Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #1  
Super Mom

S/C/G: 250/250/115

Height: 5'1"

Default Exercise, post surgery-help

Hi all. I had major foot surgery in December and I am itching to get back to exercising! I feel so sluggish, and working out is my ace to lose weight too! The only problem was...I was incapacitated totally for about a month and that was around the holidays too!

Any suggestions on working my way back? Any post surgery support forum?

Thanks!
Sarah
FitSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You might try posting this in "Dieting with Obstacles"

About 1 month before hitting goal, I had knee surgery. I was a total fitness junkie at that point, and was itching to get back to exercise. Unfortunately, that made me want to rush into things TOO quickly. I resisted that urge, and thank goodness...otherwise, it's likely I would have taken much, much longer to heal.

Do you have a physical therapist? They're SUCH great resources for getting mobility back in an injured spot. I saw one for my knee, and they helped me to build back up from post-surgery pain to full motion. They helped me with a slow progression of exercises, so I didn't overtax the injured body part too soon. Seriously, so helpful.

Also, remember that even if your lower body is injured, you can still do a LOT with your upper body. My gym had a cardio machine that was essentially a stationary bike for your arms, and I used that. I also lifted a LOT of upper body weights. I got STRONG up top, which not only kept me active, but also meant crutches were a world easier. So keep moving, even if you can't move your feet.

Good Luck!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote