Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #1  
mandagrl

S/C/G: 268.4/248/199

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Question Tips for healthy eating and travel?

I'm stressing a bit because I have to travel to CT for work tomorrow through Thursday. Any tips for eating in airports? Also worried because I think the inn I'll be in doesn't have a gym and the temp will be single digits-so doubt I'll wanna walk in that! Are there any good exercise sites or YouTube videos y'all recommend?

Thanks!!!
mandagrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #2  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I'd try to avoid eating in airports altogether if it's possible. You can't bring your own liquids onto the plane, but you should be able to pack some healthy food of your own in tupperware. I've absolutely seen other people pulling out their own snacks/meals on the plane of in the airport. It'll save you money--airport prices are insane!--and let you control your plan.

Best of luck!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #3  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

When I have to workout at home I like to watch Leslie Sansone. She has really good walk at home programs that have simple moves but will keep u sweating. I know she has a 1,3, or 5 mile walk DVD. I'm sure you may be able to find it on youtube!
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I travel for work too and in my experience, getting to the gym will be hard, even if the hotel you stay at has one.

I have focused instead on eating well and trying to maintain my weight rather than lose. In airports, don't eat any of the food. Bring your own snacks from home - it will be healthier!!! Buy water at the airport, of course, to drink. When you are in restaurants, avoid the typical stuff. I find ordering salads keeps me on track a lot better. I also eat eggs in the morning when I travel because it keeps me full longer and I don't have to fall for tempting cookies or other snacks that might be provided.

Good luck!!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #5  

Don't eat at the airport may be reasonable advice, but as someone who doesn't do well hauling containers with me, and who lives where one must fly or boat in, no other way- my hints are slightly different.

I take individual servings of jerky, lite string cheese, a banana and/or apple with me in a ziplock bag in either my carry on or my purse.(I carry a fairly large purse, a healthy back bag.) I buy a bottle of water once through security, and look for a place to get a salad, if I have a layover between flights. Like the above poster, I have eggs for breakfast, as they are more satisfying.

In my checked baggage I carry a couple of teabags, instant oatmeal packets and stevia packets for a food emergency. At my hotel, if possible, I take the courtesy van to the nearest market or pharmacy and get bottled water and fresh fruit. Leslie Sansone workouts are a good idea if there is no gym I guess, I have been lucky and so far the hotels I have stayed in in the winter either have gyms or pools, or are near enough a mall for me to go walking.

It seems to me that the choices are getting better in airports, just awfully expensive. Airline choices are not good however, at least the ones I must use.

Last edited by Bunti; 01-30-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want in a restaurant even if it's not on the menu. Virtually any place will do a lean protein and steamed vegetables; ask for no oil, sauces, etc. It made me nervous at first but now I do it all the time and it's never been a big deal.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #7  
mandagrl

S/C/G: 268.4/248/199

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Thanks for the great suggestions! Can you take fruit through security? I thought about packing some oranges. I did use a few of my daughters snack bags Abd bagged up some 100 cal portions of veggie thins and things like that for nights in the hotel when I'm tempted to hit the vending machine! I called the place I'm staying and they do have a fitness center as well as a restaurant onsite that serves all locally grown/raised organic meat and veggies as well as local grain fed fish, so that's awesome! Just praying I don't have to pass a Cinnabon in the airport!
mandagrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Pack your own food for the plane ride. If you have a laptop, go to amazon and download some exercise video on demand. I have the leslie sansone one for powerwalking 4 miles. I can't remember what else they have. If not look up the tv listing and see if you can find an exercise channel there a ahead of time. Bring some handweights or a stepper
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote