Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Default Okay ladies, I need some help finding a dress.

I have a wedding to attend in 3 weeks. I have nothing dressy and no idea what will flatter. Also, Id like to not spend so much seeing as I will probably wear this dress once unless I have it altered in the future. Im about a size 18 right now. I like the look of shirt dresses but I just dont know if I will fit in them nicely. I have a muffin top like no other and Im a 38DDD bust. Nothing sleeveless, I have loose arm skin that Im overly worried about. I know I should be out trying things on but Im really intimidated by anything thats not t shirts and jeans.

Help!

Last edited by Jonesie; 02-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Jonesie, have you thought of going pants and top instead of a dress? Us shorties don't need horizontal lines. Palazzo pants in a flowing fabric would be flattering and look elegant with pretty sandals. A lose v-neck top in the same fabric would work, especially if it has a V or slightly scooped neck.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/160/155

Height: 5' 7.5"

I second the V-neck! I've got a couple of dresses that have 1/2 length bell sleeves (that flare out just a bit and are elbow length) that are terrific for flattering arms. With your height, I'd def. stick with dresses that hit above the knee. And v-necks and wrap/faux-wrap dresses are wondrously flattering, too!

Target has some perfect styles (check 1st page of Target.com dresses):

Mossimo® Women's Multi-wear Twist and Wrap Dress - Black
Mossimo Supply Co. Juniors Kimono Sleeve Dress - Cornelian Blue
Mossimo Supply Co. Juniors 3/4 Kimono Sleeve Dress - Chinese Red
Women's Plus-Size Merona® Navy Short-Sleeve Artist Empire Dress
Mossimo Supply Co. Juniors 3/4 Kimono Sleeve Dress - Quartz Gray

And just speaking from my own personal experience, shirt dresses are totally adorable, but I've not found them to be very flattering. But, I've got a really high natural waist. If your waist is low or medium, a shirt dress should look super-cute, especially if it's got a belt or you add your own chunky belt.

Last edited by AshleyRae; 02-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.
AshleyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb

I wear a 46DD bra and I have height compared to you and I thought those wrap dresses would help but on me all I see is big boobs and an even bigger butt. I would go with what the other person said about wearing some sheer pants and a loose sheer top. We might even be able to find something in a clearance part of the stores out there or even at Goodwill.

A pair of black palazzo pants with an "evening style" tank and sheer blouse over all that looks really dressy if you pair it with a pair of sandals (provided you can wear them where you live--isn't there a lot of snow right now?) If you have the time you can also purchase some sew on sequin strips and line the neckline with those for added "glitz". If you tack them on you can remove them afterwards and wear the tank for every day. You can never go wrong with black but also a silvery metal gray can look dressy as well. The idea is to go with lightweight fabric in the clothes and it will look more dressy and skim your body better.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #5  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Torrid has a good clearance sale going on now, and they have a couple of dressier shrugs. I just bought a purple tube dress from them and a silver shrug to go over it, and it's super flattering. Good luck
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

Personally I like wrap dresses. They can be dressed up or down with accessories and can usually be worn through several sizes.
I'm 5'2 and pear shaped. I feel like they balance out my top and bottom nicely.
What do you consider to be your best feature? Body wise what feature would you like to show?
Good luck!
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #7  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i'm a fan of wrap dresses as well. i wear a size d, and have all sorts of muffin top weirdness going on in the hip area. i wear spanx to hold myself in if i'm wearing a dress. i also second the idea of pants. i tend to get pants at macy's. they usually have decent deals, and if you can score a coupon, all the better. plus, you can always wear dress pants. i still wear spanx with dress pants at times, especially fitted ones. as far as tops, i wear a camisole and a shrug, wrap, pretty cardigan (whatever is suitable for the occasion).
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #8  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Is it cold there? If you get a shirt dress or sweater dress with tights and pair it with a wide belt positioned just under the boobs, you can create an empire dress style that tends to be pretty flattering (and covers the muffin top )... you can dress it up with a chunky, sparkle long necklace and/or bracelet -

A look like has been suggested above would also be cute - here's an outfit from Macys (not cheap), but could be replicated with pieces from thrift stores or cheaper stores (black flowy pants and black tank are pretty basic to find - just add a jacket you like)

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...D1%26spc%3D239
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #9  

THank you EVERYONE for the replies. Im going to go out tomorrow afternoon and get the hunt on for an outfit (maybe pants!) and now at least I know where to start.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #10  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Ooo, Spixiet, I like that outfit! Good luck, Jonesie. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, myself.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #11  

I found something! its not SUPER dressy but Im comfortable in it. Dress pants (light grey) a grey silk top and a bright purple sweater. I have to hem the pants 4 inches because even in 4 inch heels they are soooo long! I couldnt find a short pair. I will post pics when I get all dolled up in it. Thank you EVERYONE for the tips. You guys are life savers!