Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Default Maintainers-Eating before, now after

Quick question friends!

The most interesting thing happened to me at lunch today. I went to order a sandwich, and they had two sizes, 6'' and 12''. The guy taking the orders looked at me, and automatically assumed I wanted a 6'', but commented first that I needed a 12''. I laughed it off, and placed my order for the 6'' sandwich. Then it hit me...when I was over weight, I remembered getting asked if I wanted a 12'' or 6'', I remember always being asked if I wanted things super sized, I remember being watched at food gatherings to see "how much I was going to eat", or served a little extra, and I remember being asked if I wanted seconds, etc!!

Do any of you remember that, or have noticed that? When does society stop assuming we are hungry? When does society actually accept us as one of their own to run and frolic in the carefree world of not having an unhealthy relationship with food? Also, do any of you feel more comfortable eating in front of people? Overweight-I'd feel embarrassed and I'd get maybe one cookie if I was in the presence of others, Current Weight- I shamelessly take two cookies if I want to. It's almost as though my mind has been triggered to think that if you're thin, you won't be judged as much eating more, than when you are overweight. Do I make any sense? This was really just a ramble of how quickly things change from one size to another.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

When I was heavier I definitely felt like every watched what and how much I ate and judged my choices. People would also offer me food a lot more.
I havent actually gone to a restaurant since being on plan (10 months) but at the very beginning when I was super busy I went to subway for lunch almost everyday. The people there had my order (6 in turkey breast on wheat with lettuce tomato and onion please )memorized and I didnt even have to order haha I don't feel embarressed eating in public anymore though. I typically pack my lunches and eat with my friends in our student restaurants/dining halls.
The people that know me would continue to offer things but finally got the hint that I wasnt every going to accept their unhealthy offerings and that I had my own foods to keep me happy.
Now that I've hit goal I'm getting a lot of "youre way too skinny, let me make you a sandwich" or "Do you eat enough" but thats an entire different topic haha
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Eating with others is still a little uncomfortable for me.

I was terribly embarrassed while dining out with friends the other day. They're a husband & wife. The wife drinks one glass of wine after another & barely picks at her food & eats slowly. The husband eats & drinks with enjoyment. He watched me take apart a portion of grilled swordfish in short order & said: "My, you have a hearty appetite."

Compared with his wife, yeah. But I wasn't able to get my wits together to make that association after hearing that comment. I actually felt ashamed. As if what he'd said was a polite suburban Connecticut euphemism for: "You eat like a pig." (How many women dream of being called "hearty"? That's an adjective for beef stew, lumberjacks & big breakfasts.)

So, no, I don't eat with complete confidence, now that I've lost all that weight. I still worry about being perceived as a fat girl. I've still got "phantom fat" that I'm conscious of sometimes.

Last edited by saef; 02-03-2011 at 09:22 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #4  

i dont think i pay all that much attention to what bigger people eat out in public. i have noticed though that i see alot of extremely overweight people in some traditionally unhealthy places to eat when i go. like buffets, some greasy fast food if i dare to happen to go( and yes i liked them alot myself back when i was bigger. so when i'm some place like that now, it helps to put a check on what i eat myself.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote