Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

Height: 5'5"

Default Still recovering from last Saturday night

So, I'm dissapointed in myself - I was 270 last friday morning, 10lbs in 3 weeks. Everything was going well, seeing fairly steady downward movement with just a few days of fluctuations upwards. Then saturday went out with friends.

I didn't have time to eat much saturday, but what I did get to eat was portioned out and good stuff. Then I went out, first time in a while and definately first time while OP. I drank A LOT on sat. night (Vodka Sour with a splash of Grenadine, stupid. I wasn't planning on that much, it just happened). I didn't eat but 500 calories all day Sunday (couldn't keep anything down untill 8pm). No surprise, I was up 2 lbs up on Monday. I KNOW I did NOT overEAT by 7,000 cals so - no prob, water weight/dehydration. Right? Well, I don't know, I must have drank all those calories for reals because I have been really good about drinking allllll my water this week to flush out any addtl. water weight, I packed lots of veggies and fruit and had great portions all week. I'm working midnights so cut my calories down to 1200-1300 because I spend more time sleeping than normal. Friday 'morning' I'm STILL 271. But, its so weird because I don't really have a 'morning' to weigh in like usual since my sleep/awake cycle is so random during my midnight weeks. So I don't know. I'm not going to cave, just keep on eating well and portioning out.

Any advice for the future weeks like this, other than not drinking? I have already decided drinking heavily like that just isn't worth it for one night of fun. What do you drink when you do go out with friends? What tips do you have to curb party tendancies?

In the past (while in serious weight loss mode) I have volunteered to be the DD for the night and that works great. No pressure to drink because I'm the driver and I still get to be out and social. I think I will be doing that more when I need a 'fun fix'.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/180/125

Height: 5"2

Hi, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but! I read your post and wanted to ask, do you always work the graveyard shift?

I'm asking because I"m a nurse, and I work 2 weeks of days, 2 weeks of nights, every month. And, I will tell you, my weigh loss is wonky. I'm trying to track it so that I can figure out a pattern, but haven't been able to as of yet.

I know last year, when I was doing my nights, I wouldn't lost a single lb, and then have a woosh when I went back on days, despite how I ate, what I did.

I worked evenings this summer, then went back to the same rotation this fall. Now, I barely lose during my days, but will often have a woosh during my nights, but can't predict when it's going to happen. And also, I have to allow for dehydration or just plain old not eating enough, because often by my third night I feel nauseous, or get too busy to sit down and eat or drink my water.

I've often wanted to start a thread asking people if they work overnights and how it affects their weight loss......I'm not sure if this is what is going with you, but I do from experience it can affect it!
hannahmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

Height: 5'5"

That could be part of it I spose. I thought about starting a graveyard shift thread too! It is so wierd without regular meal times or awake times! (I don't sleep straight through during the day like a regular person would sleep through the night, I usually end up taking a series of long naps spaced throughout the day. ? that make sense?)

I usually only have to do one week of midnight shifts per month and this is my first time while calorie counting. I know I have to have a real loss here soon, I have been too good not to. I am interested to see when it happens, if being back on day shift next week jump starts anything?

For the record - as far as meals go (anyone, please let me know if this approach isn't a good idea) I have no real meals during my week of midnights, I pack a cooler and graze (*edit*on small amounts) whenever I am hungry, whether its during the day or night. I do set my 'day' of calories from midnight to midnight because I'm still using fitday and that is when it resets to another day (really? duh.)

Last edited by BigBlueStar; 01-29-2011 at 07:18 AM.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote