Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Binge Eating Disorders

Hello all,
I would like to talk with ladies who are suffering from a binge eating disorder, something that I have been dealing with since I was in junior high school. I am overcoming it and losing weight and getting healthy, but it is something that I am always going to have to fight and live with.
Common symptoms of a binge eating disorder are:
1.) Dieting, and doing well-but when you cheat-it becomes an all out binge-somtimes consuming a thousand or more calories in a sitting
2.) Not eating much in front of others-doing your binging alone.
3.) Stress, emotions, etc. having an effect on binging.
4.) Most people are totally unaware that you binge eat.

This is not bulemia-where you purge by using vomiting, extreme exercise, or laxatives to counteract your binge-you normally are able to stay on your diet or regular eating style, but you have episodes of extreme eating-usually eating very fast during these episodes, and most of the time it is carbohydrate heavy foods, such as waffles, cookies, donuts, etc.
Let's work through this together.
Aphil
Old 12-05-2002, 10:35 AM   #2  
One day at a time

wow, you nailed it on the head with that description. I started at 220 and lost and gained and lost and gained and lost again. Right now i'm at 180lbs. took 2 years of up and downs and trying every diet, exercise and pill there is. I'm continuing the progress but it's very slow and hope to keep up the good work.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #3  

Hi Sheila!
What I have found that works best for me is a reduced calorie diet that is not too restricitive-eating about 1800 calories a day. It is low enough that I can lose weight slowly-a pound or two a month-but not as low as regular low calorie diets (1200-1500) where you can lose a pound or two a week. if I go too low calorie like that, after a week or two I am much more tempted to binge eating episodes-rather than if I allow more calories on a daily basis.
I totally do not take any sort of diet pills-over the counter or prescription.
I also find that exercise really helps a lot-I do yoga, bellydancing, and strength training with 2-7 pound weights twice a week. It really improves my mood for the day if I do it in the morning.
Some other things that I found that helps, is to avoid eating high carb foods on an empty stomach-I am more likey to binge on them that way. I do much better if Iwere to have a donut or cinnamon roll after eating an egg-on an empty stomach I would be much more likely to eat the whole pan/box.
Aphil
Old 12-05-2002, 03:20 PM   #4  

Hi Monique,
My binging is a lot less frequent now, but there have been times in my life where I have done it 4-5 times a week for months.
1200 calories is the lowest you should really be going-but I think the 1400-1500 range is a lot better for most women-with or without disorders. Try this, and making sure you have a bit of protein with each meal, and see if that helps any. I know I feel much better having an egg and toast for breakfast, rather than a Pop-Tart...you get the sugar rush, and then it drops and you are in prime mode for a binge.
I have felt exactly what you talked about-that loss of control. I am the same as you-if I go off plan, sometimes there is a trigger in me that says "What the ****!" And there is goes-anything in the house that is not glued down is at risk for being in my stomach at that point in time.
I am a lot better if I "plan" to have treats, so I keep that feeling of control and of not going off plan. It is usually something small, like a couple Newtons, or a small scoop of Healthy Choice ice cream-usually around 100-150 calories a day for a "treat". But knowing I can have it and planning for it makes all of the difference.
I have also researched most restaurants websites, as well as the infor on this site, and I am much more prepared walking into a Dairy Queen or Pizza Hut when I know that there is something I can eat within my calorie range. I used to think that if I ate out, I had blown it for the day, and now I know that is not true. I keep a mental note of what I can have in about any restaurant-and have it written down with teh nutrition info in a small mini notebook in my purse. It may seem like a lot of work, but to have that feeling of control and to avoid binges, it is well worth it.
Aphil
Old 12-08-2002, 08:33 PM   #5  

I am brand new here. But when I read this I just had to jump right in.

I am a binge eater. It seemed like over the years the binges have gotten worse and closer together. At the beginning of this year I came to a place where I felt like I couldn't quit eating. I gained 16 pounds in 14 days and put myself at my all time high of 277 pounds. And at 5'1" I felt like I could hardly get around.

I had tried therapy for this problem before but had been told that this eating problem was out of her expertise. This time I found an eating disorder counslor. I worked very hard and the binges became farther and farther apart. It took me until Sept to finally feel like I had stopped. That is not to say it couldn't happen again. I know I must be careful, my next binge is only a bite away.

One of the things that helped me was at the end of every day I recorded what I had eaten. Regardles if I binged or not. This made me accountable for my eating. I still do that. I am trying to eat healthier and I will never diet again. It is the worse thing a binge eater can do. I don't eat much white flour or sugar products. Although so I so don't feel too deprived I do occsionally allow myself treats.

It is good to know there are others that I can talk to. It is a horrible disorder. My last binge was in sept. I have lost 27 pounds and I am feeling so much better.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by SweetPickles; 12-08-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #6  

SP-I am glad you are feeling better. I also record a food diary of what I eat each day, it makes such a big difference.
Aphil
Old 12-19-2002, 12:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Let me tell you all that you have described me to a tee. There are times when I start eating and do great and then all it takes is one mistake and then it is well why not I alll ready blew it. I think there are weeks when that come on about 4 times a week. I am now wondering what I can do to help myself. SP mentioned about theapry and that sounds like a wonderful but where I am located at there isn't nobody around for anything such as this. So any ideas on how I can help myself? Looking for any and all help/
Old 12-19-2002, 09:12 AM   #8  

I think a good way to start is to start keep ing a food diary of everything that you put into your mouth, and to start recognizing the symptoms of an impending binge-and try to do what you can to get the heck away from the food! ha ha ha
We all know when it is coming on-and it is so hard to stop once you have started, so it is best to attempt to stop it before you start bingeing.
Also try to repair the stress or emotions in your life that are causing you to binge...such as work stress, a bad relationship, etc.
Aphil
Old 12-19-2002, 10:48 AM   #9  

Thanks I think that I will do that and see if it helps me. I wish that I could get rid of my strees in my life but sometimes things are not so easy to do. Work for one is a huge one but there are circumstances beyond my control as to why I can't leave. The biggest one is the fact that I suffer from endo. and that would be considered a pre-existing condition and so I kinda gotta have the health insurance. The other big stress is that my son has recently been diagionsed with ADD and it has been hard to get him all the help that he needs but we are doing it slowly. If it wasn't for those 2 things I might be alright but in the end I pray that I will be. Maybe after a few weeks I might be able to notice a pattern. Thanks for being there. Let me know how you are doing Aphil and there is anything that I can do to help you. Please keep me posted.

Here's to a BLESSED DAY to all,
sandy
Old 12-22-2002, 11:36 AM   #10  
Going All The Weigh

I have lurked here for a few days before I have gained my courage to actually post and say anything. I did try to post a few days ago but lost my nerve.

I have delt with my weight all my life, when I was 18, I weighed 275. Thats when I started binging and purging. Within 3 years I had lost down to 140. By then I was doing laxitives, diet pills, binging-purging. Then I got pregnate, so the purging had to stop, you see I always wanted a child, even more than being thin. Anyway, the binging still continued. Now 4 years later, I'm 305, and still that is after coming from 362.

I'm doing the WW Program, and it does help, but I need support from people who know what it feels like to sometimes lose all control.

I hope no one minds me just butting in.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:51 PM   #11  

Keltic never worry about butting here. In my oponion we all have to be there for each other when they need the support no matter where it is at. Today is the the first day in a long time that I haven't even thought about a binge. Thank GOD for that. Have often thought about the WW program but the cost is just way too high for me. I am startung my journel tomorrow. I am one of those that I have to have a plan to start and tomrrow morning is the time frame for me starting my food journel. Whish me luck. Here's to all of us learning to end the binge. Keltic anytime that you need me I am here, and that goes for anyone of you as well. I have gotten so much help and support I think that I should give it back anyway that I can.

Merry Christmas,
sandy
Old 12-23-2002, 08:45 AM   #12  

Keltic,
You are welcome here. I am glad that you are finding luck with Weight Watchers, and congradulate you on losing over 50 pounds already. That alone has done wonders for your health.
I had become successful in finally gaining control and getting down to my goal weight, and it has also come back due to having a child-so I can relate. It is never too late to begin gaining that control and doing what is good for your body. There is a woman I post with on another thread that is in her 70's, and she is such an inspiration.
Something that has really helped me, is to try to think of a splurge in a different light. If I have a splurge or binge, I used to throw in the towel and continue on eating whatever was there for 3 or 4 days at a time-now if I cannot control a small binge-such as a dinner out or holiday meal-I try to keep it to that meal or day-and get right back on the wagon in the morning. There is no reason for me to turn one meal into stuffing myself for 3 days-I have to tell myself that.
Aphil
Old 12-23-2002, 05:30 PM   #13  

Bravo!!!!!!!!! Wonderfully said.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:04 AM   #14  

I hope you all don't mind me jumping into this thread. It's 5:30 am and I just got home from driving my husband to work, before going back to bed I thought I would surf for diet support forums - WOW what a goldmine I stumbled upon!

My name is Roberta and I just figured out now that I have a binge eating problem. That in itself is a miracle. All my life I have dieted and it wasn't until I started dieting that I had a weight problem.

My dd is now almost 11 months old and I am at an all-time high of 260 lbs on my 5'6" frame. pre-pregnancy I was at about 230. Pregnancy was the best time of my life in terms of my relationship with food - I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and found that I had naturally found peace within myself with eating, and ended up *not* overeating or ever bingeing for those 8 months! I didn't eat at night, loved my body (even though I was overweight), it was great! Then postpartum I *had* to lose the weight, and that's when all the problems started.

Coming home this morning I performed a small miracle by NOT going to the local donut store and getting a snack pack of donuts and a high-sugar coffee!

I went through sooooo many diets in the past 11 months! Atkins, WW, slim fast, not allowing myself to eat ANYTHING, etc. I finally realized that I just have to do it the way I did before when I lost a lot of weight and maintained - lowfat and not eating a lot of bread or starches, which are a trigger food for me. Also now it is a godsend that vegetables are no longer repulsive to me (it stuck around for months postpartum).

Sorry to ramble on .. anyways I am glad that I found a place that I can turn to for support. I know I can beat this, I hate being controlled by food all the time. I am tired all the time, and feel like I am 50 years old rather than 28. Time to do something about it.

Robby
Old 12-24-2002, 11:25 AM   #15  

Hi Robby!
Yes, this place is a goldmine!
I find as well that refined starches are trigger foods for me-donuts, cake, white bread and rolls, etc. I try to only eat them occasionally, and only if I have had some protein beforehand-such as an egg or some sort of meat. The protein really helps.
I feel much better if my starches come from fruits and vegetables, or whole wheat products-whole wheat pasta or breads.
Feel free to jump in whenever you like-and say whatever is on your mind.
Aphil
Closed Thread