Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 139/?

Height: 5'9.5

Question I'm worried about consuming more calories

Let me preface this by saying: Welcome to the world of TMI! However, it's needed, in order for me to gain the proper advice.

Alright, so I definitely don't get enough calories -- Under 1K daily. Eh, former eating disorder puts me in this mind-set + I don't exercise = Kinda phobic. I know that I can consume more calories though.

However, I am extremely sedentary. Like hospital sedentary, lmao. I lay in bed, most of the day. Why? Because I have pretty severe OCD, which causes me to avoid most things, but it is improving a lot, so I am stopping avoidance = I will be moving a lot more.

My daily intake is as follows: Campbell's Select soup (usually Minestrone), 100% whole wheat sandwich - Lean chicken breast with 2% swiss or cheddar cheese with Dijon mustard, oatmeal with flax and raisin with almond milk. Then 2 Diet Rockstars and a pack of Marlboro Reds. I also usually have some Soy Crisps - Sea Salt flavored. :I

Very low intake. I can get better.

I am worried about consuming more calories, because even if I exercise, I am so weak I don't think that I can do it with much endurance or y'know..power. Not only do I smoke, but my muscles are barely there. I am thin - 5'9.5, 139 lbs. I took my measurements and an online calculator said that my body fat percentage was 20%, and I'm not sure if that's accurate, but whatever.

What do you guys think? I'm very sorry that I was kinda rambling...

Also, I looked at a nutrition calculator, and it said that I should be consuming 1763 calories with little-to-no exercise...there should be an option for 'almost comatose' :P. Does this seem reasonable? An article for how to repair the 'skinny-fat syndrome' (when you're skinny, but have more fat than muscle), said that you should either eat at maintenance or lower, if you have some weight to lose. I want to eat a bit lower. Sound like a good idea? I have a small bone structure, and want to get to 132 - Still a healthy BMI, about 19.2 I believe.
GirlMeetsPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #2  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I think I would worry more about building healthy muscle and getting more active than losing 7 more lbs. As you know by having mentioned the whole "skinny fat" thing, a toned 140 looks much better than a flabby 130. Not to imply that you're flabby...but I think you know what I mean!

You're already a very healthy weight, but smoking and being inactive are obviously not helping you in the health department. (NOT ragging you for smoking...I used to smoke, I get it!) But even smokers can improve their fitness level. You may not be able to run 10 miles tomorrow, but you CAN get to where you don't dread taking the stairs. You can do strength training. If the idea of lifting weights is a turn off, start with some beginning yoga and work your way up from there.

As far as the calories, 1700-1800ish sounds about right to me for maintenance for you. Adding an extra 800 calories a day may seem scary, but you don't have to eat 1800 calories tomorrow. You could try a "step up" method and add an extra 100-150 cals/day each week for the next couple of months. So eat an extra piece of fruit now, add something else next week, etc. But you should be eating more. If you become more active, I bet you'll be hungrier too.

Good luck.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 02-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote