General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default A work rant...

I work part-time, and I knew this going into the job, but they schedule you less than 20 hours a week. It really isn't enough and I am lucky I still live with my parents.
However, it is ironic because they have call offs or they suddenly need someone to come in immediately and it feels like it is always me. So, some weeks I can get a few more hours and I am thrilled about that even if it only gets me to 20 or so hours total.
But I am getting tired feeling like I am "on call". I feel obligated to go in because I really need the extra hours. But imagine having plans for what you are going to do in a day, and then getting a call in the middle of the day and putting those plans off to go in...
I feel like I am just complaining. Maybe I am...but isn't there a recession out there? I find it ironic that I am the only one who will go in immediately. Usually I am told I am the last option, no one answers their phone or they say no...and how did they run the business without me before?
I just wonder about the other people. We get so few hours to begin with, why doesn't anyone else jump at the chance to go in? Do they know something I don't? lol...
What do you think? Isn't it odd if you get only 20 hours or less a week you would go in when called instead of one person getting all the opportunities? Maybe I don't have a life so I am always the one who answers the phone...
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't stress about the other people, be thankful you have a job.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #3  

A friend of mine was on call like you. He would just drop everything and be there in 10 minutes.
After he turned 21 they offered him a job as manager. The owner offered to finance his franchise.
He was dependable and honest.
It will pay off some day.
Be happy they turn to you.
Dependable help is almost impossible to find.
Ask for more hours and a raise in a couple of months.

(You are doing great with the weight loss. ... 150 isn't far away...Wow!)
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Jolina is right !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Jolina too! It is amazing how hard it is to find good people, even considering the economy.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I work in the restaurant business, have for fifteen years now. For every one person who works for me who answers the phone when I'm calling in desperation for someone to come in I have ten who don't answer, or who say no, even if they are always begging for extra hours otherwise. So I always call the one who comes in without fail first. I figure it is a win-win for both of us.

And, they are the ones who get the promotions and the bonuses and the full time positions when they become available.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #7  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I work in the restaurant business, have for fifteen years now. For every one person who works for me who answers the phone when I'm calling in desperation for someone to come in I have ten who don't answer, or who say no, even if they are always begging for extra hours otherwise. So I always call the one who comes in without fail first. I figure it is a win-win for both of us.

And, they are the ones who get the promotions and the bonuses and the full time positions when they become available.
Same thing I was going to say.
I did the very same in the hotel, if I KNEW I had a person who was dependable and who could use more hours . . . guess who was getting the first option to have those hours? When things picked up and we needed a PT to go FT, guess who that was offered to first?
It speaks highly of you're work ethic and dedication, that will take you far.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #8  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Like the ladies say it's a good thing, you've proven to them you are responsible and reliable to them companies love that! Sure you might have to drop your social life here and there but at least you're making money and the manager's are noticing so if you ever wanted to quit because you found something better you know you'd always have a good reference!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny18 View Post
Usually I am told I am the last option, no one answers their phone or they say no..
They are calling you first because they know they would be wasting their time calling the other co-workers.

This happens to me a lot at one of my jobs, and yes, I go in every time. The problem it poses for me is that I have to plan out my meals daily so If they call in a short amount of time it throws off my eating schedule. So frustrating!

Hopefully they will increase your scheduled hours because you have already proven yourself to be reliable.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusti View Post
This happens to me a lot at one of my jobs, and yes, I go in every time. The problem it poses for me is that I have to plan out my meals daily so If they call in a short amount of time it throws off my eating schedule. So frustrating!
THIS is the one reason it does bother me! I plan to eat XX at Y time and KK at X time...and then I am called in and that is messed up. Like, I remember one time they called around lunch time, I was doing something else and hadn't eaten lunch and I decided not to answer the phone because I hadn't eaten since 7, it was going on 12 and if I had to run in right away I might not have gotten a bite to eat til 3 or 4...

Unfortunately none of us are full time, and we don't get bonuses or even benefits so I don't expect any of that to happen
Really I am just doing it for the money anyways. If I got a full-time job farther away I'd need some money to start rent/down payment so I am saving up for that. Or, plan B is to go to the local college in the fall so I am saving up for that...
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I work in a profession where we're calling freelancers to do assignments, usually the day before, sometimes the same day. The ones who get more assignments and make more money are the ones who are consistently available. I'd say try to look at it like that, it's a temporary situation that you're doing for the money. Keep the larger picture in mind, and don't let it get to you.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote