Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default For me 42 is the scary number

I am 41, just turned in December. And right around my birthday I discovered that I had super high blood pressure (went to the doctor finally because of threee months of headaches), a very under active thyroid and high blood sugar. They aren't want to diagnose diabetes 'yet' as my thyroid could be messing with my blood sugars too. My blood pressure is now under control will meds (want to get this better or without meds with losing weight and exercising) and my thyroid is getting closer to being normal (they will check that again in 4 weeks) and they will make a determination about my blood sugars in mid April.

So, I got the wake-up call LOUD and clear that my health and weight were making me a ticking time bomb. Add to that, my father died at the age of 42 of a heart attack. He was not overweight, but a heavy smoker and had a bad diet and very serious/life threatening accident when he was 32 - all things I thought was the reason. Maybe not... Huge wake up call.

So, once the blood pressure was normalized, I started exercising and eating a low carb/high fat diet. I DO NOT want to be on insulin.

I need to make a lifestyle change -period and I am giving myself this year to get myself there. So, when I turn 42 in December, I can not fear the same fate my father did.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

BBB, good luck dear!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #3  
Melissa

Thanks Bella. You live very near me - small world. We moved to Columbia, MD a bit over a year ago and we LOVE it here. I have all those trails to discover, with a lake viewable from my front yard with a 1.5 mile path around it. I'm getting my GPS heart rate monitor in a few days and I'll keep chugging along with walking and adding aerobics.

I don't know why I didn't start earlier. Fear of failure I think, but better to try, than give up. And right now I feel I can conquer the world!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Keep that feeling going strong, BBB! You are making a great choice for your health! Don't worry about not starting earlier - you're starting NOW and that's more than a lot of folks can say
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #5  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

My dad died when he was 54 and my mom now has Type 2 diabetes/high blood pressure due to obesity, so I understand why you are motivated.

An amazing 42nd birthday gift to yourself would be getting healthier. It's a one day at a time thing, so be gentle if you aren't perfect in your program.

By the way, we are twins! I turned 41 too on December 7th. Nice to have a Sagittarius sister
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #6  
Woman on a Mission

S/C/G: 205/195/150

Height: 5'6"

Smile

We all have to make a start at some point. I am very happy that you are making yours BEFORE you have any serious health situations. With a commitment to diet and exercise, you may be able to reverse some of those health issues. Congratulations on making the start, taking the first steps. Best of luck to you!
Zoradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #7  
Melissa

Thanks guys! 7 weeks into this and I'm down 15 pounds, I've halved my blood pressure meds already and my thyroid is getting rechecked the end of this week. It's probably not in line yet, but getting closer.

I'm eating well, only ONE TIME did I have a single simple carb in 7 weeks and I don't even crave them and I exercise almost every day. I'm feeling better and more hopeful.

And I thought of another age 42 things. My mom was completely through menopause sometime when she was 42 and I'm sure a lot of that was based on her bad health and obesity.

So, I'm starting strong and hope to stay that way. Feeling better and healthier is a big motivator to keep it up!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Good for you Berry! It's amazing what a few changes can do, eh??? Halving your meds already, awesome!!! here's to a long & healthy life
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #9  
Ham 'n CheeseHead!

S/C/G: 215/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi BBB,

Sounds like you're making wonderful progress! I have high blood pressure too, and a loooong history of heart disease in my family--I'm turning 40 next month, and I'm determined to get healthy, and get off my meds.

I love your walking ticker! That's a great idea! Staying motivated on my treadmill is going to be a big factor in my weight loss(I just started my journey today...) maybe once I can get a ticker, I can do something like that--if I look at it every day, it might help!

Keep up your good work!
Squeeker is offline   Reply With Quote