Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm rebelling already?

So here's the deal: I'm supposed to be staying with under 15g carbs and 5g fat/serving for all my meals. Not a problem generally. And my NUT has even broken that rule in some of the items on my list of acceptable foods-refried beans for example has more and some of the yogurts they suggest have a little more . . .

However-they want me to use fat-free mayo and low-fat or fat free cheese. I don't have a problem with lite mozz or low fat or ff ricotta. White and soft cheeses are different. But if I have beans, chili, scrambled egg with cheese-I want to use the real thing. And I don't use much-1/2oz or so. Same with mayo-I think low fat and fat free mayos are disgusting. I try to use 1/2 or 1 tbls.

So-I've been careful to use as little as possible, and it doesn't bother my pouch . . .but am I just being stubborn? In my research I can see the the low carb restriction is common across the board-but I haven't seen a lot of restrictions in fat intake-with the exception of very fatty foods bothering some folks. My NUT says that high fat foods can make you dump, which I thought only happened with high-carb foods . . .

I kinda think the low-fat thing is just my center's "thing"-nutritionists and dieticans generally promote very low fat diets, right?

Just looking for some input.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I have dumped off of high fat food but that's generally when they're paired with a refined carb
I use LF Mayo and cheese I don't do FF it's gross
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

The wool has been pulled over the nutrition industry's eyes for decades now - fat is NOT bad. If it hurts your stomach or causes undesirable effects, then, by all means, limit it, but if not, then fat (even saturated) in a diet that is low in carbs has been proven to NOT be harmful to health. Fat by itself does not clog arteries or damage your heart or anything such as what many will try to say it does

Because my procedure was not performed as expected, I have no reason to believe I am currently malabsorbing ANY of the fat I eat (I sure don't have any of the usual telltale signs of fat malabsorption and never have). I aim for a minimum of 65% of my daily calories to come from fat. My cholesterol numbers are amazing (total cholesterol barely above 100, LDL and HDL continue each heading in the right directions), and I show no signs of the type 2 diabetes I was once diagnosed with when I eat like this (high fat, low carb).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

juliemarie - as long as you keep the serving sizes SMALL [and it sounds like that's what you're doing], it shouldn't be a huge issue. BUT, when you hit a plateau, or a point at which you're maybe not losing as quickly as your doc thinks you should, this could be an area to take a look at again. Having said that, though, i think that 1 TBS of full fat mayo has the same fat/calories as 2 TBS lowfat mayo.

so, read your labels, make sure you know exactly what's going into your mouth and how it's working for you.

i HATE lowfat mayo and lowfat cheese. but i will eat FF Greek yogurt very happily.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote