you look really pretty i don't know who told you you were fat. you have a great figure and it be a shame to ruin it. maybe you should think of just trying to tone things up first?
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote