Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #1  
Long Journey

S/C/G: 350/350/175

Height: 5'10"

Angry Endocrinologist said.. only true way to lose weight and keep it off is WLS.. WTH??

I have made quite a few post on here lately. Just trying to lose weight and be healthy like everyone else. I saw my endocrinologist the other day. I see her for PCOS and IR. She had put me on adipex a few months ago to lose weight. Well, it didn't work because it really messed with my heart so I couldn't take it anymore. Anyways, she informed me that I needed to have WLS because that is the only true way that I will be able to keep the weight off. I informed her that I didn't want to have WLS. I want to do this the natural way. She kept telling me that I was so morbidly obese that I would never be able to keep it off due to the fact that I have been obese my whole life. I didn't have some kids and then get fat... this has lasted for years!! SHe told me that there is a difference between lifers and those that gained weight recently. She said that my body would not allow me to lose weight. WHAT??? Also, she did not even touch me one single time. I saw her twice and she has not touched me ever. No one has to tell me that I need a new doctor. I know that she is horrible. I don't like what she says and I am going to go and see someone else. My insurance would pay for the WLS but I don't want it. I have never felt so bullied by a doctor before.
lovegoddess1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #2  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Dang, that's certainly not helpful, is it?! Even if you wanted it, WLS is no magic cure. And I personally don't believe a "lifer" (I am one) is destined to remain morbidly obese. I have spent a lot of time and energy getting myself to a place where I truly BELEIVE significant, lasting weight loss CAN happen for me if I'm willing to fully commit to it, and I have to say that would be a whole lot harder to get my mind around if I was hearing that kind of crap from my doctor.

I agree to get a new one, someone with a little more of a "glass half full" attitude, and someone who is willing to acknowledge that you are already doing it!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

It's great to live in an age where we can take control of our own health and realize that doctors are just human and can be wrong. I'm glad you are empowered to think for yourself and seeking a second opinion. I would never judge anyone who had WLS but I don't think it is the only option before you have tried a whole lot of other things first. Good luck!!!
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There are those who have had WLS and have not been able to keep it off. Good news that you are going to see another doctor. Thes forums prove you can lose a lot of weight and keep it off.Good luck, keep your same determination , you know what is right for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

There are plenty of "lifers" here who have lost weight and kept it off, so your doctor's "impossible" just isn't true. Certainly it is generally true that yo-yo dieters (and many "lifers" fit that category) have a harder time losing weight, and PCOS can also make it harder but it is NOT impossible. Maybe ultimately you'll decide that WLS is right for you but a doctor who refuses to listen to you, actually talk with you, or consider any other alternatives isn't really much help to you.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Your doctor is under the assumption that really overweight people are lazy and can't completely commit to a new plan. I say you switch doctors and when you get to goal you go back just to show her just how wrong she was.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

How terribly unprofessional.

And really, I have nothing in the world against WLS - I know it's neither easy nor magic and I do know some people who have been very very successful with it but it's starting to look like the success rate isn't that much better than traditional dieting. And certainly it's just like any other diet in that you have to have your head in the game and be ready to do the work and make the changes that go along with it. Why would you press something so drastic on someone so obviously NOT INTERESTED?

You're right, new doc time.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Lovegoddess, I am so sorry you are dealing with such an uninformed dr! My first advice is go with your instinct and look for another doc to handle your issues. Endo's are NOT the only ones who treat hormonal/endocrine disorders and unless you are diabetic, I STRONGLY urge you not to see an Endo. I've seen internal med docs, OB/GYN's, and DO's who could run circles around the endo's I've seen in the past....just telling you my experience and this goes for LOTS of friends who have also not had much luck with an Endo. Before I was put on meds for thyroid, I was bleeding going on 11 months...you can imagine how anemic and weak I became. Anyway, this Endo I saw, rather than try me on a particular thyroid med, asked me "Why are you still hanging on to your uterus?" So trust me, in my experience, most of them have HORRIBLE bedside manners.

Glad you understand WLS is not the only way to lose weight. I have PCOS, IR, thyroid disease, adrenal issues, and just a PLETHORA of other endocrine/hormone imbalances. I basically have autoimmune malfunctions across the board. I have struggled with weight MOST of my life. I guess I wouldn't call myself a bonafide "lifer" as your doc put it b/c I had times where my hormones were swinging back and forth, so I have also been underweight many times.

I know IR and PCOS usually go hand in hand but the good news is....your IR may improve once you get some weight off.

Good luck and keep trying, both in finding a good dr and your weight loss journey...BOTH of which can be extremely tough!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Most doctors know very little about nutriton, exercise, and weight loss.

Obviously your Dr is perfect example.

Last edited by JohnP; 02-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #10  
Long Journey

Thanks for all the replies. Its good to actually here some feedback. I know that alot of people feel that Doctor's are like Gods and believe whatever they say. Well I am an RN at a well known hospital in Ohio and I deal with Doctors all the time. They most certainly are NOT gods! My mother completely agreed with the doctor but I had enough sense to say.. I will not be coming back! My girlfriend and I are all about losing weight naturally. It's hard we know and we have run into quite a few snags in our lives but its the only thing that I wanna do.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If you struggle with PCOS and IR I would highly suggest the South Beach Diet for you. Carbs are just not your friends and you would do well to stick to a diet of lower carb veggies and lean proteins and very limited fruit and whole grains. I have PCOS and IR also and meds didn't work for me- I had to do it all diet wise (metformin and all that makes me ILL) and it's been slow going but at least the weight is coming down.

I don't know if you have the money but Medifast is really great as well- it's a bit costly (around 250-300 a month) but it pretty much replaces all but one meal a day.

BTW your doctor is a B****. That's the rudest thing ever. I don't know what you are currently doing but check into low carb or Medifast for sure!

Last edited by beerab; 02-06-2011 at 10:28 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #12  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I am really glad that you don't need to be told that you need a new doc. Once you have gotten the new doc ask him/her about a drug called Januvia. It is a diabetes drug, but if you have PCOS you know that PCOS is treated with diabetes meds most of the time. I have been on it since July 2009. It has been a true blessing to me.

I would also recommend looking into the IR diet. It is a lower/healthier carb diet, but focuses on balancing the carbs that you DO eat with protein.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #13  
Long Journey

I bought the book about the IR diet and quite honestly I was too confused. I felt like such an idiot but I had a hard time figuring out what was proteins and what was "good" carbs. I gave up. I have done south beach before and I have thought about trying it again. I did it a long time ago and I wanna try it again. I am definitely going to ask my doctor about Januvia. I am going to just take care of everything with my ob/gyn. She also dabbles in reproductive endocrinology and I think that I just want to see her for it all. She is wonderful. I am never going to that other doctor again!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

My OB/GYN treats me for everything as well. It is good b/c I don't have to go to 10 diff. dr's for things that are all tangled together in one way or another.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegoddess1977 View Post
I have never felt so bullied by a doctor before.
What a great assessment of the situation. I'm glad you know to consult another doctor because this one just seems to want the money. I see by your ticker that you have already lost weight. Good job.

Last edited by Dusti; 02-07-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: wrong word used
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote