Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/202/170

Height: 6'0

Unhappy I wanna scream!

Why is it that when i start eating healthy, im always still hungry?? I want chocolate and fast food and yummy stuff.....and all im eating is healthy stuff and its hard! I got upset a little bit ago and i ate a candy bar and drank a dr. Pepper and now ill feel "guilty" all night. I want to be thinner but i miss my fatty foods! please help
oklahomachick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #2  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 261/259/155

Height: 5'5"

I used to have the same problem. For the past week I've been adding more fiber to my diet, and I've been able to eat between 1200-1400 without feeling hungry or even just wanting to eat out of boredome. I can hardly believe it's working. I used to try to get the suggested fiber amount of 25 - 35 grams a day, but I've decided to try adding more and it's worked. I did a lot of reading and research before deciding to do this to make sure it was safe. I'm now eating 50 - 60 grams a day and I hardly feel hungry at all. If you don't usually eat a lot of fiber be sure to add it slowly. There are a lot of myths out there about eating fiber. I'm finding they are not true. Weird, gross and maybe a little too much information, but also my poop and farts no longer stink!! I read that would be one of the side effects and I can report it's true!

Good luck! And don't give up!

Last edited by SkiniJeni; 02-01-2011 at 09:08 PM.
SkiniJeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #3  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

Try "good" fats like fish, and nuts. type in healthy fats in google. After that if you still have a craving I would suggest having a "free" day once a week where you can eat a dessert or a fast food meal. That way all week you can look forward to that day. Having a a free day once a week will slow your weight loss BUT you will still lose weight. That is what I do.
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

You're drawing a false dichotomy between "yummy stuff" and "healthy stuff." There's a lot more overlap there than you think.

You might be hungry because you're just plain not getting enough volume in your meals. I like to eat until I'm full. Not stuffed, not uncomfortable, but really truly I-mean-it full. If you finish a meal and are scrounging your finger around on the plate to get every crumb and still feel like you could eat another whole meal (and I know what that's like because I've done it), you probably need to take a good look at your food choices.

What's a typical day's menu for you?

To give you some idea of what I'm talking about with volume, here's what I've eaten today (so far, I still have a 400-calorie snack planned):

- cereal with milk
- an orange
- a grilled chicken and artichoke wrap with spinach, onions, and feta
- a salad because I haven't eaten one in, like, a month and wanted it
- two black bean tacos on corn tortillas
- a black bean burrito on a whole wheat tortilla
- a whole lotta salsa
- a chocolate ice cream sandwich (they're Skinny Cows, but I limit these to a couple a week and tonight is choco-night).

It feels like a lot of food, so I'm comfortably well-fed a couple of hours after dinner/dessert. It tasted good, so I'm not bored or feeling deprived. I've been doing this for months and I could do it forever because it's actually not bad at all once you fuse the concepts of "healthy" and "yummy" in your mind and mouth.

Free days work for some people, but they never did for me; I spent so much time looking ahead to that day that I forgot to enjoy the food on my plate today. Why not look forward to dinner every night by learning how to make healthy stuff that tastes good?
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #5  

thanks ladies for all your help! and if yall want to know what i ate today it goes like this......breakfast-fiber one cereal, lunch-slim fast and banana, dinner-a small lean meal tv dinner and an apple. Am i not eating enough for the day? I feel so hungry. Im used to eating 2 fast food meals and all other kinds of junk food and now im not anymore. What am i doing wrong?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Count your calories for a week and see what the numbers are. It sounds like you are eating too little. There are great sites like calorieking.com and sparkpeople where you can see calories for different things.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with SkiniJeni about fiber....and i would also add that you need more protein. I make sure that I have a balanced meal/snack everytime with carbs and protein. If I eat something like cereal that just has carbs, I am going to be hungry an hour later. However, if I really want that cereal (healthy cereal!), I will also eat 3-4 egg whites so that my body has the carbs for energy and the protein to balance it out.
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #7  
Amanda Swan

S/C/G: 231/220/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
You're drawing a false dichotomy between "yummy stuff" and "healthy stuff." There's a lot more overlap there than you think.

You might be hungry because you're just plain not getting enough volume in your meals. I like to eat until I'm full. Not stuffed, not uncomfortable, but really truly I-mean-it full. If you finish a meal and are scrounging your finger around on the plate to get every crumb and still feel like you could eat another whole meal (and I know what that's like because I've done it), you probably need to take a good look at your food choices.

What's a typical day's menu for you?

To give you some idea of what I'm talking about with volume, here's what I've eaten today (so far, I still have a 400-calorie snack planned):

- cereal with milk
- an orange
- a grilled chicken and artichoke wrap with spinach, onions, and feta
- a salad because I haven't eaten one in, like, a month and wanted it
- two black bean tacos on corn tortillas
- a black bean burrito on a whole wheat tortilla
- a whole lotta salsa
- a chocolate ice cream sandwich (they're Skinny Cows, but I limit these to a couple a week and tonight is choco-night).

It feels like a lot of food, so I'm comfortably well-fed a couple of hours after dinner/dessert. It tasted good, so I'm not bored or feeling deprived. I've been doing this for months and I could do it forever because it's actually not bad at all once you fuse the concepts of "healthy" and "yummy" in your mind and mouth.

Free days work for some people, but they never did for me; I spent so much time looking ahead to that day that I forgot to enjoy the food on my plate today. Why not look forward to dinner every night by learning how to make healthy stuff that tastes good?
your meals sound amazing.. especially the grilled artichoke wrap. mmm
amandaswan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #8  

so is it best to cut out all carbs like the cereal and bread and stuff? Cuz thats what makes me more full. And i do know fiber is good. But i dont get a lot of meats in my diet and not a lot of veggies which i know i need!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomachick26 View Post
thanks ladies for all your help! and if yall want to know what i ate today it goes like this......breakfast-fiber one cereal, lunch-slim fast and banana, dinner-a small lean meal tv dinner and an apple. Am i not eating enough for the day? I feel so hungry. Im used to eating 2 fast food meals and all other kinds of junk food and now im not anymore. What am i doing wrong?
You're not getting much bang for your buck at all! Can you distribute your calories differently and eat more high volume low calorie foods? Try making vegetable stir fries or just cutting up food into small pieces so it takes longer to eat it. I wouldn't be satisfied with that either (especially the slim fast and the banana).

As for carbs, that's up to the individual. I calorie count and depending on the day/what I have around, I sometimes have pasta or rice. But it does look like you're eating a lot of carbs right now, which could leave you feeling hungrier. Try adding in eggs?

You also could be experiencing withdrawal from all the sugar and stuff from the fast food/candy bars/sodas. I'm recovering from sugar binging and going "cold turkey" no desserts, and I twitch like a drug addict and have mood swings and things that I believe are related to "coming down" off all the sugar.

Stay strong and keep your eyes on the prize!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/see tracker/200

Carbs are not necessarily bad, but you need to learn the difference between good carbs and bad carbs. I eat baked potatoes, rice (brown rice), and pasta (whole grain) which are my comfort carbs. However, like has been mentioned, try to get more bulk. Sometimes I will eat 3 servings of green beans (I love green beans) with my dinner just because they are very low calorie but "fill me up".

You can get fiber from things like beans, certain vegetables and fruits, fiber enriched cereals and granola bars, even yogurt.

Think of it this way, try to pack as much punch nutrition wise into everything you eat. Look for vitamins, fiber, protein....the things that keep your body healthy. Sometimes I will play a little game with myself to see if I can get more vitamins and fiber into my dinner vs. the night before's dinner. You are feeding your body NUTRIENTS. We need these things to survive and to feel better! Want shinier hair/nails and soft skin....try eating more fish and good oils. Want amazing acne free skin? Drink TONS of water.

Try to think of food as a gift to your body and I think you will have an easier time figuring out what to eat.
somethingnew912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #11  

krampus i like what you said about keeping your eyes on the prize. That makes so much sence! Thanks. And somethingnew, im gonna change up my meal plans starting tomorrow thanks girls
Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Plenty of great advice already given on this issue but I have one more thing to add. Your body is used to a greater amount of calories and it will take time to adjust. Aside from making better food choices that are more filling and will give you a greater "bang for the buck" to a certain extent you just need to suck it up and your body will adjust.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Plenty of great advice already given on this issue but I have one more thing to add. Your body is used to a greater amount of calories and it will take time to adjust. Aside from making better food choices that are more filling and will give you a greater "bang for the buck" to a certain extent you just need to suck it up and your body will adjust.
yeah i do need to just suck it up, and get rid of the sugar cravings lol i totally get what your saying
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #14  
This is MY YEAR! XD

Here are a few pieces of advice that might help you stick to eating healthly
1. Whenever you really want something sweet when your depressed even though you know you shouldn't, clench your fist. Clenching your fist re-enforces your decision to not eat sweets.
2. A lot of times when our bodies are craving sweets, they really need protein. A quick and easy fix is a spoonful of peanut butter, otherwise known as a "peanut butter pop." It's not only delicious but it helps to get rid of the "need/want" to eat sweets.

I know I've been there, and done that, so your not alone. (for instance in the past two days I've been offered a soda by several people, more than once. Yeah i'd love to have one, but I gotta lay off that stuff. XD ) You can do it, I believe I can speak for my fellow members by saying we are here for you!
InItToWinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #15  

thank you InItToWinIt........thats pretty cool, i didnt know that, about making a fist. And thats great that you have been turning down soda! Its hard not to want one. Ive been trying to drink tons of water!