Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Calories on package vs counters

What do you trust?

For example I have a frozen prepackaged dill salmon filet that says per 148g filet is 150 cal.

How does that make sence if NutritionData and Livestrong say it's 280 cal and some say as much as 350 cal.

All weight is the same.

So confused. Thanks for any feedback.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

If it was me, and I had double checked the package to be sure that they were listing the 148g fillet as 1 serving, then i would trust the package, personally. Because food manufacturers and distributers have an obligation to provide proper nutritional info.

Just my $0.02
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #3  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I would trust the package.

I don't personally trust those online websites - especially LiveStrong and Sparkpeople. I don't trust them because it seems that every calorie count was posted by a person just like you or me, and they are never accurate. I know they aren't because I have the same products at home and the counts don't always match (like you are saying), and sometimes I check a sandwich from a chain and the chain website has something totally different, and sometimes, it just plain doens't make sense or you see 3 or 4 entries with the same food but different counts.

It might just be me who doesn't trust those sites...I've noticed whenever I ask for a calorie count here I just get responses to go check LiveStrong. I think Livestrong is an OK guide, but I wouldn't say everything is entirely accurate.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #4  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I usually go by the package. When there is no package to go by, I will look up calorie counts online from a few sources and kind of average them out to get a good "guesstimate." Calorie counting is not an exact science. It's frustrating sometimes, but even if your math isn't perfect every day, it's the long term accountability that gets you the results.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 02-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I usaully give into my OCD tendencies for calorie counting and check multiple websites (Livestrong, caloriecount, nutritiondata) and then average or use the highest number. Sometimes the number on the package just seems too good to be true to me.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I would always go with what's on the packaging, rather than what's on a user-generated content site like LiveStrong. As has already been said, I should imagine companies would get into a lot of trouble if the published nutritional information on packaging was inaccurate, so I'd definitely trust that over something online. Moreover, there's loads of reasons why calorie counting websites may have inaccurate counts - regional/national variations in the product, a change in the product's size or ingredients since it was originally manufactured, or just plain old user error in inputting calorie data in the first place.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #7  

Thanks! That was my first thought to trust the package but just wanted to double check with you guys here.

As far as I read packaged food has strict protocols with respect to labeling.

Wildflower, I complexly agree with your comment about LiveStrong ;-)

Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
I usaully give into my OCD tendencies for calorie counting and check multiple websites (Livestrong, caloriecount, nutritiondata) and then average or use the highest number. Sometimes the number on the package just seems too good to be true to me.
OMG I thought I was the only obsessive compulsive dieter to do that!!! LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I always trust the packaging for items with nutrition info, and on produce that generally doesn't, I weigh it and calculate the calories for it on FitDay. LiveStrong and other such sites seem annoyingly all over the place to me, so I generally don't bother with those ones.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'd be more likely to believe the package or the USDA database than a database where a bunch of users put in the info because of typos.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote