Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Question for all of you runners!

I've recently taken up running, and have signed up for my first 5k! I have plenty of time to train, but I am curious, how long did it take you to get to that point?

Right now I can run for about 6 minutes/0.5 miles before I am too out of breath and feel like I need to stop. Generally I'll walk long enough to catch my breath, then run again. (I do this for 3 miles.) Right now though it just seems inconceivable to me that I'll ever be able to run 3 straight miles. I'm sure many of you have experienced that feeling!

Anyway, I'm just curious. I know everyone is different, so I'm not striving to match anyone else, but I do wonder what others' experiences have been!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #2  

Also, this is only slightly related, but I'm able to easily do 45 minutes/5 miles on my elliptical. Obviously I realize there is a huge difference in the amount of exertion, but it is really 10x easier?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I hate ellipticals, especially because I always feel like the resistance is too low to be doing anything, so I can't speak to converting between then, but have you considering trying C25k? It's really hard to get up the motivation to run at first, and the thing you really need to focus on is learning the tempo of your body and breathing.

I am just training for a 10k now, starting about a week ago, and I've found that modulating my speed -- between 5 and 7 mph -- works for me. What if you start a little faster (6 mph) and then slow down instead of stopping when you start to lose your breath? It would make it much easier to go a little longer at a time, and you can then easily work up to longer runs.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

You can't compare ellipticals and running it's like comparing apples and oranges... They use a completely different set of muscles...

Actually it's great that you can run 6 minutes already as a beginner runner ... You can increase your running endurance by slowing down and running longer than your 6 minutes bringing it to 7-8 minutes and increasing it a little at a time over the weeks.... You could also start the c25k at mid point and go from there with the program...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #5  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

I used to run a bit many years ago, and ran the Corporate Challenge at one point(3.5 miles). I just started running again a few months ago, and have signed up for a 5K on 4/30.

I was getting frustrated with my lack of progress - my problems wasn't so much feeling tired or out of breath as feeling pain and tightness in my shins and ankles. What helped me(and I am also looking into some better running shoes) was slowing my pace down. I decided to work on my distance first, get up to 5K, and the work on pace. So I went from a 12-minute mile(which was slow to begin with, admittedly) and go to a 13.5 minute mile. I'm now up to 2.5 miles continuously and hope to be up to 3 in 2 weeks. Then I'll slowly start increasing my speed - I have visions of being the last one to finish my race!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

You're doing better than me if you can make 6min of straight running. I'm on week 4 of c25k and it has you run 5 then walk 2 and a half and that was hard!
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

It took me EXACTLY 10 weeks to go from being able to run 30 seconds/walk 2 mins to running straight a 5K (outdoors w/hills).

Don't worry OP...your body can do a whole lot more than your mind wants you to believe. Keep your pace slow...gradually increase your mileage and you'll be there in no time!

Oh and...Yes, eliptical is at least 10x easier than running IMHO.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-14-2011 at 07:02 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebox View Post
You're doing better than me if you can make 6min of straight running. I'm on week 4 of c25k and it has you run 5 then walk 2 and a half and that was hard!
I just finished week 4 of C25K too. It was HARD. On day two, I had to stop several times during the second set of 3 and 5 min runs. I made it all the way day 1 and 3, but now I am wondering how I am going to run a full 20 minutes in just three more sessions????? If I make it through this week though, I am officially signing up for my first 5K run, so that is motivation to get through it.

To the OP: Starting out at 6 minutes of running is great. Much better than where I started. I don't think it'll take you too long to get to the full three miles, but I definately can relate to wondering how I am going to make it three miles when 5 minutes feels like an eternity.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, you're going to be just fine! I think you're doing great! And you're using intervals, which is an excellent way to build endurance for running. Over time you'll find that you can decrease the walking time and/or increase the running time between breaks.

I started with the hardest one mile I have ever done at 5.0 with my friend right next to me pushing me forward. I was so proud of myself! From there I learned to slow down. I ran through the C25K program at 4.6, a hard speed for me then. Now last week I about killed myself running a 5K at 6.0, my goal. I was really proud of myself, but truly I'm not there yet. So right now my comfortable speed is 5.3, I'm working at 5.5 and want to eventually run a COMFORTABLE 5K at 6.0.

I think my point is to have goals. It doesn't matter where you are, just start there and increase it. Increase distance, increase speed, decrease resting intervals. It all leads to the same goal.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #10  

Thanks for the advice, all! It's encouraging to know that it's not as hopeless as it seems. Now that all of this ice is finally melting, I can't wait to get back outside.

Kudos to all of you making your way through C25K! I've tried it on more than one occasion, but for some reason I get bored with it. I guess I do better following my own "plan" (by which I mean, I don't like being held to one specific plan). I'm actually getting to the point now of looking forward to going out for a run-- something I thought was completely impossible a month ago!

Thanks again for your input!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was the same with C25K. I got through it, but I much prefer doing whatever I feel like doing when my feet hit the gym that morning. Sometimes it's an insane amount and sometimes it's more of a casual run. I like to keep it wherever I am on that day.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

It took me about 5.5 months. That's an unusually long time, from what I've seen. I include it just in case there's anyone else out there who might be discouraged. If you're already at 6 min increments, you will be fine.

Last edited by tea2; 02-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #13  

If you're having trouble making the intervals, SLOW DOWN. Not just run slower-- slow down going from X interval to Y interval. C25K progresses really, really fast. Give your body time to adjust. It's the "it's on the Internet, so OF COURSE it's authoritative" schedule that's the problem, not your body or your effort level.

This is Jeff Galloway's beginners page: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html.

And this is the NY Road Runners Club's beginners program: http://www.nyrr.org/resources/classe..._specifics.asp (scroll down). You'll notice they take ten weeks to get you to that first 20 minute run.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #14  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have run about half a dozen 5k's but I still can't do them without walking at some point.
They are fun!! Even if you have to wakl for a few moments to catch your breath!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #15  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

After reading this thread, I think I'm an overachiever with running speeds... I tend to go only 12 min mile when outdoors with friends, but on the treadmill it's definitely an 8:30 pace straight through. I just started last week and I can't go longer than 10 minutes on treadmill without being totally grumpy and wanting to stop, haha. I'm going to try the advice w/r/t slowing down tomorrow and see how it goes. If it works for me immediately I'll let you know

ETA: You mentioned you have trouble catching your breath. Breathing is really important to being able to keep running. It's all about regulating your breaths along with your steps, because otherwise you can forget to breathe (seriously) and if you skip breaths a few times in the run, you will absolutely kill your stamina. Next time, try to focus on developing a rhythm -- inhale for four steps, exhale for four steps works for me, but try a few breath-paces to figure out what works for you. I promise that makes the whole rhythm of running MUCH more sustainable.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-14-2011 at 04:43 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote