Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #1  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

S/C/G: 230/194/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Exercising While on IP

I know there is already an Exercise thread, but it seemed to focus on sharing one's exercise routines. I was hoping this thread will encompass more, especially answering Exercising questions, like mine.

I have been getting a mixed bag of comments regarding exercising while on IP (not necessarily here on 3FC). So here are my questions for those that know more (or have very knowledgeable coaches, because we all know that they are not created equal )

1. I've heard don't get your heart rate up. But if I'm exercising, I want to get a quick heart rate increase without burning too much because the idea is to strengthen my heart, right? Or is it not?

2. If I am just doing light exercises to burn, why do I need to do that when I'm already on a very low calorie diet? I'm really confused.

3. How about lifting weights?

4. Plain and simple, what are the do's and dont's of exercise while on IP?

I really want to get back to working out but have no clue what I can and cannot do. I've just been walking the stairs at work, and push, pull, chin, and sit-ups at home, which I feel are not enough.

Please share your insights and knowledge regarding exercising while on IP.

230to170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #2  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

230to170- First of all... and congrats on your progress so far. Secondly, excercise is not recommended because you are not consuming enough calories to burn so your body will start to find them in your muscle tissue-including your heart. You will actually be hurting yourself. That said, toning excercises (such as light weights and crunches, etc.) are beneficial. As you've noticed coaches and people tend to make their own judgements on this. I am a dance teacher so excercise is not an option for me. I have found that my weight loss stalled out and I had to start consuming more fats and protiens before and after class in order to keep losing. Some coaches recommend an extra packet, some prefer a restricted for the carbs. Since each body is different you need to carefully experiment with yours.

If excercise is important to you, Carla has just mentioned that she is about to start an IP program designed for athletes. Maybe that is more your style? She said she was going to post the protocal info soon. Good luck!
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

My coach told me it was better to exercise, will keep me toned. I do a mixture of weights and aerobics, but make sure not to high in my pulse rate. I also add one more IP packet a day. I am on week four, I have lots of energy, no headaches, ect. I work in a dental clinic and I see no difference in my working conditions, have to be very alert and not tired.

I like how I am getting smaller, but I see a nice shape coming through, and its firm not jiggly like jello.

Seems alot of coaches dont want you to exercise. I know the first two weeks I was just so tired, and I could only exercise lightly. I think the best bet is listen to your body and your coach of course lol.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I was quite active before I started IP. I continued with my activites after starting IP, I just cut back on the volume. I don't think I have had any slow down in weight loss, I have great energy and feel stronger since starting IP.
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #5  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

So what exercises will require me to add an extra meal / packet?

Can I run while on IP? If so for how long/far/fast? Add one IP meal after running?

I do martial arts, can I keep doing it or is that too strenuous?

Can I work-out everyday? Or is there a minimum number of days we're allowed to work-out?

How about YOU, yes YOU who haven't chimed in, any thoughts? How do you incorporate your workouts? Do you add IP meals?

Let us know pls. Thanks all!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #6  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

I meant to say "is there a maximum number of days we're allowed to work-out?" Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #7  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230to170 View Post

Can I run while on IP? If so for how long/far/fast? Add one IP meal after running?

Can I work-out everyday? Or is there a minimum number of days we're allowed to work-out?

How about YOU, yes YOU who haven't chimed in, any thoughts? How do you incorporate your workouts? Do you add IP meals?

I'm in phase 1 and I run. I have lost about 15lbs in about 4 weeks.

I run about 20 to 30 miles a week with one long run (about 10 miles) on weekends.

Before my long runs, I have two restricted items so that I have energy to run. If I have one, I find that I get super tired toward the end of my run and super hungry once i'm finished!

I always have one boiled egg white after a run with lots of water. Sometimes i'll just have lunch too.

My coach, who has also done IP is a marathon runner, and he just told me to find what suits me best by providing different options he and his clients have tried. This week, I am going to try to have 2 nonrestricted before my run with an egg white.

I do take extra potassium to avoid muscle pain.

I workout everyday. Occasionally, I take a day off. I hope this helps!

OH - I should add that if I ever feel weak or tired, I just postpone my run for the next day.

Last edited by SWP; 02-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #8  
Started IP Feb 4,2011

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230to170 View Post

I was exercising regularly before IP. At first, I used IP as an excuse not to go to the gym when I am feeling lazy - not a good habit to start Now, I try to get to weight lifting classes at least twice a week to maintain my existing muscles. I know they are there, just hiding, waiting for the fat to go away so they can peek out I drink an extra IP shake immediately following weight lifting.

Haven't got back to cardio but I do walk dogs for about an hour a day so at least I am moving - no extra IP packet for that. Once I start adding cardio back in, will definitely add another IP packet.
HokieHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #9  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

For ANY cardio I do, I add an extra packet and a little protein (like an egg white). The reason for the packet is that the proteins are more accessible to the body, and help rebuild the muscles you're working. We, in ketosis, have to be sure to have enough protein for the kidney/liver to create glucose for the brain, as well as enough to run our bodies. On exercise days, I typically take in between 900-1000 calories (I use a restricted and either blueberry-pom drink or jello, as well as a vanilla pudding in my morning coffee and soup/pudding/drink). I do spinning classes and light weight training in three-four days a week, so I'm exercising around an hour and a half a day. I have recently cut back on the intensity of my spin classes, but have added more reps per set with a lighter weight in my weight training, which helps with toning rather than bulking up.

Yes. How long/far/fast is determined by you and your heart rate. Try not to get above the fat burning stage, because then you begin breaking down your muscle proteins and that can include heart muscle. Have a packet right after running so you can rebuild the muscles to be stronger.

Again, it depends on the intensity. I know that's a frustrating response when you want a yes/no answer, but I would treat it just like running. Add a packet.

I don't think there's a minimum or maximum days you can work out, just please pay attention to your body.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Joliebug82; 02-28-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #10  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

SWP, Hokie, and Jolie .... Thank you soooo very much.

I'm kinda new so I haven't really explored many of the threads (just way too many), but it seems like most folks just do very light stuff like yoga or walking. Your answers were pretty consistent. Basically, (1) we can work out at a moderate to higher intensity while on IP, (2) but be sure to take IP packets [more than the protocol 3 packets for phase 1], and most importantly, (3) listen to your body. Got it!

Like I've previously mentioned, I've just been walking the stairs at work and doing chin/pull/sit/push-ups for toning. I also do planks for core. But I will slowly get back to other work-out routines.

Again, thank you so much!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #11  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

And thanks to all who previously responded.