Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/208/145

Height: 5'7

Default Finding the time...

All the weight lose shows I watch such as The Biggest Loser and I used to be fat on MTV they work out 3 to 4 hours a day. As a stay at home mom I don't have that kind of time. How do you guys find the time? Any stay at home moms have any advice for me??

A little info...My husband and I are moving back to NY in July and I would like to lose 75 lbs by then...any ideas on how I can accomplish that or at least be half way there..
momto2girls08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a mom so I cant relate in that way but I am pretty busy. I carry 18 credits at school and I have 2 jobs so I find it hard to get my exercise in sometimes.
Usually I find a little block of time that I have available and do whatever I can in that time. Recently I enjoyed getting up early one day and going to the gym before class. Sometimes I will go to the gym in a break I have between 2 classes, or I'll go right after class before work.
Since you have children, I dont know what your situation is for getting out to a gym but you can always use things in your home. Running up and down stairs is great for not only cardio but building muscle. When I go to the grocery store I don't take the cart to the car anymore, I carry the bags myself for a nice arm workout.
Sometimes when I clean I will wear 3 lb ankle weights for a little added resistance.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Hi...stay at home Mom here (for the time being anyways..lol!) I don't workout 3-4 hours/day....I don't believe that is necessary. Anyways...diet is at least 80% of the fat loss equation, exercise is more for keeping things nice and tight!

Oh yeah...i'm also originally from NYC too! It's going to be a shock to your system moving back...the traffic is CRAZY!!!!

Ok...here's my schedule:

I run 4 days/week - 19 miles/wk (treadmill in winter - outdoors on warmer days)

Lifting work - I have one of those pull up bars that go under the door...I practice doing pull ups, every other day. I have it on my bathroom door, so I see it and will use it throughout the day. Doing this since September (at 209lbs), I can now lift my bodyweight 5 times for 3 sets. I can do all three styles of bodyweight lifting (palms facing away, palms facing towards, thumbs facing towards).

I eat fantastic delishous foods...really. International cuisine is my favorite. I just make them with lower calories, fat, sodium, and sugar. YUM! I cook once per week/bi-weekly, portion my meals in these cute little plastic containers and store in the freezer.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

You certainly don't have to workout 3+ hours a day! Do your kiddos nap? You could fit in a workout then with some of the awesome videos that are available. Take them in a stroller/wagon for a walk. Dance or jump around with them. Dance and move super fast when you're playing with them or moving around cleaning.

Whatever you decide to do, plan for it, schedule it in to the day and stick to it!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I don't even come close to working out 3 hours a day, it's just not necessary.

But as a full time working mom, I have to make some serious sacrifices to find the time. I get up 4xs a week at 4:30AM and run. I then rely on DH to take care of things 2xs a week so I can hit the gym for weights. You just have to do what it takes if losing weight is important to you - you must make it a priority.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

My son is young so I work out during his morning nap (45 minutes) or I take him to the gym daycare. I highly suggest joining a gym with a daycare - it allows you to really be able to focus on yourself and your workout. A good solid workout should not take more than 45-60 minutes maximum.

The majority of your weight loss comes from diet. Planning meals is key. Not sure how old your children are but if they are old enough, you can involve them in the cooking process, make it fun

The weight loss shows are just that - television. Just like real CSI do not walk around in high heels or touch things without gloves, or real female lawyers do not wear short skirts and sleep with everyone It's unrealistic.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

I go to the gym once my children are in bed ..... usually about 8.30 -9pm .... I use to do the mornings before they woke up but my husband now has early starts ..... 3 hours a day is unrealistic .... but to get anything in you do need to prioritise ......

I really have given up couch/TV for the Gym .... which is a sacrifice worth making .... plus if on the cardio machines I even get to choose the programme
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I don't know I haven't figured it out yet! But I understand the time crunch. I work 12 hour night shift, am finishing my bachelors degree and have an 8 hour clinical each week for that, plus studying, and a 5 month old who I don't see enough.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

These shows are not at all realistic. Do what you can and do it on a regular basis. You will see results.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I am a SAHM, but I belong to my local YMCA and use their Child Watch while I attend my exercise classes. It gives me time to work on me and allows my children to interact with other kids and socialize. Is that a option for you?
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #11  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

workouts like wt training (anything around the house can work as a wt, or use your body weight) and interval training are really time effecient, if done intensely. even if you just jump rope in place a few min. at a time, it will improve your fitness. then just improve from there. everyone has 5 min

also if you have stairs, extra trips up and down is more cal. even better if you are running! if you add it up, 1 hour of running stairs is a huge amount of cal. maybe even 2k cal. burned. of course i can't do that all at once, but throughout the day i use the stairs alot. remember every extra helps!
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote