Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Uh-oh, surprise visit from my family! Any suggestions on how not to fall apart?

These days, I tend to eat pretty well most of the time. I feel good about my meal planning and preparation routines. I have found people at work who have healthy eating habits, and I tend to eat lunch with them (rather than the crowd that goes out for fast food). I can manage pretty well when I go out to dinner with friends, at least most of the time.

But, when I am around my family, I totally fall apart. They are all heavy, and basically all major family events center heavily around food. I am learning how to plan for that and prepare for my time with them, making tons of mistakes and backslides along the way... For me, this is by far the hardest part of losing weight.

SO, some of my family from out of town just called and said that they are coming for a surprise weekend visit. When they were listing what they wanted to do while they were here was totally food focused. I really want to stay on track, but I haven't had any time to prepare! Feeling a bit panicky!

Any suggestions on how to make good choices? I have no time to plan and I will be surrounded by binge triggers!!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

maybe you could go on a walk with a buddy after the meal?

stick to drinking water and fairly healthy stuff. if you can. just do the best you can. try not to beat yourself up.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #3  
Happy Member

I agree with Katy, just do the best you can. Life happens, we just have to deal with it the best we can. Then get back on track as quick as possible.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #4  

Thanks! The suggestion to get back on track asap is great. Part of the problem is that I feels so guilty and frustrated that it takes me a while to get back on track when I leave them. It feels like I have "blown it again" and have to start over. I know that this is irrational, but it's how I feel at the moment.

Plus, there is still a part of me that really likes overeating on unhealthy foods. When I build momentum for better eating habits, I am not tempted too much by old ways. But, whenever I act like my old self, it is hard for me to slip back into my newer self.

I just feel so out of control with food when I am with my family!!

But, yes, I just have to do the best I can... and try to not lose momentum.

And drink water!

Ugh!

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

This will be a great opportunity to try out some new healthy recipes for your family. And everyone will save money because you wont have to go out to eat. This website is full of delicous, healthy recipes. You don't even have to tell them it's lo-cal because they wont be able to tell a difference:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

According to your tracker, you have lost enough weight to where they obviously know you are trying to lose weight, so I'm assuming it's not some secret.

My recommendation is NOT to make any big deal of it, and just try to do simple portion control and wiser choices when you go out. Almost any restaurant has a soup and salad option, or order a kid's meal.

What I typically do is eat a protein bar before I arrive (so I'm not famished) that I order a side salad and french fries, or something like that, when I arrive. French fries are a favorite treat food, so I feel like I've splurged without overdoing it.

Don't spend all weekend talking to them about you diet, or how you really need to do this or that, that is pointless and just adds stress to you and them for no reason.

Realistically, even in these types of families (and I have one, so I know) that most you are going to have to deal with is about 4 'big' meals. That's really simple. It's just a matter of being honest with yourself, and no using 'well, they were visiting' as an excuse.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #7  

Thanks All!

Katydid, your advice was really helpful... I especially appreciate your reminder that it doesn't have to be a big deal and that I should not use it as an excuse.

I think that I did pretty well overall... I totally overdid it at one meal, but the other 3 meals were great. So, it didn't end up being too terrible after all... I convinced my family to go for a walk this morning before breakfast as well!

Thank you again!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #8  

This website looks great! Thanks for the referral!