Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Will someone please tell me about the 5 day pouch test?

My pouch works...its about about a cup and a half in size, I still dump if I get the wrong things (just not as hard as I did at first), and have thrown up in the last few weeks because I didn't chew my hamberger patty enough.

But I do want to lose the 30 lbs that will put me at goal (something I never reached) and I am at a loss as to how to do it.

I exercise an hour 3-5 days a week, I have been eating a very low carb diet (most of my carbs are coming from veggies and coatings on meat) and I am still not losing a lb.

Does anyone have an idea of what the pouch test is supposed to do exactly? Is it a way to jump start weight loss?

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

Angela,
I have done the five day pouch test and it really does do what it claims. Here are some answers to your question from the site. Hope this helps.

The 5 Day Pouch Test is first intended to allow your pouch to rest, just like right after surgery. Next, it is a chance to go through the stages of the post-surgery diet in a quick and practical time period. During this time you should feel a tightness in your pouch, particularly if you have been
eating slider foods or drinking liquids with your meals. The focus on proteins will help bring your metabolic hormones into balance (vs. insulin highs and lows) which will help burn fat and reduce hunger cravings. The purpose is not to lose weight, however, many people report weight loss as a happy side effect to gaining control of their eating habits and returning to a protein adequate diet.

The 5 Day Pouch Test should be done if you are feeling out of control with your eating, if you have fallen into a slider-carb eating pattern, if you are at a weight loss plateau or have gained weight. It can also be done simply for cleansing and appreciating your weight loss surgery tool. Many patients have successfully done the five day pouch test and followed the five days by repeating Days 4 and 5 over and over. Other patients have elected to include extra days of liquids in their plan. It is perfectly OK to adjust the plan to your specific needs.

Last edited by Gelene; 01-30-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #3  

cool! do you recommend buying the book or are there any free resources online?

My pouch might need a good rest...not sure, but if it helps, then fabulous!

Thanks!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-30-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #4  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

The sticky thread above has the plan listed out and some of the current members have done it. It also links to a website . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Ang I did it and it sent me into such a binge it was not worth it
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #6  

Thanks Keir, I read some of the sticky, checked into what it's used for, and decided that I didn't need to do it. Though my pouch may need a rest (sometimes it's still painful to eat), I'm not eating out of control and I don't need to have my pouch smaller...I would never get enough nutrition in! I tend to easily slip into starvation mode, its why I gain the 15 lbs back in the first place! What I need to do is keep tracking my food, eat a little last fat in my diet, and mix up the exercise.

Thanks everyone!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-31-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I feel most in control with no refined carbs and having a shake for a meal or a snack
If you want a journal or support I'm here for you! I was 8 pounds from my goal now I'm 30 I'm getting this off Dammit!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #8  

I was 14 lbs from goal..Now I'm 30. I would love to get this weight back off.

I feel the best when eating as low carb as I can. So far its the carbs I eat that hurt my pouch. I am trying to find proteins that are not as high fat as I have been eating though. I have been going over my 45g fat limit almost everyday to get enough calories in. I think that might be putting the breaks on my weight loss. I got soooo tired of chicken after surgery! hehehehehe But gonna try some new chicken recipes today!

Thanks for the support, honey, I need it!

Angela