Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Intervals go so fast!

I had a great run this morning on the treadmill...yes, the treadmill.

I started at my new normal pace of 5.7 and did that for four minutes. Then I up-ticked by .1 every minute until I reached 6.5 at which point I backed it down .2 until I reached 5.7 again. I held 5.7 for two minutes I think and then repeated the whole thing. I did this for 30 minutes and hit exactly 3 miles.

Time flew by and I ran faster than my normal 5.7. I think this is going to increase my comfortable speed. My goal is to run comfortably at 6.0, as in carry a conversation while I run at that pace. I can do that at 5.7 now. I was just amazed at how quickly time sped by and how much energy I still had at the end. After a 30 minute straight run at 5.7 I am clock watching and can't wait for it to end and my energy is just gone. And the way I did it today, I never ran slower than that speed, and yet it was somehow better.

A guy at the gym asked me was it easier? I had a hard time answering. I said it certainly wasn't harder, but I wouldn't exactly say it was easier. It was the same I guess. But a little bit it was easier just because of the mental aspect of it.

I'm itching to run outside!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

WOW...that's great! I just recently discovered the "time moving" powers of running intervals..haha! However, I run 60-65 mins, so my pace is a bit slower. I started really really slow when I first began running (3.5mph)...NOW, I start out at 5.0 for 10-15 mins, then up it to 5.5 for 5 mins and back down to 5.0 for 5 mins. I alternate until I get up to the last 10 mins of my 5 mile run, and keep pace at 5.0mph. For some reason, I don't feel my body really kicks into full "fat burning mode" until after my 3rd or 4th mile....perhaps my body is getting used to it. The scale is much better to me when I do 5 mile runs as to doing 4 mile runs....so my goal this week is 20 miles. So far...so good....I'm sooo looking to get into the 150's...uggggh!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-25-2011 at 08:17 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

couldn't agree more!

even when i did the running in place on the wii fit, i often alternated between jumping 'rope' and running. it doesn't count the extra calories of course, but i feel like i get a better workout. if i jump fast enough, my running and jumping speed (according to the person on the screen) is close to the same speed. it doesn't say your speed, but it says how much time is left and how much distance has gone by. i always get these reminders, you aren't keeping a steady pace. you'll more more calories if you run at a steady pace, or something like that. well i don't agree, so i just do what i want!

Last edited by katy trail; 02-25-2011 at 10:09 AM.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I agree!

I do a warm up at a steep incline (3.8, 10 incline), then 8 fast/slow intervals at speed 9/4 for 60s each, then a warm down. I'm done in like 22 minutes but I'm pretty sure I'm doing better for my body than jogging for 30-40! It goes so fast that it really motivates me.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Joyful, I'm glad to see another slow runner building out there! Back in maybe May or June, I hopped on the treadmill to see if I could run a mile. I did it. I ran it at 5.0 but it took my friend telling me not to give up beside me for me to finish it. I started the C25K program and nearly gave it up because I was running at 5.0 and thought I was going to die. Just before the dreaded 20 minute straight run I decided to try a slower speed. I discovered I ran much better at 4.6!! Since then I've been building. So I'm rather impressed with myself right now. I have not made rapid progress like so many of our runners nor have I fallen in love with running. But I am very proud of what I have accomplished and I do love working toward a goal.

I think my distance running is going to take place outside and I'll use the treadmill for "training". That's my thought anyway.

LLBold, I tried hills once and got pains in my legs I don't normally get. I pushed through for a few weeks thinking I just needed to build up the muscles and then decided that no, I was injuring myself. I decided it wasn't worth it. When I hit the trails outside I'll run on some small hills and see if it's any better. To me, running isn't worth pain.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
I tried hills once and got pains in my legs I don't normally get. I pushed through for a few weeks thinking I just needed to build up the muscles and then decided that no, I was injuring myself. I decided it wasn't worth it.
THIS^^ is EXACTLY what happened to me months ago, when I tried running hills...

For some reason though...outdoor running up hills does not hurt me at all...well maybe a heart, but that should be stronger now...can't wait to put it to the test!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
THIS^^ is EXACTLY what happened to me months ago, when I tried running hills...

For some reason though...outdoor running up hills does not hurt me at all...well maybe a heart, but that should be stronger now...can't wait to put it to the test!
Right, I'm not sure if it's the heart or if it's the lungs, but one of them wants to explode! LOL! This is what makes me run slow, not the legs.

And I ran outside last summer on a path with small hills and had no problem. I think it's just the not perfect treadmill. And besides mountain climbing, how often do we ask our legs to work uphill for an entire hour anyway? Of course, I live in the flat lands of Ohio, so maybe my view is skewed...

Last edited by Eliana; 02-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.